If Oswell, Gerold & Arthur joined Rhaegar at the Battle of the Trident = different outcome?

Frey Kings

Rhaegar lost a fight to Robert.  The royal forces itself did not lose.  The outcome of the battle was determined by that one man fighting another man.  Rhaegar was a fool and he doesn't seem like the kind of leader who will let a bodyguard fight on his behalf.  In other words, where those three men are in the end irrelevant.  It was all a waste.  

18 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Rhaegar lost a fight to Robert.  The royal forces itself did not lose.  The outcome of the battle was determined by that one man fighting another man.  Rhaegar was a fool and he doesn't seem like the kind of leader who will let a bodyguard fight on his behalf.  In other words, where those three men are in the end irrelevant.  It was all a waste.  

Rebels would win anyways, they had a better position and more experienced army.

The battle took place at the crossing of the Trident that would later be known as the ruby ford,[10] as Rhaegar tried to cross the river.[11]Robert Baratheon used his booming voice to command during the fighting.[12]

The Dornishmen, under the command of Prince Lewyn Martell, threatened Robert Baratheon's left flank. Ser Lyn Corbray, picking up his wounded father's sword, Lady Forlorn, led a charge and broke the Dornishmen. During the charge Lyn killed the already-injured Lewyn.[13]

Elsewhere during the battle, Ser Barristan Selmy killed several men,[14] and Lord Jason Mallister slew three of Rhaegar Targaryen's bannermen.[15]

Though many great lords and knights either lost their lives or made names for themselves in the fighting, the battle was decided when Robert and Rhaegar met in single combat on horseback in the stream. Robert eventually crushed Rhaegar's chest with a blow of his warhammer. The blow was so hard that the rubies adorning Rhaegar's armor were shattered free to litter the river, giving the ruby ford its name.[10] Leaderless, the royal army broke and fled[2] back to King's Landing.[16]

Barristan was close to death when he was brought before Robert. Although he was counseled to kill him by Lord Roose Bolton, Robert spared Barristan's life and sent his own maester to tend to his wounds.[14] Lord Wyman Manderly granted the Wolf's Den to Ser Bartimus as a reward for saving his life during the battle.[17] Both sons of Mors "Crowfood" Umber were killed at the Trident,[18] and Lord Grandison died a year later from wounds sustained in the fighting.[19]

So Loyalists are crossing the river and rebels attack them which is advantage for rebels. Even before Rhaegar's death Loyalist lose their right flank. Rhaegar's death only caused rest of the army to rout.

13 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

So Loyalists are crossing the river and rebels attack them which is advantage for rebels. Even before Rhaegar's death Loyalist lose their right flank. Rhaegar's death only caused rest of the army to rout.

That's the thing, if Rhaegar doesn't get killed, the army would not be routed, so we would be looking at a far better outcome for the loyalist, even if they had still lost the battle.

Also, I have no doubt that having 3 more KG looking after him would change the outcome of an eventual combat between Rhaegar and Robert.

1 minute ago, Dood said:

That's the thing, if Rhaegar doesn't get killed, the army would not be routed, so we would be looking at a far better outcome for the loyalist, even if they had still lost the battle.

Also, I have no doubt that having 3 more KG looking after him would change the outcome of an eventual combat between Rhaegar and Robert.

There would only be more causalities on both sides but especially on Loyalist sides so it would be even worse.

I definitely think things would have turned out different and Rhaegar would still be alive. As said in this thread previously, despite all the training he was presumed to have, and his skill at jousting, he was still very green to actual military combat. Had those three been there he wouldve had battle hardened and tested guards to advise him on what he should've did on his maneuvers. Barristan Selmy was only one person, surely their odds would've been better with Rhaegar's guard around him. But I think he ultimately did the right thing by leaving the three to protect his latest heir if he had fell in combat.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:44 PM, Freys Injustice said:

Even the best fighter in the world Selmy suffered critical wounds. I wouldnt think it would made a difference with Dayne in the picture. A difference would've been the Reach's army. 

I think the only way there is a difference in the outcome of the war is if Rhaegar defeats Robert. I don't think the KG being there would have changed Rhaegar's insistence on facing Robert himself.

56 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I think the only way there is a difference in the outcome of the war is if Rhaegar defeats Robert. I don't think the KG being there would have changed Rhaegar's insistence on facing Robert himself.

Rhaegar has to fight Robert other ways everyone would see his as a coward and Rhaegar wanted 1v1 Robert because he believed he can't die so he would order KG to step aside. Plus Robert is best fighter at that time (not because of the skill but strength and weapon choice).

32 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Rhaegar has to fight Robert other ways everyone would see his as a coward and Rhaegar wanted 1v1 Robert because he believed he can't die so he would order KG to step aside. Plus Robert is best fighter at that time (not because of the skill but strength and weapon choice).

Source ?

From what I read, they went into battle, and ended up fighting against each other, Rhaegar managing to seriously injure Robert and Robert killing him, but realistically, I have trouble imagining the two most important commanders fighting against each other in the middle of the battle, without anyone on either side taking the opportunity to tackle and stab the enemy commander.

I don't see it happening, for any low-born soldier, it would be instant-ennoblement to capture / kill Robert.

46 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Yeah, I think Rhaegar still would have insisted on fighting Robert even if the other KG had been there, and I am not entirely sure that Rhaegar couldn't have beat him. It sounds like he wounded him pretty good. But either way, I see Rhaegar fighting Robert.

I don't see how their presence makes a difference.  Yes, they are experienced commanders, and yes, they are excellent fighters.  But there are already a bunch of good commanders on the field, and a bunch of great fighters; three extra swords won't make a difference.  And we have no indication that the royalist forces committed a series of tactical errors, or were unprepared for battle, or had low morale.

At the end of the day it comes down to the fact that Rhaegar fought Robert and lost.  We have no reason to expect this would be any different in a Trident with the rest of the Kingsguard.

The real branch point would be that if they leave, Lyanna probably receives competent medical care instead of dying in prison, and might actually survive childbirth.

Archived