Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

14 hours ago, Risto said:

2. I am not sure what's the deal with Max's family. So, Billy is angry and lashing out on Max because they moved? I thought there is more to that story when he said "whose fault is that?" but apparently, beside abusive father, that would be pretty much that. Unless, I missed something.

It strangely kind of reminded me of those afterschool specials that aired on television in the 80s.

I did enjoy the scene where Max sneaks out of the house with Lucas while Billy was lifting weights. It felt a lot like the scene in The Goonies where Mikey and his friends tie up his brother Brand while he's exercising.

I've read some posts speculating Billy may be the vector, henchman, host, etc. for the baddy next season. Interesting idea. It would kind of salvage my impression of Billy this season and his inclusion in the story. I did feel he was quite pointless.

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

How the hell is that even possible? It was specifically stated that one year passed since season one. So am I supposed to believe they were 14 last season? And Will was 11 and he happened to skip three years of school because he is smart? That really can’t be the case. 

Okay, so according to google, they were 12 last season and they are 13 now. Still not sure why all 13-year-old characters need romantic relationships and kissing. 

I legitimately don't get your issue.  Two of four now have a relationship.  They are in puberty.  Whats your deal?

Twelve / thirteen is absolutely an appropriate time for romantic relationships. And I loved the first kisses - they were so adorably innocent. Especially Lucas and Max. Just a quick touch of the lips and everyone is all giddy and happy. It was adorable. It was especially funny to hear the kids talk about it in the after show because they genuinely were all giggly and awkward about their respective kissing scenes.

4 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

- there were a couple things I would have liked to get an answer to. So how did Dustin’s mom find out that Mews was dead and accept she had to get a new kitten? Did Aunt Becky have anything to say about Hopper’s adopting Eleven? Did she even find out where she’s gone? 

Do you really think screentime was necessary to explain how Dustin's mom was able to move past the dead cat?

As for the dance, I remember being 13 and my friends and I were all as excited as the kids were on screen to get a dance with a girl. It seems pretty realistic. 

4 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

How the hell is that even possible? It was specifically stated that one year passed since season one. So am I supposed to believe they were 14 last season? And Will was 11 and he happened to skip three years of school because he is smart? That really can’t be the case. 

Okay, so according to google, they were 12 last season and they are 13 now. Still not sure why all 13-year-old characters need romantic relationships and kissing. 

Because that's how they act. Taught middle school for 8 years. Those middle school dances? Either hugging and smooching, or hiding from each other, but a lot of girlfriend/boyfriend drama, and who likes who. Kind of nailed it.

I really like 3 Musketeers.  It’s no Twix or Snickers, but it’s up there.

As for season 2, definitely a worthy follow up I really enjoyed it.  The show has a Goonies meets X-Files kinda feel and I hope they can keep it rolling.

On 10/31/2017 at 0:17 PM, Kalbear said:

Oh come on, that's about as 80s a trope as you can get. We never saw him die. This is why they went to great pains to show us Bob's grisly death - so we aren't all going 'is he alive?' If you don't see the body in a horror movie it's not dead.

Chances are he's going to be like Will, partially infected by the Mind Flayer, and end up having powers to fight Eleven.

Mind Flayer brenner vs Jane-11 would be an epic cap to a trilogy for that character.

7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I legitimately don't get your issue.  Two of four now have a relationship.  They are in puberty.  Whats your deal?

It’s not an issue, I just thought it was a bit too much to have all of them have romantic interests, or close to all, Will was just kinda happy to dance. That’s just not how I remember middle school but I suppose I had lived in a bubble. It really doesn’t matter. 

Sean Astin is a fantastic man. He's so adorable.

I'm not sure I see the Billy being gay thing. Though they certainly could lean into the trope if they wanted to (but they shouldn't.) I saw him more as a Stephen King homage, as every Stephen King book has that guy. It was certainly in my mind because IT just happened.

We'll see where they go with it in Season 3 (if anywhere) but I definitely got some "Billy is gay" vibes.  Maybe they won't actually get into it, which I would be fine with, but I do think the show was hinting at it.  

On 2017-11-06 at 5:22 PM, The BlackBear said:

Sean Astin is a fantastic man. He's so adorable.

I'm not sure I see the Billy being gay thing. Though they certainly could lean into the trope if they wanted to (but they shouldn't.) I saw him more as a Stephen King homage, as every Stephen King book has that guy. It was certainly in my mind because IT just happened.

I agree with this. Of course I may have missed it, but I really don't see where they hinted at him being gay? Anyway, I kind of liked him, or maybe it's just the scene with Mike's mom that's stuck in my mind. Though Billy and Kali both need to play a part in the future, if they don't, they will have been pretty useless. 

On 06/11/2017 at 7:14 AM, RhaenysB said:

It’s not an issue, I just thought it was a bit too much to have all of them have romantic interests, or close to all, Will was just kinda happy to dance. That’s just not how I remember middle school but I suppose I had lived in a bubble. It really doesn’t matter. 

I guess Will's was just a random thing and probably not the beginning of anything (unles i missed something and the girl had interacted with him earlier in the season).

I'm just pleased the ball didn't turn into a Carrie homage!

3 hours ago, Mikael said:

I agree with this. Of course I may have missed it, but I really don't see where they hinted at him being gay? Anyway, I kind of liked him, or maybe it's just the scene with Mike's mom that's stuck in my mind. Though Billy and Kali both need to play a part in the future, if they don't, they will have been pretty useless. 

There was an odd chemistry with him and Steve. Also I think the comments by Mike's awful dad had more to them than maybe just him throwing out random bigotted slurs. I don't know but the comments seemed quite pointed and aimed at questioning Billy's masculinity. It might just be that his working out, impressing the ladies and tough guy persona is simply dealing with his Dad undermining him but I think it could be really interesting if his dad treat him so badly because Billy may have shown signs of being gay. It would make him a lot more conflicted. Of course it could just be as you say and he's just a super 80s teen antagonist. I remember the villain from Karate Kid seeming a little too intense/interested in karate kid and there's the trailer edit of Top Gun too to suggest Billy is just being super 80s.

Did anyone see the rumour the actor who played Billy may be playing "nightwing"? Not sure if it was the in development film or the titans series but I could see him being a fit for the character. If he is - I guess he may die in episode one of the third season.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

I guess Will's was just a random thing and probably not the beginning of anything (unles i missed something and the girl had interacted with him earlier in the season).

I'm just pleased the ball didn't turn into a Carrie homage!

I guess it was enough that every single viewer (or near enough to make no matter) thought about "Carrie" when Eleven entered the ballroom.

26 minutes ago, red snow said:

In the first episode, Will opened his locker and there was a newspaper clipping about him that someone had put in there with the words "Zombie Boy" written on it. IIRC, that phrase only appears to other times in the show; once later in the episode, on a drawing Will was making, and once at the end dance when the girl who asks him to dance called him Zombie Boy.

In the first episode, it's treated like a mean-spirited teasing note (and Will has that talk with Jonathan afterwards where he calls himself a freak), but after seeing the ending, I wonder if that was supposed a flirty teasing note from that girl.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

There was an odd chemistry with him and Steve. Also I think the comments by Mike's awful dad had more to them than maybe just him throwing out random bigoted slurs. I don't know but the comments seemed quite pointed and aimed at questioning Mike's masculinity. It might just be that his working out, impressing the ladies and tough guy persona is simply dealing with his Dad undermining him but I think it could be really interesting if his dad treat him so badly because Mike may have shown signs of being gay. It would make him a lot more conflicted. Of course it could just be as you say and he's just a super 80s teen antagonist. I remember the villain from Karate Kid seeming a little too intense/interested in karate kid and there's the trailer edit of Top Gun too to suggest Mike is just being super 80s.

Did anyone see the rumour the actor who played Mike may be playing "nightwing"? Not sure if it was the in development film or the titans series but I could see him being a fit for the character. If he is - I guess he may die in episode one of the third season.

Do you mean Billy? Mike is the leader of the kids.

I've seen enough 'lad' pony play at school to not necessarily think two masculine guys butting heads has to be sexual. The 'faggot' comment could have been a signifier, but I didn't read it that way, if one were to follow the trope that would generally implie the dad more than Billy.

Datepalm mentioned the way he looked after the encounter with Mrs Byres, I don't recall that, but he looked pretty damn pleased when she opened the door in her dressing gown.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

In the first episode, Will opened his locker and there was a newspaper clipping about him that someone had put in there with the words "Zombie Boy" written on it. IIRC, that phrase only appears to other times in the show; once later in the episode, on a drawing Will was making, and once at the end dance when the girl who asks him to dance called him Zombie Boy.

In the first episode, it's treated like a mean-spirited teasing note (and Will has that talk with Jonathan afterwards where he calls himself a freak), but after seeing the ending, I wonder if that was supposed a flirty teasing note from that girl.

that's a pretty god catch. makes sense

I certainly got a "Billy is gay" vibe when watching it.

I guess the first, very minor thing is when Billy is basically dominating Steve on the basketball court. But then he leans over him and tells him to plant his feet next time and draw the charge. So, he does seem to be offering helpful advice. Not a smoking gun, by any means. But that's followed by them standing naked together in the shower and Billy comments on how "pretty" Steve is. Sure... he says it in a cutting way - telling him "don't worry, a pretty boy like you will be just fine" in reference to the Nancy break-up. But regardless, he's still commenting on how pretty Steve is while they're standing there together naked.

None of that was enough to have me drawing the conclusion that he is gay. But it had me wondering if he might be.

4 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

I certainly got a "Billy is gay" vibe when watching it.

I guess the first, very minor thing is when Billy is basically dominating Steve on the basketball court. But then he leans over him and tells him to plant his feet next time and draw the charge. So, he does seem to be offering helpful advice. Not a smoking gun, by any means. But that's followed by them standing naked together in the shower and Billy comments on how "pretty" Steve is. Sure... he says it in a cutting way - telling him "don't worry, a pretty boy like you will be just fine" in reference to the Nancy break-up. But regardless, he's still commenting on how pretty Steve is while they're standing there together naked.

None of that was enough to have me drawing the conclusion that he is gay. But it had me wondering if he might be.

I couldn't watch anything in that basketball scene except the bad basketball.  Not as bad as Teen Wolf but bad.  Like 3 guys on the same team posting up at the same time, and Steve then posting up at the 3 point line.  Just amazing.  Plus the through the legs layup which must have taken 575 takes as Billy could barely get off the ground.

21 hours ago, Fez said:

The older teenagers on Halloween also call him Zombie boy before he gets knocked to the ground and goes to the Upside Down.

Archived