Weinstein/Hollywood Sex Scandal Continues To Produce Headlines

Manhole Eunuchsbane

It’s a good statement as far as these things go but there seems to be some pretty big omissions. No mention of masturbating while on a phone call, no mention of the unnamed victim at the Chris Rock show who wasn’t just someone who admired him but someone who he was the boss of.

The whole thing has the feel of trying to dial back the amount of wrongdoing involved like “yeah, I asked and they willingly stayed but it was still wrong ...”

20 minutes ago, john said:

It’s a good statement as far as these things go but there seems to be some pretty big omissions. No mention of masturbating while on a phone call, no mention of the unnamed victim at the Chris Rock show who wasn’t just someone who admired him but someone who he was the boss of.

The whole thing has the feel of trying to dial back the amount of wrongdoing involved like “yeah, I asked and they willingly stayed but it was still wrong ...”

He does mention the unnamed victim (or at least a victim that doesn't wish to be named), but you're right that he doesn't address the employer/employee bit.

Honestly though, all of these women were really on the short end of that dynamic, even if they weren't working on a show with him. His agent is really influential in the stand-up world, and so is he. Many of them relate instances where they were given the cold shoulder by industry related people when they tried to tell their stories. 

My initial reaction to Louis CK's apology was that it was self serving and that he only did it in an attempt to preserve his career.  That he's been denying the accusations recently in public supports this view.  It was more well written than Weinstein's and Spacey's "apologies", but was it any more genuine?  Or just another piece of fiction?  However, after reading the NYTimes article that broke the story, I do think that there is some level of genuine remorse.  Apparently, over the last several years, he's apologized directly to at least a couple of the women.  That means more to me than his public apology.  It doesn't erase what he's done though.

It was a good apology, but still bullshit.  He could have paid a professional to get his outlet.  I have NEVER in my life thought about masturbating in front of colleague or ANYONE who didn't think it would be a great idea.  I MASTURBATE A LOT.  It's really not that hard to do it in an appropriate setting.   Dunno if anyone posted Sam Bee's PSA, but it's spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=BeWpX-ypSls

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I didn't know who LCK was before today other than a vague recognition of his name.  But after weeks of reading dicknozzles denying and victim blaming, it's really cathartic to finally have one own up to what they did and to actually understand how it affected his victims.  

And also this.  Perhaps this can be a model for perps to not further victimize people by belittling them and calling them liars.  

sorry, no. he or his people wrote a nice statement. yes, it was more responsible and took more ownership than anyone else in the same overwhelming depressive pile of shit has done so far. but, it is meaningless bullshit.

I don’t have a particular affinity towards Louie CK, but what is he supposed to do?  Crawl in a hole and die?  He still has to move forward with his life, whatever form that may take.  

An apology does not = forgiveness or absolution, but I do think he deserves a little credit here because that is not the typical MO.  

Takes balls to do that, even if it’s semi-self serving, takes balls to get out there and say I was wrong and I fucked up.  I can give him that at least.  

I think C.K.'s apology seemed entirely more sincere than any of the other half-assed apologies and running away for "sex addiction" therapy. Knowing that he apparently apologized to at least some of these women at least a couple of years before any of this broke lends credence to him realizing that he really did do something wrong and that what he did wasn't okay. 

Now all we can really do is wait and see if he makes good on the last sentence in his apology. 

I also agree that forever ostracizing someone who actually owns up to what they've done will end up being counterproductive in the long run. He shouldn't get a free pass going forward by any means, but if he really works toward turning around the culture of which he helped perpetuate in the past, then I think that we should allow him to be rehabilitated into society.

5 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

sorry, no. he or his people wrote a nice statement. yes, it was more responsible and took more ownership than anyone else in the same overwhelming depressive pile of shit has done so far. but, it is meaningless bullshit.

Seen it pointed out that he never actually apologises. He also takes a lot of care to advertise every single one of his current projects, which could be innocent but feels kinda cynical...

Where are people getting that he apologised to the women some time ago? From them?

Anyway, I'd disagree that it's meaningless because despite my complaints about it it does show he understands what repentance should look like, but we definitely shouldn't be rushing to absolve him either. All it does is put him at step zero- he still has to prove he's sincere. So unlike Spacey and Weinstein I don't think his career should be slung out but neither should it just carry on like before. He has work to do.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Seen it pointed out that he never actually apologises. He also takes a lot of care to advertise every single one of his current projects, which could be innocent but feels kinda cynical...

Where are people getting that he apologised to the women some time ago? From them?

Anyway, I'd disagree that it's meaningless because despite my complaints about it it does show he understands what repentance should look like, but we definitely shouldn't be rushing to absolve him either. All it does is put him at step zero- he still has to prove he's sincere. So unlike Spacey and Weinstein I don't think his career should be slung out but neither should it just carry on like before. He has work to do.

From the original article posted upthread:

In private, though, he appears to have acknowledged his behavior.

In 2009, six years after their phone call, Ms. Schachner received a Facebook message from Louis C.K., apologizing. “Last time I talked to you ended in a sordid fashion,” he wrote in the message, which was reviewed by The Times. “That was a bad time in my life and I’m sorry.” He added that he had seen some of Ms. Schachner’s comedy and thought she was funny. “I remember thinking what a repulsive person I was being by responding the way that I did,” he wrote.

Ms. Corry also received an email from Louis C.K., which was obtained by The Times, saying he owed her a “very very very late apology.” When he phoned her, he said he was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom. Ms. Corry replied that he had never done that, but had instead asked to masturbate in front of her. Responding in a shaky voice, he acknowledged it and said, “I used to misread people back then,” she recalled.

Its stuff like that which makes me believe that he is truly sorry for his actions, and that he is ashamed of it. I think we should all accept his apology and let him move on and work to make things right. I haven't seen much which leads me to believe he is a cruel or vindictive person or that he was trying to destroy anyone who rejected him in the way that Weinstein did. Sure he didn't immediately own up to the accusations, but you know, we are all human and most people wouldn't. 

Fair enough. And no, he's definitely not as bad a person as Weinstein, but there was definitely an element of people not being able to speak about it in public for fear of damage to the careers, whether it was him directly or the people around him that stopped them. And he definitely tried to publicly shut down Tig Notaro for talking about it, a month ago. 'Not as bad as Weinstein' is a very, very low bar.

My question there though is did he do it again after the apologies he sent to those two women. I hope not and it is something he stopped on his own and not just coz he's got caught now.

8 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

It was a good apology, but still bullshit.  He could have paid a professional to get his outlet.  I have NEVER in my life thought about masturbating in front of colleague or ANYONE who didn't think it would be a great idea.  I MASTURBATE A LOT.  It's really not that hard to do it in an appropriate setting.   Dunno if anyone posted Sam Bee's PSA, but it's spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=BeWpX-ypSls

Ha, you're my new favourite person on this board, not for writing that, but for capitalising it...

I can't think of any circumstance where it would be reasonable to even ask someone you aren't involved with at work. Some people do like having sex at work. But the number of women who would actually want to watch a dude wank in his office chair? Must be so small than it seems unreasonable to assume anyone would want to. What reaction does he want? Them to join in, to applaud him, to belittle him? I can't help but feel he enjoyed their discomfort, like a flasher.

The funny thing is, a lot of these people mention "mental health" or "sex addiction", and I think it's a bullshit excuse. CKs actions actually do make him sound like he has some kind of sexual disfunction, especially as this is the only bad behaviour we've heard of him doing- but he doesn't seem to be claiming that.

1 minute ago, mankytoes said:

Ha, you're my new favourite person on this board, not for writing that, but for capitalising it...

I can't think of any circumstance where it would be reasonable to even ask someone you aren't involved with at work. Some people do like having sex at work. But the number of women who would actually want to watch a dude wank in his office chair? Must be so small than it seems unreasonable to assume anyone would want to. What reaction does he want? Them to join in, to applaud him, to belittle him? I can't help but feel he enjoyed their discomfort, like a flasher.

The funny thing is, a lot of these people mention "mental health" or "sex addiction", and I think it's a bullshit excuse. CKs actions actually do make him sound like he has some kind of sexual disfunction, especially as this is the only bad behaviour we've heard of him doing- but he doesn't seem to be claiming that.

There is clearly something disfunctional about this. Its a very curious thing to do, and I'm sure there is something about the humiliation that gets him off, in a way that guys who go to dominatrix's tend to get off on being humiliated ( I think actually it is quite a common theme in a lot of sexuality, for both sexes ). You get the sense that he really doesn't find himself attractive, and finds it almost perverse that a woman would want to have sex with him, I've seen him mention that many times in his comedy. 

I dunno, its very complex. Everyone's sexuality is complex. 

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

From some of them, yeah. I think Jen Kirkman, Abby Schachner and Rebecca Corry have all said that he apologized to them either on the phone or in person prior to the NYT article coming out. 

Corry was not happy with his apology though, as he seemed to confuse whatever he tried with her with another incident. 

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/9/16629400/louis-ck-allegations-masturbation

From the article: There were a couple of times when C.K. allegedly reached out to the women involved, seemingly contrite. Both Schachner and Corry told the Times C.K. had tried to apologize, chalking the incidents up to “a bad time in his life.” But Corry bristled when his apology to her in 2015 seemed to mix up her incident with another — “When he phoned her, he said was sorry for shoving her in a bathroom” — and explained that he “used to misread people.” This, Corry felt, “implied she had done something to invite his behavior.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Haven't seen that break on any news sites yet...do you guys subscribe to some sort of sex assault text alerts?

Yeah, this topic just keeps gaining steam. As terrible as it is in some ways, I think it's high time all this crap came to light. Honestly, I hope it continues to roll, at least up until the Alabama Senate election takes place. Keeps the child molester Moore on the hotseat. 

Archived