MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

It seems like every season 3 million people go to The Ball Park The Mouse Built to pray in total silence.

Look, my experience is limited, but the one time I went to an Angels game, to see them play the Red Sox, the crowd was 1/3 Boston fans. Shit, my section even got a respectable "Yankees suck" chant going.

If you think the Angels market is as stressful and high pressure as New York or Boston, I'll just have to disagree.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Look, my experience is limited, but the one time I went to an Angels game, to see them play the Red Sox, the crowd was 1/3 Boston fans. Shit, my section even got a respectable "Yankees suck" chant going.

Dorks.

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

If you think the Angels market is as stressful and high pressure as New York or Boston, I'll just have to disagree.

I was implying the exact opposite.  They care enough to show up in great numbers.  And that's it.

10 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Dorks.

Look, there was a guy with a Yankees shirt walking through! You gonna tell a dog not to chase a tennis ball?

But a bewildered Angels fan sitting in front of me turned around and asked incredulously, " Do you guys just start that chant at random times?"

ETA: That's not even the saddest "Yankees Suck" chant I've been a part of.

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

I was implying the exact opposite.  They care enough to show up in great numbers.  And that's it.

So like I said... Best of all worlds for Ohtani then. The porridge is neither too hot nor too cold.

Take it from someone who lives roughly equidistant from Angel Stadium and Dodger Stadium,  the Angels are almost a non-entity around here, and they have very few true fans. The Angels draw good numbers not because going to see an Angel’s game is a sporting event, but rather  because it’s a social event. If Ohtani wanted to play in a market big enough to score him some lucrative endorsements and keep his name in the national spotlight, while not having to deal with a lot of pressure from the fan base and local press, he couldn’t have chosen a better place. And this isn’t sour grapes; I never thought he was coming to the Dodgers, and frankly thought it would be a bad idea for the Dodgers to embark on the Ohtani experiment right now. Him going to the Angels is actually pretty cool for me; I don’t have to worry about how he might change a team dynamic that’s working pretty fucking good right now, but I can still go see him play any time I want.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think he just didn't want to be in one of those intense markets with a fanatic fan base and overactive media like New York or Boston. Anaheim seems the best of all worlds for him, since  no one gets all that pumped about the Angels.

I can't blame him for that.  The sports media here is merciless. 

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It was in a sports bar in Los Angeles... in a room packed with Red Sox fans and a handful of Cards fans...thirty seconds after the final out of the 2004 World Series.

Haha! That's kind of touching actually. To know that the Yankees were still on your minds in any possible way at such a moment. But yeah, that takes the cake.

A few websites are reporting that the Yankees and Marlins reached a deal for Stanton. No details yet but this is pretty shocking to me. I know there were talks going on but I didn't really expect this to actually happen. $295 million owed to an injury-prone monster. The kid in me is excited as hell, but that fucking contract is so obnoxious.

I guess no Machado or Harper for next year? 

24 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

A few websites are reporting that the Yankees and Marlins reached a deal for Stanton. No details yet but this is pretty shocking to me. I know there were talks going on but I didn't really expect this to actually happen. $295 million owed to an injury-prone monster. The kid in me is excited as hell, but that fucking contract is so obnoxious.

One of those injuries was getting hit in the face with a pitch.   As long as they don't give him a blank check when he opts out I'm cool. 

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yea, can't see them going after either with this Stanton contract on the books now. The Yankees line up now is disgusting.

Gardner, Hicks, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Bird, Torres, Gregorius, Headley. Or some variation. 

29 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yea, can't see them going after either with this Stanton contract on the books now. The Yankees line up now is disgusting.

Gardner, Hicks, Judge, Stanton, Sanchez, Bird, Torres, Gregorius, Headley. Or some variation. 

What he's going to do wonders for Judge and Bird especially.  

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Yankees pitching isn’t half bad either with Tanaka, Severino, Gray, Montgomery, Adams? Plus the bullpen. Could use one more ace like pitcher between Severino and Tanaka in the rotation.

They'll have enough to resign CC and stay under the tax - Stanton will only cost about $22 against the tax per Rosenthal (thanks to the cheap first 3 years of the contract and the money the Marlins will send if he doesn't opt out).

So, in two years, Cash has turned Jorge Guzman, Jose Devers, Rookie Davis, Eric Jagielo, Tony Renda, Caleb Cotham, and Brendan Ryan into Giancarlo Stanton and Gleyber Torres (and Billy McKinney).  Not too bad.

28 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

They'll have enough to resign CC and stay under the tax - Stanton will only cost about $22 against the tax per Rosenthal (thanks to the cheap first 3 years of the contract and the money the Marlins will send if he doesn't opt out).

So, in two years, Cash has turned Jorge Guzman, Jose Devers, Rookie Davis, Eric Jagielo, Tony Renda, Caleb Cotham, and Brendan Ryan into Giancarlo Stanton and Gleyber Torres (and Billy McKinney).  Not too bad.

Nothing against CC but I'd rather Chase Adams than re-signing CC. I think they need better than CC.

Archived