Gun Control III: the Hedge Knight Rises.

Mother Cocanuts

25 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Anyway, it's extremely unfortunate that those people think they are going to change their lack of economic or political power because they can get any type of gun they wish, particularly if they are going to vote in such a manner where they keep denying those things to others.

Not just to others. Gun rights tend to be defended by the same politicians who harm the economic power of the masses. That's why gun rights have in fact become a substitute for so many things. Like, you don't have the right to education or healthcare, but you get to have an assault rifle if you want to, and you can always fantasize about becoming a hero when the zombie apocalypse strikes, so it's all good. Of course, the same ideology that's so intent on individual liberties also means that the 1% should be allowed to be free to contribute as little as they want to society, but hey, who wouldn't want tax cuts if they can keep guns?

Anyway, I just stumbled on this cracked article about the NRA. It's not very deep but it's a surprisingly good summary for a website that's supposed to offer humor:
http://www.cracked.com/article_25195_how-nra-lost-its-mind.html

21 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Not just to others. Gun rights tend to be defended by the same politicians who harm the economic power of the masses. That's why gun rights have in fact become a substitute for so many things. Like, you don't have the right to education or healthcare, but you get to have an assault rifle if you want to, and you can always fantasize about becoming a hero when the zombie apocalypse strikes, so it's all good. Of course, the same ideology that's so intent on individual liberties also means that the 1% should be allowed to be free to contribute as little as they want to society, but hey, who wouldn't want tax cuts if they can keep guns?

Anyway, I just stumbled on this cracked article about the NRA. It's not very deep but it's a surprisingly good summary for a website that's supposed to offer humor:

I thought that was a surprisingly informing article as well. 

On 2/25/2018 at 11:52 PM, Rippounet said:

That was a very interesting article and explains a great deal about why the current situation is so bad. It was sort of obvious to me the 2A was written in a different time and for a very specific set of circumstances but i had no idea that the NRA some extremist faction of the NRA had twisted its interpretation. That's a poor state of affairs for any country's constitution to be turned on its head by lobbyists like that.

You let part of your constitution be bought out and twisted by the gun industry for profit, that's pretty darn sad.

On 2/25/2018 at 5:52 PM, Rippounet said:

Cracked has a bunch of good articles that can give you good working understanding of a variety of topics.  I liked the NRA one.

Well, here's another brick in the wall of Republican hypocrisy:

One of Georgia's top lawmakers has threatened to "kill any tax legislation that benefits Delta" after the airline joined several other companies in ending a discount program associated with the National Rifle Association following a school shooting in Florida that left 17 people dead.

So, let me get this straight: A Republican lawmaker in Georgia says he will use his position to punish a company that isn't doing business the way he wants?  Yeah, that's the pro-business, less regulation, free market party at work right there! :rolleyes: 

Now, I wish Delta could just take its business elsewhere but that's not realistic.  However, I hope Delta pushes back against this ridiculousness hard and shows Georgia that it needs them far more than it needs Lt. Governor Cagle.  Delta is certainly no slouch when it comes contributions to the Georgia state economy, etc. (unless this link is all lies, which I seriously doubt).

Atlanta has been Delta's headquarters since 1941 and is the airline's largest hub worldwide. Consequently metro Atlanta and Georgia enjoy a considerable economic boost from Delta.

Piss Delta off at your own peril, Cagle.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Um, WTF, America?

You can't blame "America" any more for that one than Korea, since this is a breakaway faction of Sun Myung Moon's religious group run by one of his sons. I am sure they did this because they knew it would get them publicity. Perhaps they're on their way to being the Pennsylvania version of Westboro Baptist Church (in publicity seeking nonsense, not theology.)

20 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

That's just...I can't even...

And, unfortunately, US gun sales have done nothing but increase since the Parkland school shooting, I have no doubt.

Yay for Pennsylvania! 

That church is NUTS.

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You can't blame "America" any more for that one than Korea, since this is a breakaway faction of Sun Myung Moon's religious group run by one of his sons. I am sure they did this because they knew it would get them publicity. Perhaps they're on their way to being the Pennsylvania version of Westboro Baptist Church (in publicity seeking nonsense, not theology.)

Nobody's 'blaming' anyone. But anyone who thinks this sort of thing could happen in any other developed nation on Earth is just as barmy as these folks.

4 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Guys, it's one of these days when reading Breitbart is genuinely enjoyable. Don't miss the comments section, you're sure to like it as well.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/02/28/president-trump-2/

Jesus Christ might as well tell us to stare into the sun too while we're at it.

Looking back the most amazing part was Trump complaining about Obama to the Republicans about Obama not convincing them to vote on the Gun Bills back in 2013. Trump position was Obama was too weak to grab the guns first.

I will say there was a real miss opportunity for public agreement on respect for the 2nd Amendment and to have strong safeguards against weapons being allow to people that should not have them. A naive optimism but be some change after nearly 25 years.

Now of course he is "clarifying"

Grab the Guns First, Due Process second... Respect the 2nd Amendment!

-President Donald J. Trump

Archived