Bakker LII: Ol' Golgotterath Blues

Larry of the Lawn

3 hours ago, Callan S. said:

Perhaps glaringly bright effects, to contrast against the grim dark and to conceal the lack of high definition detail in the brightness. Actually, that'd fit the theme of 'Truth shines' as well! ;)

I'd be up for that.

I can think of another way it would be thematically appropriate for the series. Doing sorcery leaves a mark upon the world, and it's compared at one point to a child scribbling on a piece of art. So why not make it deliberately look crude and unrealistic, because that's what sorcery amounts to - a crude over-writing of the world?

2 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

I'd be up for that.

I can think of another way it would be thematically appropriate for the series. Doing sorcery leaves a mark upon the world, and it's compared at one point to a child scribbling on a piece of art. So why not make it deliberately look crude and unrealistic, because that's what sorcery amounts to - a crude over-writing of the world?

I think you'd have to have some narration building up to that to establish that all it takes is crude constructs to dish out gruesome damage. Perhaps a narration while looking at a scarlet spires dragon head forming in slow motion, then gouting flame. Then it could work. But make sure it's not heavily pixelated. Smooth curves all around, even if the iconography is primitive.

What would be funny is that if you get into the latter books you end up with more budget and could spend more on Kellhus's castings, showing their higher quality than world born sorcery.

20 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Read the Silmarillion. It really is incredible. If you find yourself bogged down during the first two creation myth/ mythological chapters, skip ahead a bit to the part where it really takes off with Melkor ( He Who Arises in Might) and the High Elves. No way you wouldn't enjoy that. Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Battle of Unnumbered Tears. The Tale of Turin, Beren and Luthien vs The Dark Enemy, The Fall of Gondolin, the Kinslaying of the Elves, The Oath of Feanor ( 6 brothers swearing mad vengeance), it goes on and on.

I've got the Similllarion on my bookshelve. Xmas gift. Ill get to it one day for sure. I love Tolkien and everything I've read of his. Not shitting on the idea. Just, me, myself I like new content. But, they obviously feel their gonna strike it huge with this. I just don't know. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Is that part of anything Tolkien wrote? Or, just some notes and things type of deal?

It's nothing that Tolkien wrote at all. As far as I know this would be basically Shadows of Mordor fanfic level stuff.

I would absolutely cut against the grim dark of the series and design the color and look like Kurosawa's Ran. Bright primary colors everywhere to indicate different factions.  Open air colorful tents/walls for all the council-of-war etc so you can shoot basically anywhere because it hides the modern-contaminated backgrounds, only need establishing shots. 

Saturation, vibrance, murder, mayhem and massacres. goes well together. also worked for Bruce Lee and Tarantino, respectively.

33 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's nothing that Tolkien wrote at all. As far as I know this would be basically Shadows of Mordor fanfic level stuff.

Huh. Now see, that's why I would much look forward to a different new series being done. Lets just assume Bakker doesn't exist. I've always thought Lawrence and Abercrombie to be the 1st two Authors that are made for TV or film. I just don't get throwing 250 mil at LotR for rights, then doing fanfic?!?$? That's absolutely insane to me. Id much, much rather see the Simillarion, or stuff based off his notes.

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Wait what? Have you read Game of Thrones? Cause

Hide contents

Ned dies like a bitch.

Right. But, wouldn't you say that Jon Snow has been a main character, or Dany? There's too many characters to say that Ned losing his head in book one would constitute what @Callan S. was getting at.

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Huh. Now see, that's why I would much look forward to a different new series being done. Lets just assume Bakker doesn't exist. I've always thought Lawrence and Abercrombie to be the 1st two Authors that are made for TV or film. I just don't get throwing 250 mil at LotR for rights, then doing fanfic?!?$? That's absolutely insane to me. Id much, much rather see the Simillarion, or stuff based off his notes.

If someone were to do an adaptation of "The Lost Road" I would be up for that. :)

2 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Right. But, wouldn't you say that Jon Snow has been a main character, or Dany? There's too many characters to say that Ned losing his head in book one would constitute what @Callan S. was getting at.

Eh, I would argue that things pretty much go to shit for a majority of the pov characters in the first book.

Speaking of game of thrones, can I be off topic for a moment - I've only read the first but I have a friend who frankly feels a bit betrayed by the book, feeling every main character dies. He expects Arya to die next. He just thinks it's a cycle of build up then killed, over and over as a formula.

Not having read more than the first book, I have a question: Most of the main characters who die - are they seeking vengence? I'm guessing as to theme.

@Michael Seswatha Jordan I was talking about the first book, which was the first season of Game of Thrones. Ned was clearly the main character to the vast majority of viewers and he failed and died. Kellhus fails in TSA, in the seventh book, after being a god the whole time. I'm not even sure that a TSA adaptation if it happened will get to that point. If you wanted to give viewers a book where the main character fails, as Callan wants, it already happened, GoT was that book.

Speaking of characters dying in ASOIAF, GRRM had a comment on it which led some people to think he kills characters for pure shock value, (spoilers up to book 3)

I’ve said in many interviews that I like my fiction to be unpredictable. I like there to be considerable suspense. I killed Ned in the first book and it shocked a lot of people. I killed Ned because everybody thinks he’s the hero and that, sure, he’s going to get into trouble, but then he’ll somehow get out of it. The next predictable thing is to think his eldest son is going to rise up and avenge his father. And everybody is going to expect that. So immediately [killing Robb] became the next thing I had to do.

Archived