Favorite Bannermen by region and why

UFT

from eachĀ region of westeros. please say who and why

here is mine

riverlands: house frey. yeah odd choice i know but i like their sigil, and are good villains in a kind of love to hate way. plus they're really powerful and have good fighters

vale: house corbray. they produced some badasses, including gwayne and lyn. tie between them and house baelish

stormlands: house connington. jon connington is very interesting and a staunch dragon loyalist. plus they have a cool sigil and seat.

crownlands: house valeryon. they have a strong navy and association with the sea, strong connection to targaryens and are very targ loyalist.

north: house bolton.. they are great villains, creepy, interesting lore, plusĀ roose is my favorite character in the show. plus i like the ambitious bannermen who won't just sit and bow down.

dorne: house dayne. honestly just because i don't know anything about the others. also arthur dayne's the ultimate badass lore wise.

iron islands: house harlaw. again like the daynes, theres no one else worth mentioning. i love viking pirate badasses either way.

westerlands: house reyne. they lost of course but the lore was interesting and it lends alot of theories to futureĀ  characters who may have survived.Ā 

reach: house redwyne. the arbor has a strong connection to its islander nature, resulting in a powerful navy.Ā 

Riverlands-House Blackwood bc ofĀ Bloodraven himself and also bcĀ egg married a Blackwood. Their 1st men blood and also their dues with the brackens is interestingĀ 

Vale-House Royce I like the runic bronze armor. I like Yohn Royce and is ability as a warrior and Myranda is kind of fun to read. Their origin story is cool

Reach- I like House redwyne as well. If anything for their power/wealth

Westerlands- House Clegane has been the only interesting vassal in this regionĀ 

Dorne- HouseĀ Dayne strictly bc of Arthur dayne

Stormlands- Easily house Seaworthy lol but I also think the Caron's of nightsong are interesting for both their longevity (since the age of heroes) and love of musicĀ 

Crownlands= Baratheon of Dragonstone (yes, it counts!)

Dorne= It feels cliche, but I have to go with House Dayne of Starfall. We don't know as much about the Dornish houses as we do about, say those in the North. So when you have such characters as Arthur Dayne, Edric Dayne, and even Ashara Dayne, it's hard to compete with that.

Iron Islands= Hmm, I guess I'd go with Blacktyde. Baelor was one of the smarter of the Ironborn, but unfortunately it got him killed by Euron in a tragically ironic fashion.

North= Manderly. They have the most interesting backstory, along with one of the most interesting characters of the whole series.

Reach= Tough call, but I'm going with House Fossoway of New Barrel. Jon Fossoway seems like a decent man, and Raymun Fossoway heroically defied all expectations to support Duncan in the trial by seven.

Riverlands= Admittedly, I like all of the Blackwoods except for Bloodraven, who I really think comes off as an unlikable, even villainous, character. But that said, the rest of the Blackwoods (and their backstory) more than makes up for Bloodraven.

Stormlands= I'm going to go with House Dondarrion. Beric proved to be an enduring character, not just because of his multiple deaths. He faced the horrors of war but refused to let them turn him into a monster, and he fought for a noble cause if ever there was one. I'm hoping that he isn't the last we see of House Dondarrion, especially if they're anything like him.

Vale= Royce, by far. Yohn Royce alone would win this place, but there's also his sons Waymar "Dance with me" and Robar Royce. Not to mention their fascinating family history.

Westerlands= Another tough call, but I'll go with House Banefort. Their backstory is eerie, and I just wish we got to see more of their house in the series, because what little we get of Quenton Banefort seems promising.

Ā 

Baratheon of DragonstoneĀ 

Ā 

but do they count, though? they're simply the royal family.

cadet branches are more like lannisters of lannisport and arryns of gulltown.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Riverlands - House Lothson: Honestly, i just like vampiresses

The Crownlands -Ā House Valeryon: I like my mental image of their aestheticĀ 

The North -Ā House Reed: I love the idea of Greywater Watch

Dorne - House Dayne: Can't beat Ashara and Arthur tbh

The Westerlands -Ā House Reyne: I love how they were a foil to the upcoming Lannister trio.

The Reach -Ā House Hightower: They're pretty, they're rich, they're smart, they're magical.Ā 

Ā 

For the other regions i dont have favorites

North: Umbers. They all sound like brutes, somewhat honorable. I like them.

Westerlands: Crakehalls, 'cause I like boars. Not roasted, mind you. I just like the animal.

Reach: Bulwer. 'Cause I also like ox. See them a lot near my small town. Besides, Bulwer knights should look awesome with a horned helm.

Crownlands: all Cracklaw Houses. They sound like the crannogmen or the hobbits of the continent.

Iron Islands: Farwynds of the Lonely Light. The mystery.

Ā 

North: Ā Bolton, 2nd most powerful and somehow managed to survive to the times of the books. "Our Blades are Sharp" is a great house words. Also Roose is a great character, even if Bolt-On isn't true.

Riverlands: Blackwood and not only because I really dislike House Bracken. Sweet raven feather cloak, incredible history, marries into a lot of important families.Ā 

Vale: Royce, an excellent badass family. Mysterious bronze armor, awesome family members, even had a Valyrian steel sword Lamentation but lost it during the Dance.

Iron Islands: Harlaw, largest and richest family. Cool nicknames Reader, Knight. Rodrick is the only one with the balls to talk shit to Euron. Harras the Knight has one of the greatest offscreen moments of the series in the taking of the Shield Islands.

Crownlands: Velaryon, the Old, the True, the Brave. Excellent history, Valyrian exiles, the naval powah of the Targaryen's for centuries.

Westerlands: Crakehall, and not just because all their women are sluts (Walder Frey's words not mine).Ā  Boars are cool and they are a house of big strong warriors and seem to be lots of fun.

Stormlands: Caron, old Marcher house. Castle is called Nightsong, awesome name and history. A family of warriors and singers. Rolland the Bastard of Nightsong, is a strong supporter of Stannis and what a nickname.

Reach: Hightower, old and powerful. Could be mages and manipulators of the highest order. So much mystery and what is Leyton doing at the top of that tower?

Dorne: Dayne, because SotM and all the other mystery.

Ā 

North:Ā  House Manderly - they've got everything, money, a navy, knights, but still a Northern sense of loyalty, what's not to like?Ā  Plus I've always been partial to tridents.Ā Ā 

Riverlands:Ā  House Mallister - Seagard sounds nice and I love their sigil.Ā Ā 

Westerlands:Ā  Crakehalls sound like tough SOBs who would be useful when push comes to shove, plus I just don't know enough about the other houses (Tywin didn't let them develop any personality)

Vale:Ā  Only once choice here, by far and away, the Royces!Ā  All the courtliness and knightliness of the Vale with a respect for the Old Ways that seems so Northern.....

Stormlands:Ā  House Dondarrion if only because Blackhaven sounds pretty awesome and their sigil is so 80's that I can't take my eyes off of it.

Crownlands: Have to agree with King Merrett and go with the Cracklaw Houses -Ā they seem like a real 'Murican bunch, I feel like if I called my banners they would show up with F-150s and shotguns ready.Ā  House Velaryon is a close second because who else has a Valyrian steel axe?Ā Ā 

Iron Islands:Ā  House Harlaw unless the Farwynds of the Lonely Light really can skinchange.Ā Ā 

The Reach:Ā  House Hightower for many of the same reasons that I picked House Manderly, so much intrigue going on there between the tower and the Citadel, I wish we saw more of them and Oldtown.Ā Ā 

Dorne:Ā  House Yronwood - they must be scheming to try to overtake the Martells, Dayne seems cooler but less interesting (getting back to the OP)

North: the Reeds.Loyal, resourceful, and humble.

Iron Islands: House Harlaw. The Reader is a BAMF.

Westerlands: Marbrand. Although to be honest, we don't know much about the Westerland houses outside of Lannister and Clegane.

Stormlands: House Seaworth. That may be a cop-out, but it's true.

The Reach: House Webber, solely because of Rohanne.

The Vale: Corbray. They've always seemed interesting.

The Crownlands: the Velaryons, who are basically Targaryen-lite

I've always had trouble caring about houses in Dorne and the Riverlands.

Ā 

North
I already talked about this in theĀ Favourite non-Great House in the NorthĀ thread. My three favourite Stark vassals are Mormont, Reed and Mandley. The Reeds are great because they are sneaky little devils who use traps and tricks to ensnare enemies and produced two favourite characters of mine, Meera and Jojen. The Mandleys have Wyman Mandley as a lord and his cunning is as big as his girth. As for theĀ Mormonts:

Look at the roster we already have for them: Jeor "The Old Bear" Mormont, Jorah Mormont, the HBIC herself Maege Mormont and her she-bear daughters (who may or may not be Tormund's daughters!)

Ā 

They are hard as nails and I love them.

Iron Islands
A difficult one as I always tend to view the Ironborn as a collective more than individual noble houses serving the Greyjoys. I have to admire theĀ Farwynds, though. It's good to have dreams and a sense of adventure. Plus, skinchangers are always good fun!

Riverlands
As weird as it sounds, I have aĀ soft spot for the Freys. Their family is so big and large that you can't just hate all of them for the Red Wedding. Besides, their infighting is a source of endless entertainment. Otherwise, I quite like the coat of arms of House Whent (Bats are cool!) and, of course, the Blackwoods for giving the world BR.

Vale of Arryn
House Royce, hands down! They are pretty much the only house that matters in the Vale, to me. Traditional, almost mystical and knightly, they also seem to be onto LF. Plus, I have a soft spot for runes. It really adds to the ancient roots of this House.

Westerlands
I don't actually remember any of the Houses sworn to the Lannisters. I'm going to have to say House Westerling simply because I can't remember any of the others. I guess there are the Crackhalls but...Ā 

Crownlands
Technically speaking, House Baratheon of Dragonstone is in the Crownlands, right? Of course, one cannot really say they are loyal bannermen to the current King seeing as they are in open rebellion. Otherwise, theĀ House Velaryon is a great Valyrian-lite family and the Cracklaw Point houses sound like discount crannogmen and would be a lot of fun.

Reach
Ah, the region that gave us the legend that is Samwell "Killer" Tarly. I quite like the Redwynes andĀ FlorentsĀ (I love theirĀ coast of arms and the name of theirĀ "former" keep, Brightwater) butĀ it has to be the Hightowers! They are the protectors of the Citadel, the home of knowledge. I'd happily serve House Hightower.

Stormlands
I love the houses of the Stormlands because they are sound so bombastic and tough. Obviously, I'm a fan of Houses Tarth, Selmy and Dondarrion thanks to the characters who herald from those families.

Dorne
We know next to nothing about the houses here so Dayne win by default, really. That said, we only really know Edric Dayne, and the fact that we've heard his uncle Arthur mentioned quite a few times. Oh, and his aunt Ashara. But I wouldn't say this is a fair pick because the other Houses might be awesome and we just don't know it. However...

Spoiler

I would say that House Toland might end up being a favourite of mine based on The Winds of Winter preview chapters. Those ladies seem interesting, especially Teora.

Ā 

Ā 

18 hours ago, HelmHammerhand said:

North:Ā  House Manderly - they've got everything, money, a navy, knights, but still a Northern sense of loyalty, what's not to like?Ā  Plus I've always been partial to tridents.Ā Ā 

Riverlands:Ā  House Mallister - Seagard sounds nice and I love their sigil.Ā Ā 

Westerlands:Ā  Crakehalls sound like tough SOBs who would be useful when push comes to shove, plus I just don't know enough about the other houses (Tywin didn't let them develop any personality)

Vale:Ā  Only once choice here, by far and away, the Royces!Ā  All the courtliness and knightliness of the Vale with a respect for the Old Ways that seems so Northern.....

Stormlands:Ā  House Dondarrion if only because Blackhaven sounds pretty awesome and their sigil is so 80's that I can't take my eyes off of it.

Crownlands: Have to agree with King Merrett and go with the Cracklaw Houses -Ā they seem like a real 'Murican bunch, I feel like if I called my banners they would show up with F-150s and shotguns ready.Ā  House Velaryon is a close second because who else has a Valyrian steel axe?Ā Ā 

Iron Islands:Ā  House Harlaw unless the Farwynds of the Lonely Light really can skinchange.Ā Ā 

The Reach:Ā  House Hightower for many of the same reasons that I picked House Manderly, so much intrigue going on there between the tower and the Citadel, I wish we saw more of them and Oldtown.Ā Ā 

Dorne:Ā  House Yronwood - they must be scheming to try to overtake the Martells, Dayne seems cooler but less interesting (getting back to the OP)

Ā 

Its house Celtigar that has the axe not Velaryon.

• 2 weeks later...

The Riverlands: Blackwood. Same reason I posted in the 'Favourite Riverlands Bannerman' thread. Honourable mention: House Mallister

The Vale: House Royce; seems like there's so much history behind them that we don't know about, Robar II is an absolute badass and most of the members of the main branch we've met so far has been a badass and a generally cool guy (talking about Waymar, Robar and Yohn himself)

The Stormlands: House Dondarion; cool and interesting backstory, awesome castle name, awesome sigil and Beric is counted among my all time favourite characters. Honourably mention; House Caron (Rolland Storm) and House Selmy (Barristan the Bold).

The Reach: House Tarly I guess. Not very invested in the Reach really. Randyll's badass (The only man to win a major victory over the rebels during RR) and Sam's been a character I love since the start. Plus they sided with Rhaenyra during the Dance, so props to them for remembering their oaths. Honourable Mention: Rowan's the only other one that comes close.

The Crownlands: Velaryon are pretty much the only interesting ones and even that is based on their history more than their current status. Celtigar has their axe I suppose and Darklyn seemed cool while they were around.

Dorne: House Dayne without a doubt; Arthur Dayne was a monumental badass and one of the most knightly characters we've ever heard about (very few can contend with him on this level) and Edric seems like a pretty nice guy too. Plus there's the mystery around Ashara Dayne, her child (living/not living), which Stark she danced with at Harrenhal etc. Beyond that they have Dawn (coolest weapon ever), Starfall sounds like a cool name and The Sword of the Morning is just the best title ever.

The Uller's catch my interest as well for some reason.

The Iron Islands: House Harlaw; Rodrik is completely different from any Ironborn we've ever seen before and Harras is badass. They have Valyrian Steel and didn't steel it from someone else (that we know of). Honourable Mention: Blacktyde, for having the balls to stand up to Euron.

The Westerlands: House Marbrand; we haven't really gotten to know many other Westerland house's so I'm basing this off Addam Marbrand almost entirely. Ashenmark sounds cool and their sigil's pretty decent too. Clegane has pretty much no history because they're a generation or two old, and of the character we meet I only like one of them (Gregor's fun to have in the story but he's pretty despicable). Swyft is just a no. So Marbrand. Honourable Mention: House Westerling (not the Spicer's) because they were genuinely loyal to Robb and House Crakehall, for the Strongboar and Red Tusk (who I'm sure is a Crakehall). Reyne as well I suppose.

The North: Toughest one yet, because aside from Bolton (who I find very interesting despite my burning hatred for Ramsay and my moderate dislike for Roose) I like pretty much all of them. But I suppose I would have to put the Manderly's at the top. Wyman Manderly is awesome. Just fact. Everything we see about him in Dance just makes me like him more and more. His city is great, he managed to built a Northern fleet (they've not had one for a long time) and Wylis and Wendel are/were both great guys. Plus they are unfailingly loyal to the Starks which I appreciate.

Honourable Mentions for the North (long list ahead): Reed (Howland Reed. Meera Reed. Jojen Reed. No more needs to be said), Mormont (Jeor's badass, Jorah's badass, Maege is badass, Maege's daughters are badass), Umber (For GreatJon, Mors, Hother and SmallJon), Dustin (For William Dustin and Roddy the Ruin), Cassel (Martyn, Jory and Rodrik all went above and beyond for their Lords), Wull (Mountain Clan, Theo 'Buckets'), Glover (Galbart and Robbett both plotting Stark restoration, possible separate plan), Cerwyn (Cley seemed a good dude) and Tallhart (Helman's alright and I like Benfred). In that order. I like all the others too, but these ones stand out to me.

On 24/10/2017 at 7:56 PM, Faera said:

Riverlands

Ā 

As weird as it sounds, I have aĀ soft spot for the Freys. Their family is so big and large that you can't just hate all of them for the Red Wedding. Besides, their infighting is a source of endless entertainment. Otherwise, I quite like the coat of arms of House Whent (Bats are cool!) and, of course, the Blackwoods for giving the world BR.

Ā 

I do not hate all Frey's; I like Perwyn, Olyvar, Roslin and Stevron. Walder is still entertaining in the first book despite what I see later. I respect Black Walder for his skill and Lothar for his cunning (doesn't mean I like them but like with Tywin and Roose I can separate my opinion on their moral character from my repsect for their abilities). Plus I quite like Forrest Frey from the Dance. Overall though, they don't have enough to redeem them in my eyes.

riverlands: house lannister of darry

vale: house royce of moon's gates

stormlands: house connington of storm's end

crownlands: house baratheon of dragonstone

north: house thennĀ 

dorne: house dayne of high hermitage

iron islands: house goodbrother of orkmont

westerlands: none

reach: house tyrell of brightwater keep

• North: north clans.they are the most unique north lords
  • Riverlands: house Darry.Always loyal.
  • Vale: house Waynwood.Lady Anya and her descendants seem very sympathetic.
  • Westerlands: house Marbrand. same with darry.
  • Iron islands: house Harlaw. they seem to be near the type of westeroshi lord.
  • Crownlands: house Velaryon. naval force with ties to house Targaryen
  • Reach: house Hightower. they seem to adapt in every occasion
  • Dorne: house Dayne. The only Dornish house I want to learn more.
  • Stormlands: house Tarth. I like Selwyin Tarth from Brienne's despriptions.

North: House Manderly, because of Wyman's cunning and, of course, due to their loyalty.

Riverlands: House Bracken, for the badass sigil and for Bittersteel.

Vale: House Royce, for Bronze Yohn.

Crownlands: House Massey, for being badass pirates and for Justin.

Stormlands: House Seaworth, because of their origins and undying loyalty to the One True King.

Reach: House Hightower, for backing Aegon II against Rhaenyra.

Westerlands: House Marbrand, for the cool sigil and for their relation to the Lannisters.

Iron Islands: House Harlaw, for being a bit skeptical about the whole "Old Way" thing.

Dorne: House Yronwood, maybe just because I have a thing for all those people who end up at the losing side of history and historiography.

I don't know why I expected anyone to chose anything other than Dayne for the Dornish. I get it, but I've always been drawn to the Blackmonts. Fist of all, their sigil is a vulture carrying a baby. I want to know that story. I also liked that Lady Larra Blackmont accompanied Oberyn to King's Landing and thus showing off the Dornish sensibilities when it comes to inheritance. And they seem to have a connection to the Vulture Kings who opposed the Iron Throne. They've always been one of my favorite houses overall, even though next to nothing is known about them.

I don't have super strong feelings about other minor houses, but the Manderly's do have a soft spot in my heart, especially young Wylla. Loyal and fierce - it's a good combination.

• 8 months later...

Archived