DireWolfSpirit

What are you listening to Ventiquattro - Dont let Life pass you by.

21 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Fender Mustang I set to emulate a Twin Reverb. It's not a particularly great amp, but it sounds good through headphones, which suits me as an apartment dweller. I have the EQD Westwood, a Strymon Flint Reverb + Tremolo, and an EHX Looper 360. It a pretty nice setup.

Nothing wrong with that, they’re good little amps!.

I’m somewhat of a tube purist, I’ve got a Marshall Silver Jubilee and a VOX AC30,  but luckily I’m in a house and can get away with the noise :D.

Posted (edited)

Last week on 'record store day' I bought  a compilationn of the Flamin' Groovies in nice violet vinyl.

The Flamin' Groovies - Slow Death is my favorite song so far.

And a life recording of Hot Tuna at the New Orleans Blues House '69 because I love Jack Casady's gnarly bass.

Also I'm going to order Hop Along's new album Bark Your Head Off, Dog

I've already heard 'Tell Me What The Writer Meant' six or seven times on NPR all songs and it didn't wear down from the original excitement of recognizing Frances Quinlan's voice.  Thanks again to  Mr. X, for bringing them to my attention.

Edited by Lykos
Turns out I dont know how to do this highlighting of a poster thing, so they'll be notified. :(

On 4/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, Lykos said:

Also I'm going to order Hop Along's new album Bark Your Head Off, Dog

I've already heard 'Tell Me What The Writer Meant' six or seven times on NPR all songs and it didn't wear down from the original excitement of recognizing Frances Quinlan's voice.  Thanks again to  Mr. X, for bringing them to my attention.

I don't know how the highlighting thing works either, but hey! Glad you're enjoying them! That's a killer song. "How Simple" might still be my favorite from the album, but it's good all the way through.

If you don't have their previous album Painted Shut, you should totally pick it up. Perhaps slightly less cohesive soundwise than Bark Your Head Off, Dog, but it stretches a bit more, especially in terms of vocals.

Really hoping that Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit is OK.  As of right now his bandmates are reporting him missing which suggests some real concern and his last whereabouts were posting two kind of dark tweets.  Been reported on Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, BBC, Irish Times, Variety, and many other places.  A band that's been around for a while but one I'd only discovered in the lasts few years.  One of my favorite songwriters.  Fingers crossed.

Posted (edited)

New Arctic Monkeys album out today after a five year gap. I wasn't sure about it at first but after a few listens it's really grown on me. The whole thing is a concept album about a washed up musician living out his final days as the house act at a hotel on the moon. Very melancholy lounge music and a whole lot of David Bowie vibes. Batphone is my favorite track at the moment. 

Edited by KiDisaster

I'm listening to a lot of Mars Argo really and the music is really kind of angsty and reminds me of something I'd love as a teenager and yet...I'm really digging it as a woman in my mid 20s as well lol. 

It's all just so catchy and EARNEST...

On 5/10/2018 at 4:51 AM, Triskele said:

Really hoping that Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit is OK.  As of right now his bandmates are reporting him missing which suggests some real concern and his last whereabouts were posting two kind of dark tweets.  Been reported on Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, BBC, Irish Times, Variety, and many other places.  A band that's been around for a while but one I'd only discovered in the lasts few years.  One of my favorite songwriters.  Fingers crossed.

Sadly, I saw on the BBC Scotland news today that his body was found near where he went missing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44079462

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Sadly, I saw on the BBC Scotland news today that his body was found near where he went missing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44079462

Yep, I saw the terrible news this morning US west coast time as I headed off to work.  Listened to FR my whole commute and felt such a mixture of sadness at the loss and joy at how happy I am to have discovered them.  

For anyone with any interest in a deep dive here's a sampling of some of the best of Frightened Rabbit.

The Woodpile

Backyard Skulls

The Modern Leper

Swim Until You Can't See Land

Nothing Like You

Die Like a Rich Boy

Head Rolls Off

There are many others.  

I mentioned in the RIP thread that it appears that he could have committed suicide in a way that had been alluded to in an old song called Floating in the Forth where the singer envisions dying by suicide in the river before triumphantly saying "I think I'll put suicide for another year."  

He did an interview with Vice's Noisy just a week ago about a few topics including plans for a new album.

RIP.

I’m listening to a few bands lately that I never listened to before like 10 years ago when I should have been like Maximo Park 

Thanks to the latest Westworld episode I've been listening to The Rolling Stones' Play With Fire

I also like First Aid Kit's gorgeous cover of it:

Glenn Branca:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/15/glenn-branca-punk-composer-minimalism-maximal-tribute-guitarist-composer