Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The show needed to move on from the kids after S1, they have outlived their welcome by quite a mile. 

So what you wish it had gone the anthology route? Or jumped ahead ten years? 

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The kids are the heart of the story. Especially El and Dustin. I seriously doubt the show would continue to be such a hit had they gone either of those routes. 

You’d think that after the first season,  but turns out they really weren’t that interesting after all when viewed over 3 seasons. I’d have been more than happy to have never seen from them again by the end of season 3 as they had just become irritating.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

You’d think that after the first season,  but turns out they really weren’t that interesting after all when viewed over 3 seasons. I’d have been more than happy to have never seen from them again by the end of season 3 as they had just become irritating.

But is that because of the kids or is it because of the way the show was set up last season with them being separated for the whole season? 

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

But is that because of the kids or is it because of the way the show was set up last season with them being separated for the whole season? 

I think its because the kids were never the most interesting part of the show for me, and I never saw a lot of potential in their stories (something that seems to have been proven correct over 3 seasons)

For me what made Season 1 of Stranger Things stand out was the Upside Down and some of the ideas being floated around about this other dimension and what it means.

As a child of the 80's I find it difficult to watch this show and not just see every character as a collection of tropes and attributes of the 80's movies they are clearly riffing off. Some people might find it endearing, but it's hard to see characters as living and breathing when they are so obviously reworks from stuff like the Goonies. Even Eleven, the most interesting character at times feels like I'm just watching D.A.R.Y.L! 

I think the show has really just put itself into a straight jacket narratively by feeling the need to concentrate on that same group of kids. We've seen in seasons 2 and 3 the show has really struggled to find a story worth telling. The focus has been on trying to push the existing characters forwards and do something with them, and they haven't found a good way of creating a long term story for those character to sit inside.

Instead by season 3 they hatch up some faceless big bad and make the gang fight it. Eleven just becomes a bit of McGuffin in every story and usually the answer to all problems. 

Really I think if they had made the brave move of saying Stranger Things is an Anthology show about the Upside Down then that would have released them creatively to write much more interesting stories and create more involving characters. The gang might even show up in cameos or as side characters. It could have been great. They could really mine that idea for some cool stuff. Instead the plan is really 'Which 80's tropes can we force onto our characters this year' whether it makes sense or not.

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The kids are the heart of the story. Especially El and Dustin. I seriously doubt the show would continue to be such a hit had they gone either of those routes. 

Another similarity with TWD. It's a high concept show completely reliant on setting and 'cute' characters for popularity, while plot is just rinse and repeat. It's future is to spin its wheels until novelty wears off and show stops generating positive buzz for Netflix.

We need to keep the kids because then we get to see Will discover NIN and go to the first Lollapalooza. 

Also this show is obviously science fiction because there's no way a boy in 1983 Indiana didn't have at least one hair band painter's hat or painted mirror he won at the fair. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Not too surprised really, they must have known nobody bought for a second he was dead and gone. Plus With social media this was bound to leak sooner or later anyway. Far rather they head of the pointless Jon Snow Hopper is dead, really we swear it *snort* that would plague the pre-release otherwise.

The teaser:

I'm still waiting for them to explain how the Soviet Union built a massive underground facility in the middle of the United States and travelled to and from from it with complete impunity at the near-height of the Cold War, and were able to extract an American citizen and fly him to the USSR without anyone noticing.

13 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm still waiting for them to explain how the Soviet Union built a massive underground facility in the middle of the United States and travelled to and from from it with complete impunity at the near-height of the Cold War, and were able to extract an American citizen and fly him to the USSR without anyone noticing.

I fully expect Hopper to be rescued by the CIA as, no doubt, it will be revealed they also built a super-secret facility in Siberia, and have moved James Bond level of resources there, including stealth planes. ;)

But Hopper got there via the portal, me thinks.

24 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Shhhhh. Secret tunnels. 

Edit: on the second point, I thought the consensus was Hopper survived the blast by hopping through the portal. 

And  Soviet personnel established on the other side nabbed him. 

Archived