Favorite Riverlands Bannermen

UFT

and why?

here is mine

1. house frey. love to hate villains, cool sigil and locale, conniving, sneaky, opportunistic. honestly i would have done exactly what they did during the rebellion ie hedge my bets and wait

2. house mallister. cool blue color scheme, plus theyre bitter rivals with the ironborn and always have to fight them first

3. house darry. dragon loyalists, even now. 

10 hours ago, UFT said:

and why?

here is mine

1. house frey. love to hate villains, cool sigil and locale, conniving, sneaky, opportunistic. honestly i would have done exactly what they did during the rebellion ie hedge my bets and wait

2. house mallister. cool blue color scheme, plus theyre bitter rivals with the ironborn and always have to fight them first

Love House Mallister for the same reasons and also because I like Seagard for some reason. Can't say I share your love for the Freys though, even before their betrayal they were portrayed negatively.

House Blackwood; among the only three Riverlords not to kneel after the Red Wedding, Tytos Blackwood's raven cloak is just awesome, Bloodraven is half Blackwood, the only known Old Gods worshippers in the South and cool historcial members like Bloody Ben Blackwood, Black Aly Blackwood and Red Robb Rivers.

I do also like the Mallisters, mainly because Jason is pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

House Blackwood; among the only three Riverlords not to kneel after the Red Wedding, Tytos Blackwood's raven cloak is just awesome, Bloodraven is half Blackwood, the only known Old Gods worshippers in the South and cool historcial members like Bloody Ben Blackwood, Black Aly Blackwood and Red Robb Rivers.

Agreed, House Blackwood are awesome.

For me I would add Houses Piper & Vance.  After they went to Kings Landing to seek vengeance on the Mountain and his raiders only to be denied by Ned, they followed and helped Beric and his crew anyway.  They are always mentioned in relation to Beric's party as a pain in the Lannister's backside and continue to be major players once the BWB is formed, scheming alongside the brotherhood.  Plus Karyl Vance and Clement Piper were the two river lords who convinced Jaime to......

a] release the prisoners from the Red Wedding, which could lead to a potential ambush/rescue 

b] to attend the Bracken & Blackwood siege with a small retinue, thus ensuring they knew his location and subsequent vulnerability enabling the BWB to find him easily and take him captive.  The Vance maester is also a confirmed BWB informant.  All very sneaky and it worked perfectly.

Furthermore Houses Vance, their castles, and all their family members are a nod to one of GRRM's favourite authors, Jack Vance...........

HOUSE VANCE OF WAYFARER’S REST

Their sigil is Quartered, a black dragon on a white field and two golden eyes in a golden ring on a black field.

The dragons in the sigil refer to one of JV’s works ‘The Dragon Masters’ and the ‘golden eyes’ to his ‘The Eyes of the Overworld’ series. 

The name of the castle, ‘Wayfarer’s Rest’ is another literary nod to Vance’s work, this time the ‘Liane the Wayfarer’ short story.

There is no obvious link to be found around Lord Karyl Vance himself, but he has three daughters that we have yet to meet in the series, they are only mentioned.  Liane, Rhialta and Emphyria.

Liane Vance is a reference to the afore mentioned ‘Liane the Wayfarer’

Rhialta Vance is a nod to the short story by JV, ‘Rhialto the Marvellous’

And Emphyria Vance is an inspiration from Vance’s novel ‘Emphyrio’

Some cool nods, but why not have a secondary house if you have some more!

HOUSE VANCE OF ATRANTA

Their sigil is Quartered, a green dragon on a white field and a white tower on a black field.

Again the ‘dragons’ in the sigil refer to JV’s ‘The Dragon Masters’ and this time the ‘towers’ represent Vance’s novel ‘The Last Castle’.

The name of the castle, ‘Atranta’ is a nod to a land in one of JV’s novels ‘Bad Ronald’ of which they later made a film BTW. 

The blind Lord ‘Norbert’ Vance is again a reference to the novel ‘Bad Ronald’.  Norbert is a main character from this book.  What about his sons? .................

Ser Ronald ‘the bad’ Vance is funny once you realise this is another play on the novel ‘Bad Ronald’.  Ha!  Nice one George.

Ser Hugo Vance's association with Jack Vance is slightly different.  This a nod to JV’s [I think] three Hugo awards, rather than a book/novel itself.  And of course George is no stranger to a Hugo award!  

21 hours ago, UFT said:

and why?

here is mine

Add the Goodbrooks and the Whents, please.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:36 PM, Nowy Tends said:

House Blackwood.

btw I loved the passage in which Jamie goes to Raventree (to settle the Bracken/Blackwood feud) and finally chooses Hoster B. as an hostage…

I agree.  When reading this I thought "Man, Jaime really misses Tyrion."  He may have given Hoster the "You're a ward, I may kill you" talk, but he definitely wants the boy around as a personality similar to Tyrion.  And having an unusually bookish, highborn boy in his retinue may prove to be a benefit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:00 PM, Freys Injustice said:

Darry because they go all in.

Then Blackwood/Bracken. 

Least fav are the Tullys. BC of the Incompetent leadership of the Riverlands. They are strategically placed and have the potential to be one of the strongest....

I love House Darry.  

On 07/11/2017 at 2:00 AM, Freys Injustice said:

Least fav are the Tullys. BC of the Incompetent leadership of the Riverlands. They are strategically placed and have the potential to be one of the strongest....

I don't know that I'd call it incompetent. Not the best, not by a longshot but a lot of the problems with the Tully rule aren't anything to do with the Tully's themselves. The divisions in the Riverlands come from a lack of unity in the past and the fact that of all the house's, Aegon gave the Riverlands to a house that hadn't been anything special previously.

House Blackwood;

I think they are going to have a much bigger role coming up. Tytos Blackwood seems to be a very sensible man, and I do have a very soft spot for characters like Hoster Blackwood. I do still wonder why Lucas wasn't held as hostage instead of being murdered during the Red Wedding. 

I do have a speculation that this ongoing feud between the Blackwoods and the Brackens is one of the reasons Robert's Rebellion started. 

House Mallister;

That's like the very first House that we are introduced to in the prologue of AGOT, through Will. I always thought it was an interesting choice. Jason Mallister also seems to be all kinds of fierce. His uncle is at the Wall and his relative was murdered by Aerys, so that makes things rather interesting.

House Vance;

House Vance helping the BWB on the dl is one of my favorite things. 

House Darry;

Their loyalty is amazing. I have very high hopes for Mariya Darry. 

Archived