Bakker LII: Ol' Golgotterath Blues

Larry of the Lawn

18 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Bah. He'll get a deal. I find the pessimism around here laughable. From the AmA ruined the series.

For a lot of people it did. 

To, your rather see an overdone LotR, than something new.

It's not about us RATHER seeing this, it's pointing out the economic and political difficulties. When you say things like Amazon can afford it, this misses that point entirely. When we refute this, you casting us as wanting LotR on TV is completely missing the mark. 

You can be a fan of something and still acknowledge how hard things are going to be. If you believe the only way to be a fan of something is to blindly follow it and ignore any facts that hurt your position, well, you're doing a very good job of showing how precisely you idolize the humans in Bakker's books.

What fair weather fans. You should be ashamed. But, you won't. I get the feeling around here that you guys know what Bakker should do and what he shouldn't. Instead of just seeing what the man pulls off. 

Bakker's track record of pulling things off isn't super awesome so far. We have a failure of a psychological thriller, a failure of a detective series, major issues getting the final book published, no publisher announcing picking up his series after the second thing ends, general lack of social media presence and some of his biggest fans telling him off. Oh, and we have the admin of his fan site actively harassing other people and other sites. He's done some good things, too, but the best way to predict the future is to look at what has happened earlier - and there are a lot of red flags. 

Put it another way: would a company with a huge social media presence and view which recently dismissed two executive producers on the basis of sexual harassment do well or do poorly adapting someone like Bakker?

On 11/15/2017 at 9:37 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Also you keep ignoring the actual point, which is that TSA would be super FX heavy and cost a shit ton of money. Way more than say, I dunno, that Rings trilogy thing they made a while back.

See, I don't think so. When battles are done all don't have to be epic in scope. You can cut certain things. We have whole movies based on war and battles that don't break budgets. I feel there are ways around it with the right vision. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:40 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Wait, I should be ashamed because I think a TSA show would cost a lot?

Ashamed that you guys have been dedicated fans for years, a great place that brought a lot of people to the series. And, all I see anymore is 90% of you shitting on the series. That comment had nothing to do with the filming of it.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, Kalbear said:

It's not about us RATHER seeing this, it's pointing out the economic and political difficulties. When you say things like Amazon can afford it, this misses that point entirely. When we refute this, you casting us as wanting LotR on TV is completely missing the mark. 

You can be a fan of something and still acknowledge how hard things are going to be. If you believe the only way to be a fan of something is to blindly follow it and ignore any facts that hurt your position, well, you're doing a very good job of showing how precisely you idolize the humans in Bakker's books.

I never said you guys wanted LotR... I said I would rather see something new, anything but more LotR (which I am fan of, but I've had my fill).

The highest cost of a film is 368 mil Pirates of Caribbean. Which I truly believe that PoN, with the right vision, could very easily be done under 200 mil, if not less. 

On 11/16/2017 at 2:41 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Who said Bakker should do anything? I am super confused.

You're super confused, because your being condensceding. Its what you do. 

Again, don't really care that it isn't Bakker. Give me Abercrombie, Lawrence, or a whole host of other series of love see come to life. That's all. You know what would be a really good adaption? Josiah's Bancroft's Tower of Babel. I could think of many more that I would love to see. You guys are pegging me as a one horse pony, for Bakker. Its not the case. 

56 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I never said you guys wanted LotR... I said I would rather see something new, anything but more LotR (which I am fan of, but I've had my fill).

You literally said we'd rather see LotR than PoN

You're super confused, because your being condensceding. Its what you do. 

You literally said that we would rather tell Bakker what to do.

If they did do a TSA series, and kept the sorcery, they should make it the CGI for the sorcery really cheap and cheesy-looking. Giant ridiculous cheap CGI dragon-heads and walls for Anagogic sorcery, sparkly light beams for the Gnosis. They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

Maybe re-use some of the panning army shots as well.

28 minutes ago, Fall Bass said:

make it the CGI for the sorcery really cheap and cheesy-looking. Giant ridiculous cheap CGI dragon-heads and walls for Anagogic sorcery, sparkly light beams for the Gnosis. They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

This is why I said it would look laughable...

17 hours ago, Kalbear said:

No, you're taking my statement literally directed towards you guys. I'm saying in general. Damn, I'm speaking in general here,  not to anyone in particular.

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Lol, no, I actually have no idea what the fuck you are talking about, but continue to be a combative dick, it seems to be your MO.

Here's an emoji for ya: :ph34r:

Don't even accuse me of being combative, when anytime I post you have a snooty remark. I'm not being combative, merely discussing. Sorry, we have different opinions on the subject and I see it a different way. 

29 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You literally said "you guys" and "you are fairweather fans".

I get that this might not have been what you intended when you wrote it. But that's what the words say. 

Fair enough. Fair weather fans, yes. 

But, all comments about Amazon and LotR are in general. Anyway, it is what it is. Never read the Simillarion, bit I hope it done well.

15 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

They could save money that way and reduce some of the relentless grim-dark.

Perhaps glaringly bright effects, to contrast against the grim dark and to conceal the lack of high definition detail in the brightness. Actually, that'd fit the theme of 'Truth shines' as well! ;)

Here's a question on a different matter: Are Ciphrang supposed to be in hell? What if they are in there by mistake somehow - they are so damned that they fall beyond the comprehension of the shattered god thing and so fall outside it's eye - these inmates start to run the asylum, in other words.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Calling someone one condescending when they are confused as to what you are talking about is not "discussing".

It's a 'cry wolf' effect from the times you use 'Seriously?' and similar as a responce. The one time it is actual confusion it comes off as condescending again.

7 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Fair enough. Fair weather fans, yes. 

But, all comments about Amazon and LotR are in general. Anyway, it is what it is. Never read the Simillarion, bit I hope it done well.

Read the Silmarillion. It really is incredible. If you find yourself bogged down during the first two creation myth/ mythological chapters, skip ahead a bit to the part where it really takes off with Melkor ( He Who Arises in Might) and the High Elves. No way you wouldn't enjoy that. Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Battle of Unnumbered Tears. The Tale of Turin, Beren and Luthien vs The Dark Enemy, The Fall of Gondolin, the Kinslaying of the Elves, The Oath of Feanor ( 6 brothers swearing mad vengeance), it goes on and on.

Archived