Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

25 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

haha, that would have been awesome!

During the Grigori scenes, i kept thinking this was some nod to Terminator! :P

Me, too, especially the scene at the abandoned house. His accent is even a bit close to Arnold's.

I've binged it too. It was good, but I think possibly the weakest season. Still a lot of fun though, Robin in particular was great. However,

Spoiler

I thought it was a mistake to have the two big storylines, the Russians and the Mindflayer, be so separate from each other. Even in the final episode, there were really two different climaxes that had very little to do with each other. And the three core groups were so isolated from each other the entire season, moreso than in the past ones. I also thought it was a mistake to not switch up the groups in the final episodes. Why not have someone else take Dustin to the radio tower?

I thought Hopper's character regressed badly for the first several episodes; going back to being loud, angry, possibly drunk guy that doesn't listen to or believe people. It didn't fit.

Cary Elwes was wasted in the role. There was nothing bad I guess, I just wish there was so much more to him. Jake Busey was good though, and it was kinda hilarious seeing Paul Riser show up for 5 seconds with no dialog. I wonder how much he got paid for that?

I also really disliked Erica. She was fine in small doses in season 2; but giving her a large role makes it stand out how different her acting is from anyone else's. She's a larger-than-life sitcom kid and I didn't think fit at all with what was going on.

There were just a huge number of references to '80s culture, which was fun. But I kinda felt at times that they were substituting making Hawkins feel like 1985 for just referencing things from the '80s.

The product placement got to be too much this year. Especially the New Coke stuff.

Other thoughts, not complaints though:

Spoiler

I was hoping the finale would be a Dawn of the Dead-style zombie invasion of the mall, and was a bit disappointed when the mind flayer just absorbed them all. And it left me wondering, what made Billy special that he was left alive?

Poor Steve. He finally meets the girl who seems perfect for him, and she's gay. Although, considering his reaction to her coming out when its 1985, just solidifies his goodness. At least they seem to have become bffs, based on their ending.

The show looked great this year. And not just the special effects either, I think the cinematography took a step up as well.

I didn't get hit by the nostalgia factor this year the way I have in past years. But I think that intentional (except for folks that really liked hanging out at malls) and the show this year was truer to what the '80s were actually like; dying downtowns, extreme consumerism, and rampant sexism in the workplace. 

I'm not sure what to make of that line in the post-credits scene about the Russians having an American prisoner. I've seen it suggested that its Hopper, and I agree that the most likely option. He, and the other Russians in hazmats at the end, weren't goo-ified the way the Russians in the opening were, they were dusted. And as we saw at the end Season 1 when Eleven got dusted, that just means you end up in the upside down. The Russians have a gate open in Siberia now, so maybe Hopper got out that way. On the other hand, I think it cheapens the ending quite a lot if he lived. The only option I can think of, besides it being a tease of new character (but if that's the case, why have the line at all?), is that it's Dr. Brenner. We never saw his body, someone claimed in Season 2 that he was still alive, and it would give an explanation for how the Russians found out about how to open a gate and why Hawkins was important. On the other hand, I'm not sure how he'd end in Russian hands. If he survived, I'd think the US government would grab him when they were cleaning things up after the end of season one.

Overall, I'd probably give it 8/10, which, without getting into decimals, is also where I'd put season two. I'd give season one 10/10 though.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Hide contents

I'm not sure what to make of that line in the post-credits scene about the Russians having an American prisoner. I've seen it suggested that its Hopper, and I agree that the most likely option. He, and the other Russians in hazmats at the end, weren't goo-ified the way the Russians in the opening were, they were dusted. And as we saw at the end Season 1 when Eleven got dusted, that just means you end up in the upside down. The Russians have a gate open in Siberia now, so maybe Hopper got out that way. On the other hand, I think it cheapens the ending quite a lot if he lived. The only option I can think of, besides it being a tease of new character (but if that's the case, why have the line at all?), is that it's Dr. Brenner. We never saw his body, someone claimed in Season 2 that he was still alive, and it would give an explanation for how the Russians found out about how to open a gate and why Hawkins was important. On the other hand, I'm not sure how he'd end in Russian hands. If he survived, I'd think the US government would grab him when they were cleaning things up after the end of season one.

Obviously it's Barb.

Just finished my binge and loved it. I also thought that they were separated for too long, but since the cast was larger they really needed to be apart to get the screen time I guess. Loved the ham radio karaokee Never Ending Story song, nailed that.  Have to agree that it's probably Hopper that is the Russian prisoner, but I really hope it isn't, would be a cop out to save him, sometimes a character needs to die. 

One question, I thought Billy and Max moved here alone, did I miss it where the dad was mentioned as living there? Also, no explanation of where Max came from, just that scene where a 8 (or so) year old Max is shown to Billy and told, here is your new sister? Did I miss a lot or what, is it a second wifes daughter?

So many references to 80's movies, I didn't start noticing until the Terminator scene at the house, very clearly a nod to it. Also caught the following, National Lampoons Vacations, Grizwald Family code name for the kids when Dustin called them on the radio, named Cerebro of course. Magnum PI on tv then Hopper gets the shirt like him and gets called Magnum PI later. I got a The Shining vibe when Busey broke through the glass window in the hospital. They played a song from Beverly Hills Cop during an escape scene, which felt right.  Rambo reference from the Russian about Hopper.  The Ralph Machio as The Karate Kid in the magazine, then Lucas is dressed in the Karate Kid inspired shirt and bandanna. Of course the Star Wars light saber duel in the ice cream shop when Dustin and Steve meet up after Dustin returns.  Of course, the Never Ending Story duet.  I am not including the movies talked about at the Family Video store since they were named.

15 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Just finished episode one :commie:.

I know what happens to Mike when he grows up too, the resemblance is uncanny :P.

I find it a bit eerie how Mike and Will are looking more and more like Joey and Johnny Ramone.

Is Hopper doing his best Magnum PI impression with that shirt?

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

One question, I thought Billy and Max moved here alone, did I miss it where the dad was mentioned as living there? Also, no explanation of where Max came from, just that scene where a 8 (or so) year old Max is shown to Billy and told, here is your new sister? Did I miss a lot or what, is it a second wifes daughter?

In season 2 we see their parents. Billy's dad married Max's mom. The dad is a bully, just like Billy. And as we see this season, a wife beater, so I'm worried about Max's mom.

Just finished season 3. Some elements of it were very good, even excellent.

The overall plot and storytelling bled from a thousands wounds, however, and sooooooo many questions remained answered and unaddressed. Many character arcs were told in reverse and many characters were annoying or even unlikable. 

I also had a conceptual issues, which may or may not be just a personal thing. Either way, they bothered me and took away from the entertainment value/ coherence of the story. 

It was averagely enjoyable, however, so there’s that and the highlights were truly great. 

I’d give it a.... 6.5/10 

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

I find it a bit eerie how Mike and Will are looking more and more like Joey and Johnny Ramone.

Is Hopper doing his best Magnum PI impression with that shirt?

:D You’re right they do look like Joey and Johnny Ramone too!.

That shirt is great!, Lucas’ sister is hilarious too.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I wish another show that recently ended that I devoted almost a decade of my life to would have made me feel even half as much...

Hey! The Big Bang Theory's finale was fine!

With the past seasons, I found that my opinion of it improves with subsequent watches. That being said, I thought this season was great, but not without its issues, yet it's likely I'll improve my opinion of it again.

Spoiler

The Soviets being able to secretly build a massive underground base that draws insane amounts of electricity, in the heartland of America, and transport there hundreds of people who could barely blend in, is by far the most far-fetched aspect of the entire show. And it was a bit much for the kids that got in there to be so successful, though the characters interactions of that group were excellent.

I don't know yet. Just finished it, and...the caracitures of certain characters were a bit too much. Mostly Hopper. He went from my favorite character to the character in every sitcom who is taken over by traits (like slightly dumb characters in sitcoms becoming bumbling morons as the seasons go on). 

I am uncertain why...

Spoiler

Why the Mindflayer died when the gate closed. Did I miss a detail somewhere?

Spoiler

Was the Terminator super human? His first scene in the prologue was absolutely superhuman, but by the end, it was like he was just a bad ass? If he was super human, why?

And honestly, Erica's about the worst thing on TV since...I don't know. Couldn't stand her. Her scenes were awful.

Erica’s scenes were awful? Couldnt disagree more, just finished episode 4 and she was a delight. Can’t spell America without Erica. She is the epitome of precocious sass child with a high opinion of herself...which is exactly what the character is supposed to be, and i love it.

not opening any spoiler boxes, but i also love/hate how Hopper is dealing with El. It totally makes sense how overprotective he would want to be so i appreciate it from that perpective, while at the same time noting that it makes him hellishly unlikeable

Archived