MLB Offseason 2017/18 - Yu Broke My Heart, Ain't That A Shame

Bronn Stone

Gotta admit, that's less than I'd thought they'd sign him for.  Still, LOL! at a guy that's not going to provide any discernible WAR at DH.  Another classicly stupid Dombrowski move that will look like shit in less than two years - especially when combined with all the other bad contracts he has and/or has yet to make.  Cheers.  :cheers:

3 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Robinson was portrayed as a reluctant hero much like Peter Jackson’s Aragorn. Anyone know what he was like in real life? Any good books to recommend about his life and story?

Sounds like what you're looking for is more LotR.  He's pretty good in all of them.  I make light of this because there's at least a hundred Jackie Robinson books if you just search his name on Amazon.  Do I know which ones are best?  No.  But you're never gonna get an unbiased answer on that anyway.  It's like asking what's the best Thomas Jefferson book, irony included.

7 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Word on the street is J.D. Martinez is signing with Boston for 5 years and only 110m with an opt out after two. 

Two opt outs, after 2nd and 3rd years.

3 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

I’m watching 42 for the second time and to me it seems like Robinson was portrayed as a reluctant hero much like Peter Jackson’s Aragorn. Anyone know what he was like in real life? Any good books to recommend about his life and story?

I’m not sure you could call him reluctant, in the sense that he knew exactly what he was facing and exactly what it all meant when he signed with the Dodgers. That he wasn’t particularly vocal about the societal impact he was having was by design. Jackie wasn’t the clear best black ball player in the world, but Branch Rickey signed him over others because he knew Robinson could handle the incredible abuse that would come his way with dignity and grace, and let his play do the talking for him.

Anyway, about Corey Dickerson, Longoria is right - dude was an all-star.  You don't DFA that.  What a two-bit organization.  I hope the Yanks offer them a buncha good prospects and kick in some cash and luxury box tickets for Archer, because what else can the Rays care about?

2 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Anyway, about Corey Dickerson, Longoria is right - dude was an all-star.  You don't DFA that.  What a two-bit organization.  I hope the Yanks offer them a buncha good prospects and kick in some cash and luxury box tickets for Archer, because what else can the Rays care about?

Yeah, I still don’t get it. Like at all.

Bombers fans of the board - What do you think of Drury's chances of starting the season at the hot corner or possibly second? 

I have to admit, this move came out of nowhere for me, but I'm excited to see how he slots into our lineup. Dbacks getting Souza sorta helps the production hole that JD left, and Tampa looks like they're taking $$ off the books to possibly apply for a new stadium. It's unfortunate that they won't be competitive this year but who knows, it's baseball

On 2/20/2018 at 1:51 AM, dmc515 said:

Sounds like what you're looking for is more LotR.  He's pretty good in all of them.  I make light of this because there's at least a hundred Jackie Robinson books if you just search his name on Amazon.  Do I know which ones are best?  No.  But you're never gonna get an unbiased answer on that anyway.  It's like asking what's the best Thomas Jefferson book, irony included.

Well I was hoping for a biased answer in a way, I’m always interested in what the local tastes and favorites are. 

On 2/20/2018 at 2:18 AM, Myshkin said:

I’m not sure you could call him reluctant, in the sense that he knew exactly what he was facing and exactly what it all meant when he signed with the Dodgers. That he wasn’t particularly vocal about the societal impact he was having was by design. Jackie wasn’t the clear best black ball player in the world, but Branch Rickey signed him over others because he knew Robinson could handle the incredible abuse that would come his way with dignity and grace, and let his play do the talking for him.

I’m not saying that he was reluctant, that’s just how he came off in the movie initially. I get why Rickey selected him, that was the best way to go about it. 

2 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

Bombers fans of the board - What do you think of Drury's chances of starting the season at the hot corner or possibly second? 

I have to admit, this move came out of nowhere for me, but I'm excited to see how he slots into our lineup. Dbacks getting Souza sorta helps the production hole that JD left, and Tampa looks like they're taking $$ off the books to possibly apply for a new stadium. It's unfortunate that they won't be competitive this year but who knows, it's baseball

He's more likely to start the season at 2nd I think.

On 2/21/2018 at 0:30 PM, PyroclasticFlow said:

On 2/21/2018 at 2:57 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He's more likely to start the season at 2nd I think.

Based on Cashman's comments he clearly views Drury as a 3rd baseman.  Of course, Cash's comments should always be taken with a grain of salt and how playing time is doled out in ST will be an indicator.  However, I do think it's clear the brass has much more faith in Torres than Andujar, even in terms of being ready right now.  Torres will spend a few weeks in the minors to get the extra year of control, then be their second baseman.  Andujar will have to beat out Drury in ST or prove he's worth a callup eventually (I expect the latter) - I think Drury is the favorite to start the season at 3B right now.  There is room for all three on the roster though, thanks to Drury's versatility (he can serve as the BU1B rather than Austin).  

On 2018-02-20 at 2:18 AM, Myshkin said:

Dignity, grace AND anger. He’s seen Jackie’s anger, he thought it was important and needed to fuel the horrible road he was being asked to haul. He had reservations that someone like Gibson would be too prone to blowing up, but he also had reservations about other players being too submissive. He thought there was a difference between wanting some to ‘just play’ rather than ‘just play along’.

10 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Good lord, another prospect for the White Sox is injured. Jake Burger had to be carted off the field after suffering a left Achilles injury while running to first base during a spring training game against Oakland.

At least you have a million prospects, the Mariners have one legit guy and he keeps going in for knee surgery. Also the once glorious king of this snake bitten franchise took a liner off the forearm and will miss a bit of time. Luckily the tests came back negative so it is just a big ol' bruise. Hopefully this (along with the other two injured guys expected to be Major League contributors) isn't a sign of things to come.

On 2/26/2018 at 4:40 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Good lord, another prospect for the White Sox is injured. Jake Burger had to be carted off the field after suffering a left Achilles injury while running to first base during a spring training game against Oakland.

It sucks...but it' a legit way of slowing down the rebuild to do it right, rather than a Miami style deliberate tank or have a slobbering fan base wanting to accelerate the time table...

That said, it sucks and isn' the way it' supposed to happen.  I'm far from a Sox guy, but they've absolutely been rebuilding the right way and two successful baseball teams in Chicago is preferable. 

I thought they reached with Burger in the draft last year.  Just looking at him, I don't see how he stays at 3b, and you don't see RH 1Bs drafted that early.  Anyway, he wasn't even one of their six top 100 prospects according to MLB and Fangraphs (which actually are 8 total players), plus Moncada.  White Sox still have plenty to be excited about in terms of young guys.

Yanks had an interesting lineup today with Gardner not playing.  Didi led off, and Bird hit 3rd between Judge and Stanton.  Boone said today that ideally he'd prefer a lefty to separate Judge and Stanton, so it would appear Bird has an opportunity there.

Also, loved the Adam Lind signing.  Great Bird insurance and given Bird's injury history, I expect he'll make the opening day roster.

11 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yanks had an interesting lineup today with Gardner not playing.  Didi led off, and Bird hit 3rd between Judge and Stanton.  Boone said today that ideally he'd prefer a lefty to separate Judge and Stanton, so it would appear Bird has an opportunity there.

Also, loved the Adam Lind signing.  Great Bird insurance and given Bird's injury history, I expect he'll make the opening day roster.

If Bird can make it through the spring healthy I imagine he would be there. Lind was a great signing, I'm shocked he didn't get a better offer elsewhere.

Archived