Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

BLACK EARTH RISING - John Goodman BBC Thriller

John Goodman and Michaela Coel star in BAFTA-winner Hugo Blick’s thriller Black Earth Rising for BBC Two and BBC iPlayer.

Black Earth Rising is a new international thriller about the prosecution of international war crimes and the West’s relationship with contemporary Africa written, directed and produced by BAFTA-winner Hugo Blick (The Honourable Woman, The Shadow Line).

23 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

It's great to hear blick has a new show out. I knew it was in the works but further along than I thought. Loved both his previous shows, shadow line was masterful. John Goodman too. This will be watched live!

On 8/13/2018 at 11:00 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

This does look good in that slick and solid manner of international prestige criminality.

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

THE ROMANOFFS Teaser #2

It's an intriguing concept even if I'd have preferred it being about pre existing romanoffs. I guess it being by the mad men creator and involving many of that show's cast means it's worth checking out.

50 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

That's disappointing, I was hoping for the actual tsarist dynasty, not something modern.

I'm wondering if this common response might result in someone making the show many of us would like to see.

Dogs of Berlin | Netflix

Two contrasting police detectives are forced into a territorial battle with the Berlin underworld. Dogs of Berlin premieres December 7th, only on Netflix.Dogs of Berlin is an upcoming web television series and the second German series produced for Netflix after Dark.

In the series, Fahri Yardim and Felix Kramer play the two policemen Erol Birkan and Kurt Grimmer, who must clear up the murder of the fictional German-Turkish football international Orkan Erdem. The act puts Berlin in a state of excitement: are neo-Nazis from Marzahn stuck behind it? The Turkish family clan of the football superstar? Football fans? The Berlin Mafia? Or does the chain of evidence even lead to the highest office of the capital? The two policemen determine from then on in the Berlin underworld.

19 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Dogs of Berlin | Netflix

Seems a bit on the nose with the German football player of Turkish descent. Good time to release it with current events in forner East Germany. I've also heard there's a lot of police corruption (fascists/neo Nazis) and organised crime to give this a lot of potential. Might be like a sequel to Babylon Berlin?

On 8/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, Mexal said:

Didn't think there was room for a sequel but I guess the format makes it relatively easy. It was one of the surprise shows of last year for me and found it a lot funnier than I expected it to be, particularly as I've never watched any of the documentaries it mocks.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, red snow said:

It's an intriguing concept even if I'd have preferred it being about pre existing romanoffs. I guess it being by the mad men creator and involving many of that show's cast means it's worth checking out.

Totally on board for it based on the trailer and the cast and crew involved. This looks like it'll be great fun.

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Only just watched the HBO coming soon trailer so have only just learned that Meryl Stereo is in Big Little Lies S2. Even more excited now, though I think that might be a 2019 release

@Theda BaratheonBaratheon, since I know you enjoyed it too and may not have seen

I’m sooooooo excited about this 

MY BRILLIANT FRIEND - HBO Drama Series

My Brilliant Friend, a new original series directed by Saverio Costanzo and based on the global best-selling novel by Elena Ferrante, the first book of the Neapolitan Quartet.A 32-episode adaptation of the novels is underway, a co-production from Italian and American producers, with the first season coming to HBO in November.

Some upcoming UK releases for September:

BBC One confirms transmission date for Killing Eve: Saturday 15th September, 9.15pm, BBC One.Following the broadcast of the series premiere on BBC One, all 8 episodes will be made available to stream on BBC Three (via BBC iPlayer). The series will also continue to air in its Saturday slot on BBC One.

J.K. Simmons Thriller ‘Counterpart’ is coming to the UK. StarzPlay – which is available exclusively in the UK on Amazon Prime via Amazon Channels – has acquired Counterpart from international distributor Sony Pictures Television. The show's first season will be available to stream for StarzPlay subscribers from Friday September 28th.

FX's John Paul Getty III abduction drama series Trust will receive its UK premiere on BBC Two on Wednesday September 12th at 9pm.

Some interesting non-English tv shows:

Spanish period drama The Plague (La peste) will receive its UK premiere on BBC Four on Saturday September 1st at 9pm with a double-bill, it has been announced.

The Plague is a historical thriller set during the time that the Black Death descended on 16th century Seville, one of the richest and most significant cities in the world. It is the doorway to Europe for gold rich migrants from the New World, and it is a city cloaked in Catholic piety. Pursuit of power is fuelled by fear and greed, and hypocrisy abounds. Convents are lax, brothels are regulated and hospitals are used as graveyards. Mysticism and chaos rule. Mateo, a former heretic, must now return to the city that sentenced him to death.

He must honour the dying wish of his best friend: to save Valerio, his friend’s bastard son. On arrival in Seville, Mateo is arrested, but the Holy Office offers Mateo a proposal for absolution: solve the murders in the city which all seem to be part of a demonic ritual and he will be pardoned.

MISS SHERLOCK (HD) Japanese HBO Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0FIUz5OpT4

Sherlock Holmes re-imagined. Follow Miss Sherlock (Yuko Takeuchi) and Dr. Wato Tachibana (Shihori Kanjiya) as they solve peculiar, perplexing crimes in modern day Tokyo. Streaming now on HBO.

I'm still pissed at Amazon's starzplay. Why should I pay an additional £4 (and inevitably rising) for their additional programs? Starz account for a lot of "Amazon's" shows and it's starting to look like any existing non-amazon originals are winding up there. So it's effectively increasing the subscription by 40% or reducing the quality of its prime library. The only positive is that it gives the customer a choice. It's a shitty move and given they are doing this with various movie subscription channels too suggests Amazon intends to become a cable provider unto itself charging multiple channels at extra cost. Until they con is with Amazon alpha (or some other stupid name) and say for £20 a month you can get all your channels in one great bundle package. Screw that, that's what Amazon prime was supposed to be.

They are lucky the Disney streaming channel hasn't launched as I'm currently paying for 3 streaming networks and that's my limit. Amazon would be the one I'd be ditching out of Netflix and nowtv (now TV is at least cheap with code deals for their content). Netflix still has more content than prime and for now their whole approach is "one account equals access to all our content". 

Ballad of Buster Scruggs series by the Coen Brothers comes out Nov 16th. Cool.

Also interested in the Dragon Prince animated series that releases tomorrow on Netflix, by the Last Airbender producers/writers apparently.

On 7/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

MANIAC Teaser Trailer - Emma Stone, Jonah Hill Limited Series Netflix

A Netflix Limited Series from Cary Fukunaga premieres September 21.

This showed up in my emails today as a "coming soon." Somehow ignored the trailer till now but looks very good, can't wait! I rather like Emma Stone and Jonah Hill too so that's all to the good. 

Archived