Daenerys's two Tridents

Sea Dragon

Hello everyone. I was wondering what people see as the connections between the two Trident's in Daenerys's life. She dreams of Rhaegar fighting at the Trident, and then it is her fighting the usurper there, but she is also in a relationship with Daario. Daario has that weird blue trident forked beard. What is the connection? 

I am open to ideas because on a reread this has made me wonder why. 

I found some book quotes

Ser Jorah had no answer. He only smiled, and touched her hair, so lightly. It was enough.
That night she dreamt that she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurper's rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent. Some small part of her knew that she was dreaming, but another part exulted. This is how it was meant to be. The other was a nightmare, and I have only now awakened.
She woke suddenly in the darkness of her cabin, still flush with triumph. Balerion seemed to wake with her, and she heard the faint creak of wood, water lapping against the hull, a football on the deck above her head. And something else.

The most crucial task of all she had entrusted to Daario Naharis, glib-tongued Daario with his gold tooth and trident beard, smiling his wicked smile through purple whiskers. Beyond the eastern hills was a range of rounded sandstone mountains, the Khyzai Pass, and Lhazar. If Daario could convince the Lhazarene to reopen the overland trade routes, grains could be brought down the river or over the hills at need … but the Lamb Men had no reason to love Meereen. "When the Stormcrows return from Lhazar, perhaps I can use them in the streets," she told Ser Barristan, "but until then I have only the Unsullied." Dany rose. "You must excuse me, ser. The petitioners will soon be at my gates. I must don my floppy ears and become their queen again. Summon Reznak and the Shavepate, I'll see them when I'm dressed."   

I always asumed it was a prophetic "dragon dream," foretelling her battling the Others on dragon back. Maybe I'm not looking deep enough but the whole "armored in ice" bit seemed pretty obvious to me. It's probably not the actual Trident, that's just what she associated it with in her mind. 

Also, I doubt there's anything to Dario's facial hair in relation to all of this.  

Patchface foreshadows

Spoiler

the ruse Stannis hints at

in Theon, Winds...

We will march out of the sea and out again.

False news of Stannis's defeat and death will spread, but Stannis, backed by House Manderly and Rickon Stark, will defeat House Bolton and the Freys. Eventually, Stannis will march south to face Daenerys and Aegon. 

Stannis's host of Nothmen and Rivermen will array for battle at the Trident. Their numbers will be swollen by Northern childless and homeless men, unwed men, old men, and younger sons coming for war, for adventure and plunder, and for a glorious death to spare their kin beyond the Neck one more mouth to feed (just like Creegan Stark's host in the Dance of the Dragons).

And the northmen will be joined by the river lords still loyal to House Tully...

"Under the sea, men marry fishes." Patchface did a little dance step, jingling his bells. "They do, they do, they do."

Jon XIII, Dance

But not the Brackens...

Memories of ancient wrongs and bygone betrayals were not oft put aside by the lords of the Trident, whose enmities ran as deep as the rivers that watered their lands. Time and again, one or more of these riverlords would join with some invader against their own king; indeed, in some cases it was there very lords who brought the outsiders into the riverlands, offering them lands or gold or daughters for their help against familiar foes.

The Riverlands, TWOIAF

Daenerys will meet them...

That night she dreamt she was Rhaegar, riding to the Trident. But she was mounted on a dragon, not a horse. When she saw the Usurpers rebel host across the river they were armored all in ice, but she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.

However, I think rather than burn this host she will take it for her own to fight Aegon. Recall how Stannis took Renly's power for his own...

"I beg you in the name of the Mother," Catelyn began when a sudden gust of wind flung open the door of the tent. She thought she glimpsed movement, but when she turned her head, it was only the king's shadow shifting against the silken walls. She heard Renly begin a jest, his shadow moving, lifting its sword, black on green, candles guttering, shivering, something was queer, wrong, and then she saw Renly's sword still in its scabbard, sheathed still, but the shadowsword . . .

"Cold," said Renly in a small puzzled voice, a heartbeat before the steel of his gorget parted like cheesecloth beneath the shadow of a blade that was not there. He had time to make a small thick gasp before the blood came gushing out of his throat.

Catelyn IV, Clash

We know that the North fought on the black side in the Dance of Dragons. And I seem to recall an SSM where the George said the North tended to be loyalist after Torrhen knelt (or perhaps it was a post by Ran). We know that Daenerys is going to slay the lie that is Stannis or his claim. Perhaps Drogo will remove Stannis and Daenerys will claim Stannis's forces the way Stannis claimed Renly's.

It were the black one, the man said, in a Ghiscari growl, the winged shadow. He come down from the sky and... and...

Daenerys I, Dance 2

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning . . . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?"

Davos V, Storm 54

So, the north will follow Stannis south, but Daenerys will have Drogon melt Stannis's face and take the northmen for her own to defeat Aegon. 

Or not. 

Huh... I wonder if Dany's dream is a prelude to Mel's vision:

14 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

she bathed them in dragonfire and they melted away like dew and turned the Trident into a torrent.

Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths

King's Landing is downstream of the Trident, sitting along the Blackwater Rush. Blackwater... dark tide...

45 minutes ago, Sigella said:

She thinks of it right before she sacks Astapor. "Time to cross the Trident" SoS, Dany III

Actually she thinks of it every book and its almost always in connection to Rhaegars death.

I think this part is the biggest clue ;)

Rivers are obviously important symbols and settings, and they are often associated with colors - White Knife, Blackwater Rush, Greenblood, and the red, green and blue forks of the Trident. Torrhen Stark knelt at the Trident before Aegon the Conqueror, Robert and Rhaegar had their battle there, Catelyn's body went into and Lady Stoneheart came out of the Trident - all show this river is important to Westeros in general, not just Dany.

If I were to guess at the symbolism, I might propose that the river's flow represents either the course of history or the flow of power. Inns seem to represent monarchies, with the Inn of the Kneeling Man erected at the spot where Torrhen knelt, giving Aegon the key victory he needed to consolidate his power over Westeros. The inn at the crossroads used to be called the Two Crowns, after Jaehaerys I and Alysanne. It is interesting to note that a wing of the inn was built over the river, but the river shifted and that wing is now just on pilings over dry land. My guess is that the course of the river will shift back toward that inn when Dany or some other Targaryen comes back into power. The Quiet Isle is the place where artifacts from all these major events wash up again. It's sort of a library or museum of Westeros, and the elder brother is the reference librarian.

I know that people have speculated that Daario is a hidden Targaryen. The blue trident beard might be a clue, if Dany's longing for dragon combat on the banks of the Trident can be compared to her lust for Daario. We see Old Griff and Young Griff with hair dyed blue, so we know that blue hair could be a hint about a disguise. That might not work, though, as everyone in Tyrosh would then have to be a hidden Targ. I do think beards are hints about disguises or secret identities, though. Tyrion has Bronn cut Pycelle's beard after Pycelle betrays Tyrion's plans about Myrcella. I suspect there is more we need to know about Pycelle's background that will explain his loyalty to Tywin and some of his actions and motives.

Then there is the whole set of symbols around three, such as the dragon having three heads. Is the river also a dragon? Could be. When Daario decides to support Dany, he brings her two severed heads from the leaders of the other sellsword companies. With his own head, that makes three. Or maybe the three heads are Daario's head and the heads on the pommels of his weapons. He regularly strokes those pommels with his thumbs, and Dany is jealous. This could represent Aegon the Conqueror and his two sister wives.

Keep in mind, though, that Meera Reed uses a trident and net for protection and hunting. The sailors on the Titan's Daughter give Arya a silver fork (as well as a floppy hat) that she later throws into a canal in Braavos. I'm not sure if this was the author's way of creating a "fork in the river" symbol but I do know (from the Dunk & Egg stories) that floppy hats have been used as disguises by Aegons who want to mix with the low born. I don't think Arya is a hidden Targ (maybe a hidden Dayne ;) ) but it's interesting that she briefly has her hands on these symbolic items.

This is a good topic. Daario is a mysterious guy and I'd like to know more about him.

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I think this part is the biggest clue ;)

But isnt it a little bit on the nose to be all about Rhaegar? Like why would she reminisce her romanticised ideal brother just before sacking a city?

I’m tempted to say that the forked beard and the rivers aren’t related, but it’s odd how the rivers are linked to colors and forked beards are linked to colors (and Tyrosh in general) as @Seams observed. There's also a virility/fertility connection.

Depending on how a beard is cut, it can look like the extension of a tongue. So a forked beard can become a forked tongue and I don’t think that’s ever good. Just like a mask hides the identity of a superhero, a beard can be used to hide something as well. Maybe words or intent or agendas. A forked beard sounds like speaking with a forked tongue.

Daario isn’t in good company with his forked beard. There’s Illyrio, Arnolf Karstark, the skivy Tyroshi man who sailed Catelyn to KL (Catelyn wondered how LF knew she was there), the Tyroshi who offered a fake head to Cersei and called him her valonqar, and swordsmen of the Bloody Mummers.

It’s probably important that the forked beards are often dyed.

A beard, not necessarily forked, is also a sign of virility as we see below with Pycelle. Rivers are also linked to an aspect of virility in that it fertilizes land. The Nile would be an especially clear example of this. Speaking of virility symbols, Gene Simmon’s tongue extended looks like a (weird) beard and it also becomes a blatant phallic symbol. A man’s necktie points exactly where? So when a man wears a long necktie (who do we know who wears a long necktie and is touchy about his hand size? :D) or a very long beard, they can also become a symbol for a very long phallus just like Gene Simmon’s tongue. Won’t quite see ZZ Top the same way now, will ya?

The Phrase “Speaks with a forked tongue” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forked_tongue

The phrase "speaks with a forked tongue" means to deliberately say one thing and mean another or, to be hypocritical, or act in a duplicitous manner. In the longstanding tradition of many Native American tribes, "speaking with a forked tongue" has meant lying, and a person was no longer considered worthy of trust, once he had been shown to "speak with a forked tongue". This phrase was also adopted by Americans around the time of the Revolution, and may be found in abundant references from the early 19th century — often reporting on American officers who sought to convince the tribal leaders with whom they negotiated that they "spoke with a straight and not with a forked tongue" (as for example, President Andrew Jackson told the Creek Nation in 1829[16]). According to one 1859 account, the native proverb that the "white man spoke with a forked tongue" originated as a result of the French tactic of the 1690s, in their war with the Iroquois, of inviting their enemies to attend a Peace Conference, only to be slaughtered or captured.[17]

Notice that Jaime had one phallic symbol severed (his sword) and Pycelle has a different phallic symbol severed.

AFFC Jaime I

Without his beard, Pycelle looked not only old, but feeble. Shaving him was the cruelest thing Tyrion could have done, thought Jaime, who knew what it was to lose a part of yourself, the part that made you who you were. Pycelle's beard had been magnificent, white as snow and soft as lambswool, a luxuriant growth that covered cheeks and chin and flowed down almost to his belt. The Grand Maester had been wont to stroke it when he pontificated. It had given him an air of wisdom, and concealed all manner of unsavory things: the loose skin dangling beneath the old man's jaw, the small querulous mouth and missing teeth, warts and wrinkles and age spots too numerous to count. Though Pycelle was trying to regrow what he had lost, he was failing. Only wisps and tufts sprouted from his wrinkled cheeks and weak chin, so thin that Jaime could see the splotchy pink skin beneath.

5 hours ago, Seams said:

I know that people have speculated that Daario is a hidden Targaryen. The blue trident beard might be a clue, if Dany's longing for dragon combat on the banks of the Trident can be compared to her lust for Daario. We see Old Griff and Young Griff with hair dyed blue, so we know that blue hair could be a hint about a disguise. That might not work, though, as everyone in Tyrosh would then have to be a hidden Targ. I do think beards are hints about disguises or secret identities, though. Tyrion has Bronn cut Pycelle's beard after Pycelle betrays Tyrion's plans about Myrcella. I suspect there is more we need to know about Pycelle's background that will explain his loyalty to Tywin and some of his actions and motives.

The above passage continues here referencing your questions on Pycelle. It’s not explicitly stated here, but Pycelle may be immune to greyscale though it’s interesting that Jaime notes the skin on Pycelle’s face here at the same time and it's splotchy and pink. If there’s stonemen under Casterly Rock, it would explain a lot about Pycelle’s value to the Lannisters. Seems to be a big hint that we have more to learn about Tywin (I might have to unhate yet another character). Pycelle links what Quenton Hightower did with the grey plague to this mysterious thing(s?) done by Tywin.

"Ser Jaime, I have seen terrible things in my time," the old man said. "Wars, battles, murders most foul . . . I was a boy in Oldtown when the grey plague took half the city and three-quarters of the Citadel. Lord Hightower burned every ship in port, closed the gates, and commanded his guards to slay all those who tried to flee, be they men, women, or babes in arms. They killed him when the plague had run its course. On the very day he reopened the port, they dragged him from his horse and slit his throat, and his young son's as well. To this day the ignorant in Oldtown will spit at the sound of his name, but Quenton Hightower did what was needed. Your father was that sort of man as well. A man who did what was needed."

I’m not sure if I’ve gone off-topic here or not. The stonemen/greyscale are linked to rivers and there’s a special history with Valyria and greyscale, so…

If greyscale is linked to Ice/water and it seems like it is at this point, then Dany (a Valyrian) armored in ice is very curious.

21 hours ago, Seams said:

Rivers are obviously important symbols and settings, and they are often associated with colors - White Knife, Blackwater Rush, Greenblood, and the red, green and blue forks of the Trident. Torrhen Stark knelt at the Trident before Aegon the Conqueror, Robert and Rhaegar had their battle there, Catelyn's body went into and Lady Stoneheart came out of the Trident - all show this river is important to Westeros in general, not just Dany.

If I were to guess at the symbolism, I might propose that the river's flow represents either the course of history or the flow of power. Inns seem to represent monarchies, with the Inn of the Kneeling Man erected at the spot where Torrhen knelt, giving Aegon the key victory he needed to consolidate his power over Westeros. The inn at the crossroads used to be called the Two Crowns, after Jaehaerys I and Alysanne. It is interesting to note that a wing of the inn was built over the river, but the river shifted and that wing is now just on pilings over dry land. My guess is that the course of the river will shift back toward that inn when Dany or some other Targaryen comes back into power. The Quiet Isle is the place where artifacts from all these major events wash up again. It's sort of a library or museum of Westeros, and the elder brother is the reference librarian.

I think that too - rivers are the flow of history, or maybe destiny. A trident is a weapon with three 'heads' - so I tried linking the geography of the Trident rivers onto the lives of my favourite candidates for the three heads of the dragon (Dany, Tyrion, Jon) - it works surprisingly well, without actually telling you much.

So Dany has the Red Fork - her path is slow with many snags and detours. (Interesting quote: the swift wild Tumblestone plunged like a spear into the side of the broad Red Fork... Don't think that's happened yet.)

Tyrion has the Green Fork - green standing for envy and ambition. The Twins are a major feature in the early parts of the Green Fork. If I remember rightly, the noise of the river is likened to the roaring of lions.

Jon has the Blue Fork - can't remember much about this one, except early on it passes through the Hag's Mire, and it's easy enough to see Cat/UnCat as the Hag.

For the future, it appears they meet up at a crossroads in their separate destinies, and then as one travel into the white lands (represented by Saltpans).  Looks like Dany arrives last - Jon will meet Tyrion before she does. Incredible.

I haven't much looked at other rivers, but I've a suspicion the Blackwater might be for Aegon, and maybe Tyrion gets a second bite of the cherry with the Rhoyne.

A trident beard has got be a marker for the three-headed dragon, which is obviously Dany here.

I've only just noticed that Daario Naharis is pretty close to a play on Daenerys.

So - can she be looking at a model for herself, what she could become if she abandoned her efforts to be a good ruler?  She loves Daario's careless, cavalier attitude, and maybe is tempted by his advice to take the easy way out and become a butcher queen. She thinks he has a sellsword's conscience, which is none at all - and she comes perilously close to that herself with  "If I look back I am lost".

In that case the golden women on the hilts of his swords definitely require explanation. They could be future supporters of Dany - a Drothraki woman and a Myrish woman. Seems unlikely at this stage though. Alternatively, they could be the two faces of Bad!Dany, a butcher queen who rules with the arakh of warfare and the stilletto of court intrigue. I'm not totally satisfied with that explanation, because Dany is very much a silver queen and not a golden woman - but possibly the golden path is one she must reject to fulfill her destiny.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, Lollygag said:

AFFC Jaime I

Without his beard, Pycelle looked not only old, but feeble. Shaving him was the cruelest thing Tyrion could have done, thought Jaime, who knew what it was to lose a part of yourself, the part that made you who you were. Pycelle's beard had been magnificent, white as snow and soft as lambswool, a luxuriant growth that covered cheeks and chin and flowed down almost to his belt. The Grand Maester had been wont to stroke it when he pontificated. It had given him an air of wisdom, and concealed all manner of unsavory things: the loose skin dangling beneath the old man's jaw, the small querulous mouth and missing teeth, warts and wrinkles and age spots too numerous to count. Though Pycelle was trying to regrow what he had lost, he was failing. Only wisps and tufts sprouted from his wrinkled cheeks and weak chin, so thin that Jaime could see the splotchy pink skin beneath.

The fact that Pycelle's beard "flowed" seems particularly significant to the beard / river comparison. (The only wordplay I have guessed at for belts is the German word "lebt," a verb form for "live." Belts are used for messages and weapons. So the beard's relationship with the belt might imply that it was a weapon or a message. Or both.)

Pycelle's beard concealed things but it was also white. The White Knife river is not part of the Trident watershed, as I recall. I wonder whether this white beard is linked to Barristan-in-disguise, known as Arstan Whitebeard? Maybe mentor figures get their own river, separate from the main dynasties.

If people can stand one more pun possibility, "beard" could be related to "bread." Bread is made from flour, and rivers flow. We see Jon (in a flashback) and Osha (when Theon flows over the walls at Winterfell) covered in flower. And Ramsay is the son of the miller's wife. And it goes on and on - "Payne" (Podrick and Ser Ilyn) may be bread-related because of the French "pain" for bread . . . My guess is that bread and flour / flower / flow relate to Dawn because bread "rises" like the sun at dawn. But there may be more to it than that. The quote you cite has Pycelle's beard flowing "down" - maybe beards flow down but bread rises? Death and resurrection?

9 hours ago, Springwatch said:

I think that too - rivers are the flow of history, or maybe destiny. A trident is a weapon with three 'heads' - so I tried linking the geography of the Trident rivers onto the lives of my favourite candidates for the three heads of the dragon (Dany, Tyrion, Jon) - it works surprisingly well, without actually telling you much.

So Dany has the Red Fork - her path is slow with many snags and detours. (Interesting quote: the swift wild Tumblestone plunged like a spear into the side of the broad Red Fork... Don't think that's happened yet.)

Tyrion has the Green Fork - green standing for envy and ambition. The Twins are a major feature in the early parts of the Green Fork. If I remember rightly, the noise of the river is likened to the roaring of lions.

Jon has the Blue Fork - can't remember much about this one, except early on it passes through the Hag's Mire, and it's easy enough to see Cat/UnCat as the Hag.

For the future, it appears they meet up at a crossroads in their separate destinies, and then as one travel into the white lands (represented by Saltpans).  Looks like Dany arrives last - Jon will meet Tyrion before she does. Incredible.

I haven't much looked at other rivers, but I've a suspicion the Blackwater might be for Aegon, and maybe Tyrion gets a second bite of the cherry with the Rhoyne.

This is terrific! Thank you for sharing it.

What do you make of Jon's view over the Milkwater?

Septon Chayle is a strong swimmer because he grew up on the White Knife. I wonder what it means that he seems to go from Winterfell to the Wall, even though Theon thought he died in the well at Winterfell?

And what would about some of the details of the Quiet Isle? Is Targaryen History being accumulated as it floats down the rivers to the Quiet Isle?

Brienne stays at the Quiet Isle, and she is associated with blue - blue bardings on her horse when the reader meets her, beautiful blue eyes (blue ice?), The Sapphire Isle. Her cloak from Renly is a rainbow cloak, and it turns red when it is soaked with Renly's blood.

Of course, Podrick Payne is Tyrion's squire, and he also stays at the Quiet Isle. Maybe he represents team Green. Ser Hyle Hunt is a bannerman for House Tarly and his sigil is brown and white. I'm not sure whether he fits into the three forks of the Trident. If Brienne represents both blue and red, maybe the three forks are covered between Brienne and Pod.. I wonder what it means, though, that Riverlands Zombie Lady Stoneheart "cuts off" the air flow of these three? None of the three has a beard, fwiw.

14 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Would you mind elaborating on this? I'm sort of in the middle of looking into the connection that exists between Rhaegar, Dany and Jon and I'm curious what you mean with this reply.

I would be happy to, but my time on the forum is a bit limited over the next day or so. Allow me a bit of time and I will respond later.

Just a quick note, history repeats, but with a twist.

14 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Nice. I like this imagery.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

"You saw what you wished to see. Your heart yearns for your father and your home, so that is what you saw."
"A man must know how to look before he can hope to see," said Lord Brynden. "Those were shadows of days past that you saw, Bran. You were looking through the eyes of the heart tree in your godswood. Time is different for a tree than for a man. Sun and soil and water, these are the things a weirwood understands, not days and years and centuries. For men, time is a river. We are trapped in its flow, hurtling from past to present, always in the same direction. The lives of trees are different. They root and grow and die in one place, and that river does not move them. The oak is the acorn, the acorn is the oak. And the weirwood … a thousand human years are a moment to a weirwood, and through such gates you and I may gaze into the past."
"But," said Bran, "he heard me."

19 hours ago, Springwatch said:

I forgot the best bit - the Blue Fork originates around Oldstones i.e. with a stone king. To emphasise the link with Rhaegar, Tom the singer sits on the tomb playing his harp.

9 hours ago, Seams said:

What do you make of Jon's view over the Milkwater?

Septon Chayle is a strong swimmer because he grew up on the White Knife. I wonder what it means that he seems to go from Winterfell to the Wall, even though Theon thought he died in the well at Winterfell?

I don't know :) - I started out thinking that the Riverlands were the place where history was made, and the rest didn't matter, but names like the White Knife, and the Milkwater are very suggestive.

9 hours ago, Seams said:

And what would about some of the details of the Quiet Isle? Is Targaryen History being accumulated as it floats down the rivers to the Quiet Isle?

The Quiet Isle... I once thought that Rhaegar's rubies signalled all our heroes passing through the Quiet Isle. More likely it will be some refuge or stronghold in winter - it should be Winterfell! But Winterfell has been damaged, so maybe Bran's cave, or Moat Cailin.

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

"You saw what you wished to see. Your heart yearns for your father and your home, so that is what you saw."
"A man must know how to look before he can hope to see," said Lord Brynden. "Those were shadows of days past that you saw, Bran. You were looking through the eyes of the heart tree in your godswood. Time is different for a tree than for a man. Sun and soil and water, these are the things a weirwood understands, not days and years and centuries. For men, time is a river. We are trapped in its flow, hurtling from past to present, always in the same direction. The lives of trees are different. They root and grow and die in one place, and that river does not move them. The oak is the acorn, the acorn is the oak. And the weirwood … a thousand human years are a moment to a weirwood, and through such gates you and I may gaze into the past."
"But," said Bran, "he heard me."

That quote makes me very happy, thank you.

Archived