What are you listening to Ventiquattro - Dont let Life pass you by.

DireWolfSpirit

On 8/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Triskele said:

Do you guys remember that 90's and Soul Coughing and thinking they sucked?  We might have been wrong. 

Well I listened to this and then Super Bon Bon right after naturally.  Doughty and Everlast should form a theme festival. 

Now I'm listening to Khruangbin.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:04 AM, Triskele said:

If you like Midnight Organ Fight then I strongly recommend two other records by Frightened Rabbit.  It's the two that followed that which are Winter of Mixed Drinks and Pedestrian Verse.  These three records together I think are neck-and-neck-and-neck, and it's hard to put them in order.  

Have yet to get into Pedestrian Verse, but I've been enjoying the hell out of Winter of Mixed Drinks. "Swim Until You Can't See Land" is one of those songs that will just lodge itself in your head and not let go.

I'm singing it to myself right now.

All in all, I cannot stop singing. I cannot start sinking. I swim until it ends.

And if you don't catch that reference, please catch that reference. It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

I loved that one you linked.   I'm so confused on what the band's name is.

"Things" is a great opener. Frightened Rabbit definitely knew some things about sequencing albums.

The song I linked is by a guy named Ted Leo who releases most of his music as Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, which is frequently abbreviated as Ted Leo/Pharmacists (or TL/Rx if you want to save keystrokes). Confusingly enough, sometimes Pharmacists is added to his name even when he's not playing with a full band.

Anyway, Ted is one of my all-time favorite musicians/songwriters. I don't think he's ever released a bad album, but the first three full-band TL/Rx albums are flawless: The Tyranny of Distance (I linked the opening track earlier), Hearts of Oak, and Shake the Sheets.

I’m going to be helping some friends out with 2nd guitar again in a few weeks and for my help I’m going to do a 2 or 3 songs myself (as in do vox as well as guitar) now I just need to pick what to do so we can practice :commie:.

I saw frightened rabbit a few times and they were always a very solid band live. Great voice and lyrics and a damn shame what happened. These covers are a nice tribute and in places highlight how good the lyrics and tunes were when heard performed differently.

Bon iver's album is almost cliche in how good it is. I keep thinking he'll lose it but i think all his side projects keep him sharp and focused on his main work instead of distract him. Seems to have that Radiohead ability of constantly evolving while still being recognisable

19 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I've always loved Coyote 

There's an excellent Coyote segment from the Rolling Thunder Revue movie that just came out a few months ago. Might be the highlight of the film.

Archived