Valonqar Revealed

Tyrion the Targaryen

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The fact that George was very careful not to have Jaime end up on Arya's list leads me to believe that Jaime will outlive Cersei. The show could still use this theory to kill Cersei, but in the books, a person needs to be dead for someone to use their face. 

Arya does not know about how Jaime is involved at all. Jaime is not going to die at Arya's hands, it will be likely in battle against Jon/Daenerys or at the hands of of them or even possibly Tyrion.

2 hours ago, Tyrion the Targaryen said:

Arya does not know about how Jaime is involved at all. Jaime is not going to die at Arya's hands, it will be likely in battle against Jon/Daenerys or at the hands of of them or even possibly Tyrion.

If I remember correctly, she knows Jaime killed Jory. 

6 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

If I remember correctly, she knows Jaime killed Jory. 

I think Arya's list has people that have affected/hurt her personally. Theon isn't on her list. I know she probably doesn't know what happened at WF, but I don't think she will go after Theon even if she finds out.

11 hours ago, Tyrion the Targaryen said:

Examples?

I just think there's not enough there to come to these conclusions.

The connection between Jaime's dream and the game of faces seems somewhat flimsy and as you pointed out, already connects to the Rains of Castamere. Tywin not wanting his children to be laughed at and Needle reminding Arya of the laughter of Winterfell's people seems to have no connection.

Tyrion's threats he made in book 3 just seems more like character development rather than foreshadowing, especially when you consider his feeling toward Jaime eventually become more conflicted later in book 5, and while the idea of Tyrion being the reverse-Tywin by destroying House Lannister sounds cool, I just don't see the setup for it.

I also agree with what Ferocious Veldt said that it's inconsistent with other examples of foreshadowing in the series (such as Roose Bolton hunting wolves in book 2 for example) and way too subtle. Even if it did turn out to happen exactly like you predict, I never would have seen these examples as setting it up.

I also think it's worth noting that we know very little about the Faceless Men and whether Jaime's face can be "worn". There's a theory I find very convincing that only skinchangers can become Faceless Men and only other skinchangers' faces can be used by them. I would also say that it would be very unsatisfying to have two of the most major characters' stories ended by a cookie-cutter revenge plot by Arya and Tyrion, especially Jaime who's had basically no interaction with Arya.

• 2 weeks later...

The connection between Jaime's dream and the game of faces seems somewhat flimsy and as you pointed out, already connects to the Rains of Castamere. Tywin not wanting his children to be laughed at and Needle reminding Arya of the laughter of Winterfell's people seems to have no connection.

I have extended the "Who are you?" analysis to outside AFfC, which I believe it can, but does make the argument a bit more "flimsy" for others who read it by watering it down.  Out of all the times "Who are you?" comes up in AFfC "asearchoficeandfire" I think I counted 17 out of 29 times it was Arya/Cat of Canals, Samwell talking to Cat of the Canals, the Prologue with Pate being killed by the Faceless man, and Jaime's dream. Which is the first time we are introduced to a faceless man that is not Jaqen Hagar.  I do not think it is a coincidence that the first time we hear the lyrics from the Rains of Castamere is in Arya's chapter, then the Red Wedding, then Arya's chapter after the Red Wedding. We do not hear of any of the lyrics when Tyrion talks about it first in ASoS, we do not hear it when Jaime threatens to play it in ASoS as well.  We hear it through Arya, Cat's, and then Arya's point of view.

Tyrion's threats he made in book 3 just seems more like character development rather than foreshadowing, especially when you consider his feeling toward Jaime eventually become more conflicted later in book 5, and while the idea of Tyrion being the reverse-Tywin by destroying House Lannister sounds cool, I just don't see the setup for it

Not necessarily foreshadowing, but I do think it is strong that his direction points to him killing Jaime and Cersei. It is where his character arch is pointing: him finishing off Jaime and then Cersei after killing his father.  Tywin took Tysha away from Tyrion, humuliated him through Tysha, denied Tyrion the Rights to Casterly Rock, and then sleeps with his faux-lover Shae after being sentenced to die only to find out that Tysha was not really a whore and probably really loved her and Jaime, one of the few people he trusts more than anything, was part of the plot of humiliating him and taking him away from his lover.  Cersei, for her entire life, has plotted her brother's downfall and death because their mother died giving birth to him and she is paranoid that he will kill her, which he ultimately will.  Tyrion killing Jaime and then Cersei reflects the direction his story arch is pointing in A Dance with Dragons, where he consistently thinks of a few things: the death of Cersei, Jaime, and his father, Tysha, and Shae.

I also think it's worth noting that we know very little about the Faceless Men and whether Jaime's face can be "worn". There's a theory I find very convincing that only skinchangers can become Faceless Men and only other skinchangers' faces can be used by them. I would also say that it would be very unsatisfying to have two of the most major characters' stories ended by a cookie-cutter revenge plot by Arya and Tyrion, especially Jaime who's had basically no interaction with Arya.

First of all, it is not a revenge plot.  It is necessary because Cersei will either try to cause war with Jon and Daenerys (because of their threat to her claim of the throne) while the Great Other presses south, or she will try to take everyone down with her in King's Landing and they will need to sneak in in a manner that will not cause her to blow it up.  There is a reason why it is called "the Gift of Mercy". Secondly, Pate's face was used and there was no mention or hint of him being a skinchanger.

also agree with what Ferocious Veldt said that it's inconsistent with other examples of foreshadowing in the series (such as Roose Bolton hunting wolves in book 2 for example) and way too subtle. Even if it did turn out to happen exactly like you predict, I never would have seen these examples as setting it up.

Specially what foreshadowing?  Arya is the only one in the series, throughout every book, who has been referred to as a rat besides the few times Cersei calls Tyrion a rat.  She is referred to as a rat/mouse on numerous occasions.  One of which she was even described as a "monstrous rat", which Cersei uses specifically to describe Tyrion sneaking through the Walls of the Red Keep .  Speaking of the Red Keep, the Red Keep is also talked about rats in the walls on numerous occasions,  Like Tyrion I ASoS:

• In the Red Keep a man did best to hold his tongue. There were rats in the walls, and little birds who talked too much, and spiders.

Little birds who talked too much and spiders are an obvious reference to Varys and his little birds.  The rats... well.

Then Cersei dreams of Tyrion laughing at her while she was naked in the throne room filled with mice, and she wakes up paranoid that Tyrion is going to pop out under her bed and laugh at her only to find out that her father was killed, and there are tunnels throughout the Red Keep, and that is when we hear her call Tyrion a "monstrous rat".  Which is a term only used with : Arya, Tyrion, and the Rat Cook (which turns out to be Arya in the show)

Archived