Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

13 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

THE PASSAGE Preview: The Most Important Girl In The World

HOMECOMING Official Trailer #2 (HD) Julia Roberts Series

The trailer for "the passage" was much closer to the book than I was expecting. I think "the strain" messes with my expectations due to the fox connection. Wolghast looks younger and less haunted than I imagined in the book and he was probably my favourite character. The kid playing Amy seems strong even from these clips which is a positive as it's a key role. I wonder if the show will keep the format of the book? Because that is going to be a mindfuck for season 2 (I'm thinking they only adapt first half of the book in season 1). Although I thought for TV they'd

split the narrative between present and future. The change was a shock in the book and it's one that could be disastrous for a TV show

• 2 weeks later...

@williamjm  Possible reboot of The 4400, with much more teenage angst given the bolded bit:

Over the course of recent history, 4,400 young adults in their reproductive prime have gone missing all over the world — some disappearances happened as recently as a few weeks ago, while others date as far back as the infamous day the Soviets launched the Sputnik satellite in 1957. One day in 2019, all 4,400 show up at the sites of their original abductions. None of them have aged a day; none have any memory of where they’ve been. The so called “4400” must grapple with their return to a changed and hostile world… and also contend with the reality that they’ve come back altered in ways that none of them yet understand.

This part does give me some hope:

The new 4400 is being co-written by Craig Sweeny (Elementary) and Taylor Elmore (Justified), who previously worked together on the short-lived CBS procedural Limitless. Sweeny, meanwhile, served as a writer on the original 4400 before making his way up to supervising producer.

Limitless was a very fun show.

8 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

@williamjm  Possible reboot of The 4400, with much more teenage angst given the bolded bit:

This part does give me some hope:

Limitless was a very fun show.

I'm either getting very old or I'm right in thinking it's not that long since 4400 was on TV screens?

Also why on earth does "who are in their reproductive prime" need to be used as a description? It's maybe because I'm reading Bakker at the moment but to me it sends nasty ideas as to why they have been taken. That or its going to be a sci-fi "love island".

But the original was a fun concept and besides the final season improved year on year. Based on the creators backgrounds it seems likely it will emulate the first season with FBI pairing capturing/subduing 4400s causing trouble with their powers. Which was the least interesting take on the show.

I guess the reboot is because superheroes are now a big thing while the original show aired prior to the MCU becoming a juggernaut

20 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I saw I had a notification from this thread, but it definitely wasn't this. I'm sure I'll watch it if they make it, but I'm nervous about the idea and other than the original series not getting a proper conclusion I can't see much need to remake it. If they did keep the original set of characters (and the synopsis suggests they're maybe not doing that) then I'd feel sorry for whichever actor has to step into Mahershala Ali's shoes. At least the writers seem to have been involved in other shows I like, although they still might not be a replacement for the old DS9 crew on the original show. 

Does this mean that the same network would have both The 100 and The 4400? I imagine some people could get confused by that.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm either getting very old or I'm right in thinking it's not that long since 4400 was on TV screens?

They seem to think that 10 years is long enough to wait. I suppose we've had not one but two Spiderman reboots in the same time frame, but it does still feel a bit soon.

I'm intrigued by the upcoming Netflix series 1983.  Reminds me of Counterpart, which is a very good thing.

Also looking forward to Mars s2 on Nat Geo. Season 1 was very interesting.

I just caught the trailer for My Brilliant Friend during the season finale of The Deuce and will check that out too.

Of course, I'll, be watching s5 of The Vikings. As sharply as it has plummeted in quality, I still watch it. Can't wait to gripe about it in the forum thread :) 

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Coen brothers' The Ballad of Buster Scruggs next week Friday. I realize it's now a film instead of a series, which is slightly disappointing, but damn does it look like fun.

52 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Also looking forward to Mars s2 on Nat Geo. Season 1 was very interesting.

I'm annoyed that I can't find ways to watch season 1 other than buying it on Amazon. I have NatGeo thru hulu live, but for some reason, they don't have season 1 available. How good was it? Season 1 is only $10 on Amazon, so maybe I'll buy it.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Also why on earth does "who are in their reproductive prime" need to be used as a description? It's maybe because I'm reading Bakker at the moment but to me it sends nasty ideas as to why they have been taken. That or its going to be a sci-fi "love island".

But the original was a fun concept and besides the final season improved year on year. Based on the creators backgrounds it seems likely it will emulate the first season with FBI pairing capturing/subduing 4400s causing trouble with their powers. Which was the least interesting take on the show.

I guess the reboot is because superheroes are now a big thing while the original show aired prior to the MCU becoming a juggernaut

I really enjoyed the original, as there was nothing like it on tv at the time.  Other than maybe Lost.  It definitely was riding that mystery train that lost started, but nothing else with a superpowers vibe.  Seems crazy to type that now with the way that genre took over.  2004(-2007) was longer ago than it feels.  

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I saw I had a notification from this thread, but it definitely wasn't this. I'm sure I'll watch it if they make it, but I'm nervous about the idea and other than the original series not getting a proper conclusion I can't see much need to remake it. If they did keep the original set of characters (and the synopsis suggests they're maybe not doing that) then I'd feel sorry for whichever actor has to step into Mahershala Ali's shoes. At least the writers seem to have been involved in other shows I like, although they still might not be a replacement for the old DS9 crew on the original show. 

Does this mean that the same network would have both The 100 and The 4400? I imagine some people could get confused by that.

They seem to think that 10 years is long enough to wait. I suppose we've had not one but two Spiderman reboots in the same time frame, but it does still feel a bit soon.

I think the "reproductive prime" means that they'll be changing it up quite a bit.  I certainly don't want a retread of the original.  But I am worried about "reproductive prime" and CWishness.  

There is definitely a lot of potential here though, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm annoyed that I can't find ways to watch season 1 other than buying it on Amazon. I have NatGeo thru hulu live, but for some reason, they don't have season 1 available. How good was it? Season 1 is only $10 on Amazon, so maybe I'll buy it.

I found it very interesting with the interviews of scientific experts and  . . . er . . . Elon Musk? The fictitious colonization of Mars was both harrowing and uplifting. Think The Martian without the narrator's gallows humor. An entertaining and educational series. I personally hate when content is hidden like that, but the series is well worth the $10. However, I would wait until after s2's premiere to see if s1 isn't then offered for free.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I really enjoyed the original, as there was nothing like it on tv at the time.  Other than maybe Lost.  It definitely was riding that mystery train that lost started, but nothing else with a superpowers vibe.  Seems crazy to type that now with the way that genre took over.  2004(-2007) was longer ago than it feels.  

I think the "reproductive prime" means that they'll be changing it up quite a bit.  I certainly don't want a retread of the original.  But I am worried about "reproductive prime" and CWishness.  

There is definitely a lot of potential here though, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

I guess reproductive prime is the casting call for all CW shows? I didn't realise they were making it - I'm even less interested now. the CW at best makes mindlessly (RE usually stupid) entertaining junk TV. You think they'd be content with the arrowverse. maybe some exec is thinking Arrowverse x the 100 = 4400?

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm intrigued by the upcoming Netflix series 1983.  Reminds me of Counterpart, which is a very good thing.

Nice to see a Polish language series shot in Poland (i see Warsaw and Krakow in the trailer) getting some international recognition. Hope its good!

53 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

New Attenborough this Sunday on BBC. 5 parter with each episode devoted to one animal. First episode is chimps. 

Thanks for the heads up. I'd have missed it otherwise. I wonder if this is just one of the ones he narrates Vs ones he's more heavily involved and in? Either way these shows are usually good and can't complain with him narrating.

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I did like that unlike most of the Big Mystery shows that came out in that time period that it did give a lot of answers as it went along, every season finale did resolve major storylines. I think Fringe is perhaps the only other shows that managed to do something similar.

I am so watching this! :D

Kingdom | Teaser | Netflix

Set in Korea’s medieval Joseon period, it tells the story of a crown prince who is sent on a suicide mission to investigate a mysterious plague that’s spreading across his country. The truth threatens the kingdom, when he discovers that it is an atrocious epidemic in the form of zombies.

Diablero | Official Trailer | Netflix

Dogs of Berlin | Official Trailer | Netflix

On 11/9/2018 at 8:37 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I am so watching this! :D

Kingdom | Teaser | Netflix

Diablero | Official Trailer | Netflix

Dogs of Berlin | Official Trailer | Netflix

These all look good. One of the great things about Netflix is how they've opened up the world to worldwide entertainment. Not just by making it easy to access but by promoting the shows too. 

After playing undead redemption with cowboys and zombies I'm surprised there aren't more historical zombie stories around. Kingdom looks like a good addition.

The dogs of Berlin is well timed with Turkish organised crime constantly being in Berlin news along with Berlin political corruption and controversies over German football players meeting with erdogan. This looks like a timely mash up and as long as it is even handed and not too "good Vs bad" could be a good show.

On 11/9/2018 at 2:18 PM, john said:

This new Polish Netflix show, from Agnieszka Holland no less, looks cool af.

Sort of Man in High Castle meets the Americans, with subtitles.

It's sort of ridiculous how I initially thought "it's in polish" when I'm watching all these other shows with subtitles (although I can barely grasp German ones). 

I'm struggling with man in high castle and the "what if ww2 went differently" genre lately (there was a BBC one that I only managed one episode of). But I do like the 80s setting particularly with a spy/cold war backdrop.

Looks like I need to add some more reminders on Netflix

Archived