Of all the Targaryen names...

Angel Eyes

I think it’s likely a show-only decision as Aegon is an established Targaryen name and there hasn’t been a character called Aegon appear in the show. It could also be a hint that his arc is somewhat combined with Book Aegon? But I’m not sure how likely this is.

Personally I think Jon being called Aemon is the biggest possibility. Those who think he would’ve been a Viserys because Rhaegar was going for a Rhaenys/Aegon/Visenya vibe with his children fail to remember that Visenya was the elder sister, not Rhaenys. Additionally, we see numerous examples of Aegons having Aemon younger brothers; the first two sons of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne; the first two sons of King Viserys I and Queen Alicent; the two sons of King Viserys II and Lady Larra; the third and fourth sons of King Maekar I and Lady Dyanna. I certainly think this is hinting something, and would make Jon’s thought of, “I’m not Aemon Targaryen” deliciously ironic. 

• 4 weeks later...

The most commonly used Targaryan name is Aegon, it kinda gives Jon more prominence to be named so. It might also be that Rhaeger thought that his child with Lyanna is TPTWP instead of Elia's, like what he had previously thought, so he had to name him with the same name.

They also mentioned "Doran Martell's youngest son" in season 2, and see how that turned out... and this wouldn't have been difficult to accomplish either. And they had Varys act against Daenerys in the early seasons... And early official Tyrell family trees showed Willas and Garlan. So them expecting everyone to forget about Baby Aegon is not unthinkable.
I can see it partially due to them having cut Faegon. Similarly to how they called Hodor "Willas" and Ramsays top bitch "Myranda".

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, SecretWeapon said:

There is always a chance of Aegon the old and Aegon the young. Viserys kinda runs into the same problem as Aegon to a lesser degree.

Guess they didn’t think about that, did they?

On 14/4/2018 at 1:56 AM, Orphalesion said:

They also mentioned "Doran Martell's youngest son" in season 2, and see how that turned out... and this wouldn't have been difficult to accomplish either. And they had Varys act against Daenerys in the early seasons... And early official Tyrell family trees showed Willas and Garlan. So them expecting everyone to forget about Baby Aegon is not unthinkable.
I can see it partially due to them having cut Faegon. Similarly to how they called Hodor "Willas" and Ramsays top bitch "Myranda".

Hodor was Wyllis. You're right about Myranda tho

• 2 months later...

I agree that it is kind of a weird choice. If I were to make an assumption I would say that it was Lyanna that chose to name him Aegon, not Rhaegar. The Kingsguard would have told her about the deaths of Rhaegar, Elia, Aegon, and Rhaenys, so Lyanna could have either named him Aegon in honor of Elia's son, or because she knew how big into prophecies Rhaegar was. 

I doubt he will be called Aegon in the books. 

• 2 weeks later...

Season 7 disappointed me in so many ways, but Jon's name reveal was one of the most disappointing. Aegon? Really? Rhaegar, you have a son named Aegon, and Lyanna, why didn't you name him something that isn't the single most Targaryen name out there. I personally think that in the books his real name is Aemon or Jaehaerys. If he was named Aemon that would be really cool because Aemon was his mentor at the Wall.

16 hours ago, Vhagar's Ghost said:

Season 7 disappointed me in so many ways, but Jon's name reveal was one of the most disappointing. Aegon? Really? Rhaegar, you have a son named Aegon, and Lyanna, why didn't you name him something that isn't the single most Targaryen name out there. I personally think that in the books his real name is Aemon or Jaehaerys. If he was named Aemon that would be really cool because Aemon was his mentor at the Wall.

Plus, Rhaegar was in correspondence with Aemon. I've even drawn hope for Viserys, since Rhaegar seemed to be styling his children's names after Aegon and his two sisters Visenya and Rhaenys. Viserys is the masculine form of Visenya and Viserys II was one of the best Hands of the King to his depressive brother and extravagant nephews. People like Tyrion believe that if Viserys II hadn't died a year into his reign, he could have been one of the best kings in Westeros history.

• 2 weeks later...

My thought is its Aegon in the books. 

Aegon really makes the most sense as the name. 

Jon is born after the Trident and the Sack of KL. 

From what Lyanna knows:

Her beloved Rhaegar is dead. Ellia's Aegon is dead. Aerys is dead. The entire Targaryen family has been wiped out and her son is the last Targaryen. She probably does not know that somehow Daenerys and Viserys were smuggled out of Dragonstone, and even if she did she can't think they are long for this world. 

If your son is the last Targaryen and represents the hopes of this great dynasty..... what name are you going to give him? 

I think you would name him Aegon. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:54 AM, Angel Eyes said:

Why name Jon "Aegon"? 

First of all, Rhaegar already has a son named Aegon, and having this boy named Aegon makes Rhaegar look like an even bigger jerk because this means that the elder Aegon, son of Elia, is being replaced.

Second: There are other options. For example:

• Viserys: Rhaegar wanted three children "The dragon must have three heads", and his two children seemed to have a theme: Rhaenys and Aegon, two of the three conquerers of Westeros. Presumably, Rhaegar needs a "Visenya". Since the child with Lyanna was born a boy, you use Viserys. 
  • Jaehaerys: Jaehaerys I was the greatest King of Westeros.
  • Aemon: Aemon the Dragonknight was the greatest knight of his time, while Rhaegar's great-great uncle (is that the right terminology?) was Maester Aemon, with whom he corresponded frequently.

If Lyanna gave birth to Jon after Rhaegar and his other children had already been killed, it would make more sense that she named him Aegon.

If Rhaegar had wanted to name his children after Aegon I and his sisters, when his eldest child was born a daughter, he should have named her Visenya. Yet he named her Rhaenys, indicating he wasn't too concerned about having a child named after Visenya. Besides, he already had a brother named Viserys.

Jaehaerys and Aemon are good names, and I still think it is possible one of them ends up being Jon's birth name in the books.

• 4 weeks later...

Aegon makes sense for multiple reasons:

1. He's Aegon the SEVENTH. Seven Aegons. A symbolic number to end the Targaryen line on.

2. It sets up a foil with Aegon the Sixth, who is most likely a Blackfyre or Illyrio's bastard. My hunch is that GRRM is setting up an ironic twist where Aegon VI is willing and ready to marry Dany and give her a Targaryen restoration, but she burns him because of the prophecy. Meanwhile, Aegon VII who is officially a Targaryen, refuses to marry her and destroys her hope of a Targaryen restoration. In other words, she could have had what she wanted with VI, she gets stuck with VII who won't be so easily dealt with this time. She bases her decisions on prophecy, and screws herself.

3. Likewise, Aegon VI is a red herring for the second Dance with Dragons, which will happen with Aegon VII. He needs to be Aegon to fit those Dance parallels. 

4. If Rhaegar was intent on creating a prophecy child and he believed that the child was Aegon the Conqueror come again, he would name all of his male heirs Aegon just to increase the chances of it happening. Jon could be a product of Targaryen paranoia and obsession, and has a name to represent that. 

I think he'll just stick with Jon.

Archived