Weinstein/Hollywood Sex Scandal Continues To Produce Headlines

Manhole Eunuchsbane

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Al Gore is on the list of harassers now?

News broke back in 2010 that in 2006 a massage therapist accused him of sexual assault but that the DA found insufficient evidence to press charges. Around that same time, there was news that two other massage therapists accused him of sexual assault in 2007 and 2008; but AFAIK the story just sort of died after that.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/30/al-gore-sexual-harassment-charges-dropped_n_665872.html

The 2006 accusations do sound fishy based on that article, and I think the 2007 and 2008 accusations were only reported by the National Enquirer; not the most reliable source.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I'm not sure he really should be on this list.

Crossposting from elsewhere.

This is a good response from him - but he shouldn't be getting the lion's share of the glory. The women who came forward, on record, to accuse him multiple times, to get shamed and mocked and belittled for their stories by LCK's friends and family and HIMSELF - they're the heroes here. They're the ones that should be commended. LCK was denying these stories mere weeks ago. He was calling them liars mere weeks ago. Nevertheless, they persisted. 

I'm glad he responded this way. It's important. I also need to make sure that we do not lose sight of who really sacrificed and suffered to get this to happen - and it wasn't LCK.

oh my god. it is so brave and responsible of a guy who made a habit of jacking it in front of women who couldn't say no and came out of the experience traumatized to offer up a statement of apology and remorse. 

fucking spare me.  if he wasn't so likeable for his actual work he does we wouldn't be gushing so. 

Just read an interesting Vulture article that juxtaposes some examples of his work versus the reality. The author proposes that Louis CK may have been getting some sort of sick thrill by presenting similar situations in his Louie TV show and in his movies. Kind of like a hiding in plain sight sort of a deal.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/11/louis-ck-is-done.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/Not sure if I buy the premise or not, but it's an interesting take.

5 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

oh my god. it is so brave and responsible of a guy who made a habit of jacking it in front of women who couldn't say no and came out of the experience traumatized to offer up a statement of apology and remorse. 

fucking spare me.  if he wasn't so likeable for his actual work he does we wouldn't be gushing so.

Some of this as well. It was a well written, from the heart statement, but made a tad bit too late.

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If people don't get credit for coming out and admitting it, thus negating any doubt that fuckheads may target victims with, then there is no incentive to do it.  

Agreed, and on top of that, when do people ever preemptively admit that they did something terrible? Most people fight it until the bitter end. What LCK did today in no way absolves him of his disgusting past behaviors, but it is better than nothing.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed, and on top of that, when do people ever preemptively admit that they did something terrible? Most people fight it until the bitter end. What LCK did today in no way absolves him of his disgusting past behaviors, but it is better than nothing.

But...he did fight it until the bitter end. Literally he was fighting this days ago. 

He came clean when the Times reported him on record with multiple people, times, dates and corroborating extemporaneous witnesses. AND his projects started falling through completely. I give him no more credit for this than I give Nixon for admitting to Frost that he thought if a POTUS does it, it's not a crime. 

There are a whole lot of people who admit that they did things wrong fairly early and deal with it. There are a whole lot more that don't whip their dick out and masturbate in front of people. I think it was a good apology, and I think it was a good thing to do, but it's not my place to forgive him; it's his victims and the people that he repressed for years in order to protect himself. 

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

But...he did fight it until the bitter end. Literally he was fighting this days ago. 

He came clean when the Times reported him on record with multiple people, times, dates and corroborating extemporaneous witnesses. AND his projects started falling through completely. I give him no more credit for this than I give Nixon for admitting to Frost that he thought if a POTUS does it, it's not a crime. 

There are a whole lot of people who admit that they did things wrong fairly early and deal with it. There are a whole lot more that don't whip their dick out and masturbate in front of people. I think it was a good apology, and I think it was a good thing to do, but it's not my place to forgive him; it's his victims and the people that he repressed for years in order to protect himself. 

Answering this in reverse, sure there are some examples of people admitting their mistakes early on, but it's a lot less likely when you have a lot to lose. Otherwise I agree with what you said at the end, and I was never trying to say people should forgive him. He hasn't earned that yet, and like you said, we're not the ones who need to forgive him. It's just that his admission of guilt was done in a better way than practically everyone else we've seen since the Weinstein scandal broke. 

As far as fighting to the bitter end, I have to disagree, albeit at the margins. I'm sure that losing all of his projects helped compel him to admit what he did in the way that he did, but he could have also kept denying the accusations and weathered the storm until he could make money off of doing stand up gigs again. He wouldn't be the first person to go that route. 

4 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I didn't know who LCK was before today other than a vague recognition of his name.  But after weeks of reading dicknozzles denying and victim blaming, it's really cathartic to finally have one own up to what they did and to actually understand how it affected his victims.  

58 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If people don't get credit for coming out and admitting it, thus negating any doubt that fuckheads may target victims with, then there is no incentive to do it.  

And also this.  Perhaps this can be a model for perps to not further victimize people by belittling them and calling them liars.  

29 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I have yet to have anyone I really like involved in this yet but I assume its coming at some point.

The rumor I've seen pop up in a few articles is that multiple outlets are currently trying corroborate allegations against a really big name, "nice guy" that "no one would see coming." (I think that's the wording used; "nice guy" definitely was).

If that's the case, there's only a few names that really fit the bill.

Archived