Acrophilia #18 - ... and the winner is ...

Julia H.

2 hours ago, a free shadow said:

When I want to say something bad, I sometimes pretend the author is Ser, it makes it easier to say it :ninja: 

hahahaha that is funny i pretend the hardest clues are yours

:smoking:

35 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I got this right because I asked for a random piece of information about it. I think 'early' refers to his number. 'Early' was always a bit weird as referring to youthful screwup which was how I saw it. It was frustrating because it evoked a few possible events - my first answer was Dontos - unfortunately knowing that was wrong did not rule out that tourney event because I had chosen between Dontos and Joffrey. Then I realised Viserys was drunk when he got himself killed so I thought the fracas he created could be a melee. But I couldn't find that he told anyone about a dream other than telling Dany about his dreams in the sense of daydreams/ambitions. Then I focused on oink and whoopsie and started thinking about Tyrion & Penny jousting and on Tyrion and Joffrey's confrontation over Penny & Grote jousting. However I thought Tyrion wasn't royal enough and there was still a difficulty in that its a lot better clue if the royal screw up is also the person for whom the event oinked so I decided I was clue blind on this and asked for a piece of information.

You can see from my gabby tone that I am enormously excited by getting it right.

i got robert as one of my 2 correct prelims...turns out the other was dolorous edd...but i thought i had arya dead to rights...eventide...serpent boats, plaguing her for oysters clams and cockles...she was onshore...and a maiden, anyway that made me abandon edd and go for lothor brune the apple eater...though what fetching had to do with it kept me skeptical...and since i said thoros in prelims for pretender, i did settle on stannis since i just could not see thoros marching on...and owen the oaf and brown ben were never even on my radar...so since arya was not what the answer was...though it should have been... robert and stannis were my two correct responses... <_<

i did know the theme but abandoned it because of arya...ah well at least i did not embarrass myself further by choosing make water or use privy as single activity while smelling it is a partnership...so to speak...

6 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

hahahaha that is funny i pretend the hardest clues are yours

i got robert as one of my 2 correct prelims...turns out the other was dolorous edd...but i thought i had arya dead to rights...eventide...serpent boats, plaguing her for oysters clams and cockles...she was onshore...and a maiden, anyway that made me abandon edd and go for lothor brune the apple eater...though what fetching had to do with it kept me skeptical...and since i said thoros in prelims for pretender, i did settle on stannis since i just could not see thoros marching on...and owen the oaf and brown ben were never even on my radar...so since arya was not what the answer was...though it should have been... robert and stannis were my two correct responses... <_<

i did know the theme but abandoned it because of arya...ah well at least i did not embarrass myself further by choosing make water or use privy as single activity while smelling it is a partnership...so to speak...

I had Lothor too in prelims and liked it so much it took me to the last minute to find Edd. Lothor is definitely 'reliable' - it is mentioned a few times that he is steady and Petyr relies on him, at that stage I thought the theme might be along the lines of broke people out of jail - and he 'fetched' Sansa. He also did 'fetch' (capture) one Fossoway in the same battle where he killed a lot of other Fossoways.

When I finally got Edd I thought 'fetcher' referred to his job as steward - he is often fetching food etc, I forgot the most famous instance of 'fetching'.

6 minutes ago, Castellan said:

I had Lothor too in prelims and liked it so much it took me to the last minute to find Edd. Lothor is definitely 'reliable' - it is mentioned a few times that he is steady and Petyr relies on him, at that stage I thought the theme might be along the lines of broke people out of jail - and he 'fetched' Sansa. He also did 'fetch' (capture) one Fossoway in the same battle where he killed a lot of other Fossoways.

When I finally got Edd I thought 'fetcher' referred to his job as steward - he is often fetching food etc, I forgot the most famous instance of 'fetching'.

interesting never thought to look for pruned apples or fetching breakfast, cause fetch the block was what made me sure it must be him, and pruned apples were the heads...as in pruned = cut back adam's apples ah well

i agree...that's how i read it and used him in prelim...i had to rethink it because i wanted 1 and 2 to be edd and arya and once i got prelim results and had only 2 right i was straight fucked and second guessed everything but arya... so i dropped edd and went with arya and robert in finals...while along s the one that was bogus...but i maintain she was the perfect answer for that clue

ah well that's the way the rocks fall...

11 hours ago, Castellan said:

Hey me too. I had Lothor based purely on sigil.... three apples eaten to the core, a line, and under that, a paw. So I got pruned apples and fetcher. 

I only had one correct in prelims and I was sure that was it, but i also liked my Tyrion guess. It was the very last moment that I kept Tyrion and sent Lothor packing. 

All the clues were exceptionally hard this round. Well done! :D

I nearly guessed all the authors. Just switched a pair of answers that were correct last minute before sending. I had a specific reason in mind but I realise now there were stronger factors for keeping them as they were. Should have trusted my instinct more.

4 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I nearly guessed all the authors. Just switched a pair of answers that were correct last minute before sending. I had a specific reason in mind but I realise now there were stronger factors for keeping them as they were. Should have trusted my instinct more.

Those of you who can consistently guess the authors always amaze me. While I often feel that if I took time and really researched I could get the clue answers, I don't think I would ever have the proper feel necessary to get the authors.

3 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Those of you who can consistently guess the authors always amaze me. While I often feel that if I took time and really researched I could get the clue answers, I don't think I would ever have the proper feel necessary to get the authors.

I suspect hosting the game helps. You possibly take more onboard about authorial style when you have to thoroughly analyse what each player sends to you.

Say, when are we going to have the Ser-hosted extravaganza you were claiming would happen from early in this game's existence? Did we say yours would be the legend of Game 6?

46 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I suspect hosting the game helps. You possibly take more onboard about authorial style when you have to thoroughly analyse what each player sends to you.

Say, when are we going to have the Ser-hosted extravaganza you were claiming would happen from early in this game's existence? Did we say yours would be the legend of Game 6?

i thought hosting would help me know authors but not so much...and i always think the hardest clue is from Ser or :ninja:
most thoughtful clue is always my Brother Gabe...

that said i made no guesses since i have no fucking clue who wrote what but several of you are on my shit list...

Thank you all for the prompt voting. However, I have had a very busy day, and now it's late at night, so I have to postpone posting the results, I hope I can post them within a day. 

If anyone else would like to guess the authors, you are still welcome to do it.

21 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I believe we said that and then I think that's the game where the host died mid-game. So... I'm glad I'm lazy and pretend that's the same as busy.

Ah yes, poor Rhaena's game (she seriously raised the bar for hosting as well). That was 7 though, because she wanted to theme her game on the Faith of the Seven. I think we saved 6 for you, for whenever you decide to host your epic game.

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

i thought hosting would help me know authors but not so much...and i always think the hardest clue is from Ser or :ninja:
most thoughtful clue is always my Brother Gabe...

that said i made no guesses since i have no fucking clue who wrote what but several of you are on my shit list...

:blush: I think Jez might be capable of stealing that accolade. But I thank you most kindly :cheers:

7 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

:blush: I think Jez might be capable of stealing that accolade. But I thank you most kindly :cheers:

That's very kind and high praise indeed. :)

However, having looked at the clues, not only this round but across all the games.... I cannot agree that I am deserving. :blush:

Still, I'll have a smile on my face all day.  Thank you :cheers:

21 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

here i sit all broken hearted...as i can see round 2 hasn't started...

I know...:blush:  I could hardly wait to get back to you all day today, but I was delayed by such trivialities as teaching the Common Tongue to future Dothraki medicine men and women and checking the progress the green boys and girls of the Citadel are making with their chains.  

But now...

ROUND ONE AUTHORS AND SCORES

1. Dolorous Edd's wonderful sense of humour benefited his namesake, Dolorous Gabe.  

2. Shireen's natural kindness was borrowed by The Other Shadow in this round.

3. Robert Baratheon's incredible charisma crowned the list of personal qualities owned by Ser Not Appearing (who only lacks that strict adherence to deadlines that I mentioned earlier).

4. The Owen clue was made by Julia H.

5. Tyrion Lannister's famous intelligence supported rocksniffer.

6. Jojen Reed's supernatural abilities adorned jezzie_bell this time.

7. Stannis Baratheon with his determination championed Castellan's cause.

8. The adventurous spirit of Brown Ben Plumm was entirely at Raisin' Bran's disposal. 

Name / Score

Guessing points

Theme points

Bonus points

Favourite clue points

Total

Dolorous Gabe

The Other Shadow

Ser Not Appearing

rocksniffer

jezzie_bell

Castellan

Raisin’ Bran

STANDINGS

1. Dolorous Gabe: 31

2. Castellan: 25

3. The Other Shadow: 21

4. jezzie_bell: 19

5. Raisin’ Bran: 13

6. rocksniffer: 8

7. Ser Not Appearing: 3

The winner of the round is Dolorous Gabe, who was first to solve everything, to befriend the gaoler (who turned out to be a nice person and totally able to appreciate a great sense of humour) and to get out of the black cell. Not long after that, Castellan broke free, relying on another perfect set of answers (and a huge amount of determination). The Other Shadow also managed to slip out of the cell, while the gaoler was still talking about his dream, and jezzie_bell recognized the general direction of the exit. The other players eventually bribed the gaoler with their theme points, so their cell doors opened, too.

But which way are you going now?

Find out ... soon!

In the meantime, check your score. 

ROUND TWO

So now you are out of the cell, but still in the dungeon, deep under ground level. Your map or your intuition suggests that the best way to get out of the dungeon unnoticed is a secret spiral staircase that you have accidentally discovered. Up you climb, only to find yourself face to face with a door that looks more like a wall: No door handle, key or lock anywhere. After some brainstorming, you conclude that the door must open with a secret password or magical spell, and the key to that must be the strange runic writing on the door (wall?), which looks like this (transliterated for the sake of convenience here): 

ROUND TWO CLUES

1. Foxy roaster aced alchemy.

2. "Actually, I killed big ghostly undead rather coldly."

3. Avoided inflammable knickers because gargantuan's untrue ratifications corroborated. 

4. Faceted replacement at altar.

5. Ably infiltrated kingdom but goals uncertain - royal connection?

6. Arrested insolent kinsman because girl urged “royal” conclusion.

7. Found rocked after alighting.

8. Ambitiously inspiring King's boy, gratis, until royally coined.

Theme: ???

Your character will be able to help you again (if you do as previously instructed) once. You can either:

- ask a yes-no question regarding anything but the super-theme

or

- send your character on a spying mission.

The latter means you can name a clue and a fellow-player, and your character will go out and find out that player's latest guess for that clue.

Rules:

- Your spy won't be able to tell you if that guess is correct or not. 

- If you happen to ask the guess made by the author of the clue, your spy will bring you the answer disguised as the player's guess. There will be no confirmation that it's the actual answer, your spy simply won't see the difference.

- Your spy may bring you the same guess that you also made or the information that the player hasn't made a guess yet. Your spy's mission will be accomplished in any case. You can't send him / her on another mission.

Deadline: Monday, November 20th, 9 p.m. Central European Time.

Thanks to the one who had the good taste to vote for my clue. And kudos to the other with good taste that voted as I did for the brilliant Shireen clue. And fair play to the one who voted for the Jojen clue, which was also very good.

My author guesses had Castellan and Raisin' Bran the wrong way round. I had them right initially and changed them last minute for an erroneous reason I will keep to myself.

For the record I'm not a great fan of the bonus points system for the one to get everything right first. I feel I can say that at this point because it cannot seem like sour grapes if I got the points. We all will have different times at which we can properly focus on the clues during the  timeframe of the round.

Good round, good theme, great clues. Looking forward to the next.

Archived