Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

14 hours ago, Astromech said:

I enjoyed most of the season, if a little less than I did seasons 1 and 2. A bit too much time wasted on the budding romances this season. I loved Bauman expressing my opinion to Hopper and Joyce during that car ride. They were more tiring than Eleven and Mike

Dustin's relationship, however, had a great payoff. Probably my fav scene this season. Makes up for the nausea flashbacks I got from seeing the Gravitron several times this season.

I honestly found the Russian subplot more entertaining than the mind flayer one. Dustin and Steve are always entertaining together and Robin and Erica were nice additions. 

Nice little cliffhanger to end the season on.

For me, Joyce didn't grate on my nerves like Hopper did this season--and again, he was always my favorite character in previous seasons. Joyce is great though, and of course, that's Winona's talent. No matter what she does in the show, there's a kind of pathos she carries with her, and I always root for her. I never wanted anything bad to happen to Hopper this season of course, but there were times when he was getting punched out that I was like, "Yeah, you kind of deserve that."

This was a good season, but had some definite missteps. I wonder if this is a case of the Duffer Bros taking more control over the project. We've seen this happen with other talented directors and writers (Peter Jackson), and there are accounts that the Duffers have huge egos.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Steve's reaction was amazing, he didn't make it weird and just accepted her.

I feel really shitty for Erica, she's not going to be compensated for her role in Operation Child Endangerment.

Yeah it was, it made me like him more as a character, not that I didn’t before(well except the beginning of S1) but wish everyone reacted like that :D.

21 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Yeah it was, it made me like him more as a character, not that I didn’t before(well except the beginning of S1) but wish everyone reacted like that :D.

And I loved the look she gave the video store clerk when he asked what was in it for her when all the hot girls come in to see Steve. I love what the writers did with him, I hated him for the bulk of season one and now he's my favorite part. I did a rewatch off all the scenes featuring Scoops Troop from the first 5 episodes.

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

For me, Joyce didn't grate on my nerves like Hopper did this season--and again, he was always my favorite character in previous seasons. Joyce is great though, and of course, that's Winona's talent. No matter what she does in the show, there's a kind of pathos she carries with her, and I always root for her. I never wanted anything bad to happen to Hopper this season of course, but there were times when he was getting punched out that I was like, "Yeah, you kind of deserve that."

This was a good season, but had some definite missteps. I wonder if this is a case of the Duffer Bros taking more control over the project. We've seen this happen with other talented directors and writers (Peter Jackson), and there are accounts that the Duffers have huge egos.

So we have another D&D pair to deal with? Great!

8 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It did seem most of the traffic was one way in that regard. Joyce was the passive irritant while Hopper was the active. He was perhaps a bit too comical at times this season.

I completely agree with you regarding Winona and her pathos.

ETA: Just found out the actress playing Robin is Maya Hawke, Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke's daughter.

Overall I thought this season was. . . good. Yeah, I'd call it good. I came away from it feeling really satisfied, but now that I've had some time to stew on it, I'm more torn. Although new additions such as Robin and Alexei worked really well, the cast is just too big now for the kind of intimate storytelling this show follows.

Like a number of other people in this thread, Joyce and Hopper's adventure was my least favorite subplot, and they really made Hop seem like a bully this year. Hopper was always a complex character whose vices were outweighed by his virtues, but this year he was downright brutish (I took no joy in watching him beat the crap out of Cary Elwes).

Steve, Dustin, and Robin were definitely the most entertaining group, although I admit I really didn't care much for their Cold War infiltration plot. I can definitely acknowledge Steve's excellent comedic timing, but I never found him to be a particularly deep or engrossing character the way many other people do. I wasn't a big fan of Erica, but she did have her moments.

Nancy and Jonathan's plot felt like a wasted opportunity. There were a handful of brilliant, real-world moments, like their argument over whether the newspaper internship was worth the trouble, and that showdown in the hospital, but other than that it just felt like treading water until the finale. Jonathan's always been the character I've found most relatable, so it's been really disappointing to see how little he's had to do for the past two seasons. I also thought the sexist reporters were too cartoonish - in reality, there are many different types of sexism, and chances are that while a few of the men would have been loud and obnoxious, most of them would have been a lot more subtle.

Will and Lucas had virtually nothing to do this season either, Max's personality kept swinging between bold and meek, and Mike was. . . Mike. From what I've seen, kids generally love Mike, while adults are a lot less smitten.

Eleven, on the other hand, was terrific, and I'm continually blown away by MBB's acting.

The set-up for next season could be interesting. It'll be nice to see the Byers and Eleven being a family, and hopefully Dustin will start hanging out with Mike and Lucas again. That ending was devastating.

I'm also hoping that we get to return to the Upside Down (although they've already opened and closed the gate twice now). Stranger Things has this whole other world to explore (literally), and they haven't been doing anything with it.

Oh, and Billy never felt like a character to me, just a plot device. It was sad watching Max grieve him, but we've seen the villain-was-abused-as-a-child trope done so many times now that it's not really that revolutionary (plus, we knew that Billy's father abused him last season).

My favorite part of the season was Will beating the shit out of his fort in the rain after basically losing his friends to teenagerdom. They shot that and acted that amazingly. 

Not reading this, only 2 episodes in, don't want to be spoiled. Only wanted to say I really like the addition of Robin and just learned the actress that plays her is Maya Hawke, Ethan Hawke's and Uma Thurman's daughter.

14 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

And I loved the look she gave the video store clerk when he asked what was in it for her when all the hot girls come in to see Steve. I love what the writers did with him, I hated him for the bulk of season one and now he's my favorite part. I did a rewatch off all the scenes featuring Scoops Troop from the first 5 episodes.

Yeah I really like Steve now too, he’s like the Jamie Lannister of Stanger Things :P.

A decent season of television; 6/10

Two questions:

Why did the Russians want to re-open the gate/portal? From what I gathered they never explained that part

What was the hole in the ground that appeared in the Russian base while Erica and Dustin are rescuing Steve and Rabin? looks like it was made from acid? Maybe I missed something...

Edit:

Also, how come no one noticed the dozens of corpses at the city hospital after the gang fled? 

6 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

Two questions:

Why did the Russians want to re-open the gate/portal? From what I gathered they never explained that part

What was the hole in the ground that appeared in the Russian bade while Erica and Dustin are rescuing Steve and Rabin? looks like it was made from acid? Maybe I missed something...

Not clear idea on the first part, other than a Cold War race to master or control a new technology or access to a new dimension before the Americans did.

The green liquid in the batteries the Russians use to power the laser is some kind of acid.   The one that was used to hold open the elevator door ate into the floor when it cracked.  I assumed Dustin and Erica broke open a bunch of the batteries to cause damage and create a diversion so they could get to Steve and Robin.

27 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

Two questions:

From the after the credits scene?

Xenomorphs. 

I don't think that the Americans ever actually wanted to open and get to the Upside Down. That was something of an accident, right? 

But the Russians apparently had planned it and studied it. That was their goal. And it's pretty awesome if they can do it - not only do they get demogorgons, they get potentially a way to travel throughout the world and reappear almost anywhere without any kind of detection. Imagine moving an army through the Upside Down to be in America without anyone knowing. 

Archived