Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

17 hours ago, Julia H. said:

All you can rely on is your charisma

sniffer

your love of adventure

bell

your determination

Castellan

your intelligence

Ser

your sense of humour

Bran

your natural kindness

Gabe

your supernatural abilities + all of the above, except just something

shadow 

:ninja:

A team against the other one :ninja: 

5 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

That comes under "supernatural abilities"

Wait till you see me walk and chew gum...

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

sniffer

bell

Castellan

Ser

Bran

Gabe

shadow 

:ninja:

A team against the other one :ninja: 

I think the problem with my prelims was that I was trying to solve the wrong clues. 

5 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I think I will pass on this round :ninja:

why?

we need your supernatural abilities. I am quite determined you shall play despite your regrettable tendency to win.

i have an obscure character for one clue. It is the only clue I am sure of. Far from making things clear it doesn't fit any of the budding themes I had and is so obscure that I can't think of much it has in common with anyone else. Need to try harder I suppose. I have nothing at all for two clues so far and things that I am not very sure of for the others.

I have had the time this week but have been ill enough to merely scowl at the clues and retreat and now I'm (mostly) over the illness I don't have the time or inclination. I will try to answer things tomorrow.

How will my natural kindness help against Les Autres? Shall I offer them a blue winter rose? Tell them how cool they look? Invite them to a "Netflix and chill" night? With beer in the refrigerator?

6 hours ago, a free shadow said:

I think I will pass on this round :ninja:

You will indeed pass...

With flying colours!

Please, remember, that your Round One character will leave you in less than 48 hours (their contract will expire), so use their help while you still can. Luckily, I have managed to recruit a new team of volunteers to support your quest. By now each Round Two character must have sent a raven message to one of you. Surprise your new character with a nice and clever clue.

Your acronyms:

FRAA, AIKBGURC

Your deadline: Tuesday, 14th November, 6 p.m. Central European Time.  

13 hours ago, jezzie_bell said:

I was looking for some breadcrumbs, but it seems our benevolent host is keeping it gluten-free...

:rolleyes:

Actually, I've been away all day long trying to get some breadcrumbs for you all. Here they are.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................

I've decided to give you some hints about the clues and the theme.

Character hints:

(With the exception of one clue, all these clues have been guessed correctly by at least one player. All of them have been guessed incorrectly by at least one player. You can still win the extra points for the first correct set of answers.)

1. Pruned apples underline reliable fetcher.  Search for the right word(s). An interest in ... well, history (if you know what I mean) might also help.

2. With eventide, ravenous serpents plague maiden onshore. Various maidens (maidens?) are being guessed. I understand why, but I think it can help if you try to find a reason for every word in this clue. If any of them seems superfluous, then you probably have the wrong maiden.  

3. Whoopsie: Early royal screwup's pickled melee oinked. A lighthearted reference to a significant moment in the plot. There are some very telling words. 

4. Prophesies army, unwittingly. Requests footwear. This is actually quite literal. Question: Where in Planetos would you most need an army and some footwear?

5. Whiffing evacuations, red-handed skewerer postulated mission objectives. The author explained to me every word in this clue, and it worked for me. The clue may be obscure but the reference is not. (Can you find the right question to ask? If you do, who knows the answer...???)

6. Pasty adolescent ushered ravenous friend. The subject of the clue is the subject of the sentence. Double meanings may occur. 

7. Wielding erroneous red sword pretender marches on. This is a very accurate description of the subject of the clue. Can't you just see the character?

8. Proved an unreliable reptilian follower. This description may fit more characters than one but it fits one character in more ways than one.

I will also let you know that I have given you hints about these characters before: Hints about seven of them (the exception is my clue). Look around and you will find them.

I'll be back later with a theme hint, but I will tell you now that you can have a second preliminary theme guess in this round. (Themes are difficult in the first few rounds in this game, but they will get much easier when you start seeing the super-theme.)

I'll answer the PM's soon.

Theme hints:

1) There are two clues in this round that directly refer to the theme. (There was almost a third one made, which would have been quite interesting.) 

2) The theme involves doing something one can only do alone and doing something one needs a partner for. 

3) Some further characters that could have been included:

Rickon Stark, Maester Aemon, Penny, Jaime Lannister.

Remember that you can have two preliminary theme guesses.

Oh, and one more thing: 

Do you remember that you can magically summon your character to help you? Your character can rescue you once. It means if you do the magical action you were instructed to do in the raven message, your character can either:

1) answer one yes-no question (the question can refer to anything except the super-theme)

OR

2) reveal one random piece of information about the subject of a clue of your choice (in this case you do not ask a question, the information will be chosen by your helping character and can be anything known about the subject of the clue). 

This help is free because your character is a volunteer.

The theme has been guessed. It means it's guessable.

Each clue has been solved by at least one player.

There has been a request for extension, so the new deadline for solving the clues and the theme is now the same as the deadline for making a new clue for Round Two, which is:

Tuesday, November 14th, 6 p.m. Central European Time. 

About two hours and a half until the deadline for solving the puzzle and sending your new clue. (Looking in the direction of one particular player.)

You can also make an attempt to guess the super-theme. There is nothing to lose with a guess that you can change any time, while accidentally guessing it now would bring you extra points. (Please, note that I will not say anything in connection with your super-theme guess, but I will register the fact that it's there.)

:)

Archived