Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

And if last year is an indicator even longer until it’s on Netflix. I just hope it is actually 2018 and not 2019 before the U.K. get it!

Did y'all actually get it on Netflix over there?  They have released season one on Amazon Prime, but nothing beyond that.  It's like no one involved with the show really cares if it succeeds.  Everyone I recommended the show to is uninterested because there is no way to catch up before the new season starts.  

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Did y'all actually get it on Netflix over there?  They have released season one on Amazon Prime, but nothing beyond that.  It's like no one involved with the show really cares if it succeeds.  Everyone I recommended the show to is uninterested because there is no way to catch up before the new season starts.  

Yes we did. I think it was sometime around September? The exact date escapes me. But Netflix is the only platform to watch it over here (barring VPNs and other such methods) so you are still ahead of us

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Antony Starr --Lucas Hood from Banshee-- has been cast as The Homelander in the upcoming Amazon Series, The Boys... based on Garth Ennis' Graphic Novel series.... fuck yes.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-boys-chace-crawford-antony-starr-dominique-mcelligott-jessie-usher-cast-amazon-superhero-drama-series-1202244980/

Nice. I haven’t read The Boys, but I love most of Ennis’ stuff, and Banshee. Will have to check this out. 

On 1/19/2018 at 11:20 PM, Nictarion said:

Nice. I haven’t read The Boys, but I love most of Ennis’ stuff, and Banshee. Will have to check this out. 

The thing I'm most curious about, is the character Wee Hughie is based on --and drawn as-- Simon Pegg (who wrote the foreword to the book series).... so whomever they cast to play that role will essentially be playing Simon Pegg playing Wee Hughie...lol

On 1/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, Mark Antony said:

I do recommend it. First two seasons are on Netflix. It is pretty brutal at times just so you know going in. 

I will check it out tonight probably. I got around to The Expanse and loved it - but episodes 1-8 of season 2 aren’t available and I can’t justify actually purchasing on amazon. 

I am kind of looking forward to season 2 of Sneaky Pete which I would have never thought I’d like but gave it a whirl anyway. 

Im also sorta looking forward to Wayward Sisters, but I’m Supernatural fan so it comes with the territory. Could easily go either way. 

1 hour ago, Lady Olenna said:

Im also sorta looking forward to Wayward Sisters, but I’m Supernatural fan so it comes with the territory. Could easily go either way. 

That last episode did kind of feel like a backdoor pilot, but I hadn't heard about that spin off beforehand.  Without Grimm I need more urban fantasy on my television, so I'll definitely check it out.

10 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I will check it out tonight probably. I got around to The Expanse and loved it - but episodes 1-8 of season 2 aren’t available and I can’t justify actually purchasing on amazon. 

I am kind of looking forward to season 2 of Sneaky Pete which I would have never thought I’d like but gave it a whirl anyway. 

Forgot about season 2 of Sneaky Pete. That’s another I’m looking forward to, I loved season 1. Margo Martindale was a big draw to that series for me

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Forgot about season 2 of Sneaky Pete. That’s another I’m looking forward to, I loved season 1. Margo Martindale was a big draw to that series for me

She's great in basically everything.  She was one of the main reasons Justified went from good after season one to great during its second season.

Requiem

Requiem, which looks for all the world like a crime/horror mash-up set in Wales starring Tara Fitzgerald, Lydia Wilson, Brendan Coyle.2nd February on BBC One.

Trust (2018) FX Series

Rome, 1973. John Paul Getty III, the heir and younger member of an oil tycoons' saga, is kidnapped by the Italian mafia in order to get a ransom. Quite surprisingly, for some undisclosed reason, his family seems not inteterested at all in having him back.

The Mechanism (2018) Netflix Crime Series

From the creator of Narcos and Elite Squad comes this fictional drama series loosely inspired by an investigation of alleged corruption in private and state oil and construction companies in Brazil.

From two of the creators of the international hit series Gomorrah comes a new show: Maltese: The Mafia Detective

Maltese: The Mafia Detective is a tale of corruption, power and personal vengeance. Written by two of the creatives behind the international hit series Gomorrah and set in Sicily in the 1970s, Maltese tells the story of one man’s fight against the mafia.

Detective Dario Maltese (Kim Rossi Stuart) returns to his hometown in Sicily to attend a friend’s wedding and is immediately drawn back into the cruel and dishonest society he fled twenty years before. This time however, he must stay to uncover the truth: what starts out as a simple murder investigation quickly escalates, uncovering more disappearances, murders and ultimately exposing an impenetrable network of corruption and lawlessness. Driven by an insatiable urge for justice Maltese soon finds himself fighting alone, untangling a complex network of assassins and criminals working alongside government officials and the elite. Dodging hitmen on his tail, witnessing the murders of friends and colleagues and forced to risk the life of the woman he loves, a shocking truth to a very personal tragedy awaits Maltese.

The first episode airs on Channel 4, and then the rest of the series will be available on All4.

Maltese: The Mafia Detective: Sunday 4th February, 10pm, Channel 4

I watched two episodes of Gomorrah and could not keep my attention on it :( which also happened to me with The Wire. I know, I know, shame, shame. I will come back to it later and try again. 

I did find the danish series Rita which I loved more than I ever thought I would. And even though the last season ended in a way which would be satisfying as a series finale I am very much looking forward to a season 5 which I believe would air in Denmark this year but not til 2019 in the states. 

Altered Carbon releases Feb 2 - looks like it might be decent. 

@RedEyedGhost I’m pretty sure the Wayward sisters spin off is happening. I’m still on the fence. I like Jody but the rest are so-so. 

And I miss Grimm. Still mad about the finale though :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Lady Olenna said:

I watched two episodes of Gomorrah and could not keep my attention on it :( which also happened to me with The Wire. I know, I know, shame, shame. I will come back to it later and try again. 

I'd say most would agree that, on the first watch, The Wire is a tough show to get into initially.  The first couple of episodes are slow and mostly just setting everything up and introducing characters.  It doesn't kick into gear until about midway through the first season.  It improves tremendously on a rewatch, though, because you are already familiar with all the characters and so can appreciate them immediately.

Troy: Fall of a City --

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/27/troy-fall-of-city-west-against-east-lovers-siege-homer-bbc-netfllix

" . . . eight-part BBC/Netflix miniseries hopes to thrill us once more with the tale of the wooden horse – this time by telling the story, made famous by Homer, from the Trojan point of view. Troy: Fall of a City, which will air on BBC One this spring . . . "

Netflix's Post-apocalyptic Danish series The Rain trailer

New Netflix series The Rain is set to follow in the footsteps of recent mindbender Dark to be your next internationally-produced binge watch.

The streaming service's first co-production with Denmark, The Rain - co-created by Jannik Tai Mosholt, the man behind hugely popular political series Borgen - is set to be unveiled this spring.

The premise is excitingly simple:

The world as we know it has ended. Six years after a brutal virus wiped out almost all humans in Scandinavia, two Danish siblings, join a group of young survivors set out to find out whether a new world has begun somewhere else. They all hope that the siblings’ father is somewhere out there with answers.

Set free from the rules of civilized society, each of the young members of the group has the freedom to be who they want to be, but they all struggle with their inner selves, and the fact that even in a post-apocalyptic world there’s love, jealousy, coming of age, and every problem they thought they’d left behind with the disappearance of the world as they knew it.

The Rain has yet to receive the forecast of a release date. However, Netflix is teasing 'Spring 2018,'

On 27/01/2018 at 3:52 PM, Zorral said:

One of the things I liked about the Iliad was how it did a great job of telling the story from both POVs. Especially with the use of Hector - he always came off as a modern hero while the Greeks were largely terrifying despite being the protagonists.

So I hope the focus on Troy isn't at the expense of the Greek characters. But I guess if I'd have to pick it would be more refreshing to see the Trojan characters. Achilles usually gets the limelight in adaptations. Or Odysseus if they are trying to start a franchise :P

Archived