MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

9 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Longoria to Giants for Span and prospects.  He's been a bust of late.  Change of pace, even to a hitter unfriendly park, may help.

No word yet on how the $86M is divided.  Assuming TB is paying part.  I like the deal for SF, depending on how much they pay (they have deep-ish pockets and can afford it for sure).

Honestly, a bit sad for the Rays -- trading the long-time face of the franchise who has continually taken team-friendly deals. Good move for the Giants.

Manfred got caught in a monster lie yesterday. He needs to be fired NOW! He signed off on the fire sale in Miami. He knew Jeter’s plans were to screw over the team to make a profit for himself and his investors. There is no intent to run a functioning franchise.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Manfred got caught in a monster lie yesterday. He needs to be fired NOW! He signed off on the fire sale in Miami. He knew Jeter’s plans were to screw over the team to make a profit for himself and his investors. There is no intent to run a functioning franchise.

There's a blueprint for that, and it's right here in Pittsburgh...

Boy, There was something of a fire storm on twitter today after Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times posted his ballot which included a vote for Schilling. Of course, a bunch of idiots decided this is a battle that needs to be had, and started throwing something of a fit over it. Divish even said in his article about his vote that he thinks Schilling is a vile person, yet still the outrage came. I can guarantee that 90% of the folks in the Hall of Fame would totally be down with most of of shit Schilling says, this is just an era where it is less acceptable to be a piece of shit.

Also, things are looking good for Edgar this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh ... :uhoh:

https://deadspin.com/marlins-plan-now-that-weve-traded-away-beloved-players-1821724544

The essence of CEO Derek Jeter’s strategy is something like this:

1. Make big payroll cuts by trading away the team’s most popular players
  2. increase gate revenue by selling more tickets
  3. ???
  4. profit

4 hours ago, Week said:

Been writing about this here for a few weeks. The Marlins fan base got screwed hardcore.

Jeter also has a bonus structure that incentives him to keep cutting payroll. How in the hell is that supposed to work?

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

Looks like Gerrit Cole to the Astros.  Glad it's not the Yanks.  Dude's been trending downward the past two years and I didn't wanna give up Frazier for him.

Rotoworld attributed his 2017 troubles to a problem with fly balls.  Minute Maid Park does NOT seem to be a good destination if that is so.

Yeah fly balls and consequent HRs.  His HR/9 went from 0.54 in 2016 to 1.37 in 2017; and his HR/FB went from 6.8% to 15.9%.  I've seen people like Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs basically write that off as statistical noise, but that doesn't sound good to me.  Especially when, like you said, he's going to a more home run friendly park.

3 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah fly balls and consequent HRs.  His HR/9 went from 0.54 in 2016 to 1.37 in 2017; and his HR/FB went from 6.8% to 15.9%.  I've seen people like Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs basically write that off as statistical noise, but that doesn't sound good to me.  Especially when, like you said, he's going to a more home run friendly park.

Maybe somebody in Houston figured this out.  The current report is "no deal".

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Maybe somebody in Houston figured this out.  The current report is "no deal".

Heh, yep.  It was originally reported as a done deal by Rosenthal and MLB.com's Jon Morosi - which I consider very good sources - only for others to put the kibosh on it an hour or so later.  :dunno:

Most recent report I saw is another team (and not the Yankees) are still in the running as well.

23 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Being a Yanks fan, I would've been OK with giving up Frazier. I mean, it's nice to have some OF depth for unforeseen injuries and what not, but we still have Ellsbury on the books.

Plus Cole is only 27 and Yanks would've had control for 2 yrs. The dude can hit 95-96 on the gun, but the heater doesn't move. Still would've liked to see how he would slot in the rotation, which I think is our biggest concern.

6 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Being a Yanks fan, I would've been OK with giving up Frazier. I mean, it's nice to have some OF depth for unforeseen injuries and what not, but we still have Ellsbury on the books.

Plus Cole is only 27 and Yanks would've had control for 2 yrs. The dude can hit 95-96 on the gun, but the heater doesn't move. Still would've liked to see how he would slot in the rotation, which I think is our biggest concern.

Oh, I think Frazier headlining a package would have been more than fair.  I just think they can either do better or I'm fine keeping him around since Hicks is hardly a sure thing, Gardner could be a free agent next year (when he'll be 35), and I expect they'll extricate themselves from Ellsbury by this time next year - even if it means buying him out next offseason.  Plus, I'm pretty bearish on Cole.

Jerry Crasnick is reporting the Yanks kept Torres, Sheffield, Florial, and Andujar off limits.  They were willing to trade Frazier or Adams, but not both.  If that's really the case, then yeah the Pirates took the best offer.

I don't really know what I want them to do for starting pitching help right now, but I know I did not want Cole for those 2 prospects (Frazier/adams) or for them to sign Darvish to a 7 year/$160 million contract. They seem hell bent on signing somebody though. I hope it's Arrieta but I heard he wants eleventy billion too. 

Are Musgrove and Moran highly rated? 

Musgrove had bad numbers last year but he's big, throws strikes, and just turned 25.  It's a decent bet with 5 years of control he outperforms Cole in WAR (in Cole's 2 years of control).  Moran is a bit of a polarizing prospect, and some of that has to do with fatigue.  He's actually a couple months older than Musgrove, and was drafted (6th overall) way back in 2013.  He had a great season at Triple A last year.  The two of them are somewhat comparable to, say, Jordan Montgomery and Miguel Andujar.  While both Yanks have higher stock right now (especially the latter compared to Moran), when you factor in the other two guys the Astros gave up, I don't think it's as bad a deal for the Pirates as I thought at first glance.

I don't want the Yanks to sign Darvish (and think that Michael Kay rumor was absolute bullshit).  I also really don't want them to sign Arrieta.  I guess one good thing from this trade is it makes a Frazier and Adams package seem pretty good, in comparison, for a controllable starter.  Throw in another one of the bevy of high-ceiling power arms they have, and I hope that could pry away a Fulmer or an Archer (don't expect the latter as the Rays aren't gonna wanna deal, but someone similar).

I don't really mind the Cole deal all that much. They got three guys with years of control (Huntington trumps this line so fucking much) who are apparently going to open the season on the major league roster. Not real sure how exciting that makes this upcoming season, but it's par for the course here. Factor in that everyone in the world knew Cole was never going to resign here, and I guess they got what they could for him.

Jeter has nothing on Bob Nutting.

Archived