Upcoming TV Series of 2018/2019 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

Altered Carbon starts today... so I'm in... Babylon Berlin and A Really Futile and Stupid gesture (which both came out this week) also look interesting... and depending on what comes out next week, we'll probably one of start those after AC...

Plus, S2 of Lemony Snickets is upcoming... so yay.

Julian Fellows is doing his American Gilded Age Downton Abbey, titled -- Gilded Age.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/01/julian-fellowes-downton-abbey-follow-up-the-gilded-age-to-arrive-in-2019

So much NOT looking forward to this!  As preposterous historically as Downton Abbey was, what Fellows will do to US history -- just thinking of him turned loose on the Knickerbockers and the 400 -- it's shuddersome -- particularly considering what was going on in the US in those decades after the War of Rebellion and to WWI.  There's a reason the Gilded Age should be known as the Age of Miseries.

Also -- the NYT didn't have much of a positive opinion of Altered Carbon, thinking it looked generally SyFy quality, not Netflix quality, among other issues:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/arts/television/altered-carbon-review-netflix-blade-runner.html

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Julian Fellows is doing his American Gilded Age Downton Abbey, titled -- Gilded Age.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/01/julian-fellowes-downton-abbey-follow-up-the-gilded-age-to-arrive-in-2019

So much NOT looking forward to this!  As preposterous historically as Downton Abbey was, what Fellows will do to US history -- just thinking of him turned loose on the Knickerbockers and the 400 -- it's shuddersome -- particularly considering what was going on in the US in those decades after the War of Rebellion and to WWI.  There's a reason the Gilded Age should be known as the Age of Miseries.

Also -- the NYT didn't have much of a positive opinion of Altered Carbon, thinking it looked generally SyFy quality, not Netflix quality, among other issues:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/arts/television/altered-carbon-review-netflix-blade-runner.html

Speaking of the Gilded Age, this week's episode of American Experience is about that time period. I'm looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Altered Carbon starts today... so I'm in... Babylon Berlin and A Really Futile and Stupid gesture (which both came out this week) also look interesting... and depending on what comes out next week, we'll probably one of start those after AC...

Plus, S2 of Lemony Snickets is upcoming... so yay.

I was just wondering about lemony snicket actually. Do you know when we should expect it?

Randomly watched the Total Recall remake yesterday. It was one of those films where everything it did seemed reminiscent of a different, better, film, often the original Total Recall although it also managed to be derivative of Minority Report and Blade Runner as well. It wasn't a terrible film but it all felt a bit drab compared to the Arnie version of the story. Brian Cranston and Bill Nighy felt a bit wasted in small roles.

I'm about halfway through the second series of Dirk Gently. I think I probably preferred the main plot of the first season to the Wendimoor (sp?) plot in this, but other than that I'm enjoying the show, the characters are fun including the new additions such as the Montana police.

Watched the first episode of Altered Carbon today. I thought it got off to a fairly good start although they maybe tried to pack a bit too much backstory and world-building into the first episode. While it's a shame they couldn't use the Hendrix from the book, I thought The Raven was a good substitution.

ETA - I think I may have got confused about the different TV threads, this was meant to go in 'What are you watching'.

I was just watching a documentary on HBO, about a woman who's family was really into art in NYC 40 years ago and who were the first owners of one of Andy Warhol's Brillo box art pieces (and which sold in 2008 for over $3 M as a rare piece signed by Warhol),  and at the end a very brief trailer came on for a new HBO series based on Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I'm intrigued.

It is just a 'teaser': 

54 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Legion season 2 will be airing in April so I’m excited about that! April should be a great month, what with Westworld, Handmaid’s Tale and now Legion to keep me occupied!

I've no idea what to expect from Legion season 2, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

THE INNOCENTS Official Teaser Trailer (HD) Guy Pearce Netflix Drama Series

Troy: Fall Of A City - Promo - Saturday 17 February.

TOP GEAR Official Trailer (HD) Matt Leblanc BBC America Series

A Series Of Unfortunate Events - Season 2 | Official Teaser

Troy looks better than I expected it to. Will likely give it a try.

A Series of Unfortunate Events was very fun last year and I enjoyed the trailer. Looks like they cover a lot of the remaining books though - there was stuff up until about book 9 or 10 there (don’t recall exactly what number the carnival was).

http://deadline.com/2018/02/culture-book-series-consider-phlebas-tv-series-adaptation-amazon-by-plan-b-dennis-kelly-1202297416/

I don't know if anyone listed all the projects Amazon is doing, but this article lists some sf/f ones, including:

1. The Lord of the Rings
  2. Consider Phlebas / The Culture
  3. The Wheel of Time
  4. The Dark Tower
  5. Ringworld
  6. Snowcrash

15 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/culture-book-series-consider-phlebas-tv-series-adaptation-amazon-by-plan-b-dennis-kelly-1202297416/

I don't know if anyone listed all the projects Amazon is doing, but this article lists some sf/f ones, including:

1. The Lord of the Rings
  2. Consider Phlebas / The Culture
  3. The Wheel of Time
  4. The Dark Tower
  5. Ringworld
  6. Snowcrash

Don't forget "Lazarus" and "conan"

One of the perks of having a geek as CEO of Amazon is that he can essentially have his own shows made and Jeff Bezos was not kidding when he said he wanted Amazon TV to have their own "Game of thrones"

Any of these shows has the potential to become the next big thing - if we get 2-3 of them I'll be happy. I'll be delighted if we get them all. That said I suspect there's a difference between "development" and "in production". LOTR is guaranteed but maybe some of the others will fall by the wayside - "Conan", "Wheel of Time" and to some extent "Dark Tower" all cover similar ground to LOTR. Maybe "Dark Tower" with it's wild west, contemporary setting and general weirdness differentiates itself enough from the others but then there's the mediocre/bad film in such recent memory.

If by some miracle we got all of these - Amazon would probably be rivalling netflix in terms of SFF fare. Clearly Amazon is coming up with a slate that essentially says to Disney "I'll see your star wars and raise it with LOTR,etc,etc.".

Killing Eve | Premieres Sunday, April 8 at 8/7c on BBC America

Two women, a psychopathic assassin and a brilliant MI6 agent. Both tasked with the same deadly mission: Find Her.

Based on the novellas by Luke Jennings and written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Fleabag), BBC America's Killing Eve centers on two women; Eve (Sandra Oh) is a bored, whip-smart, pay-grade MI5 security officer whose desk-bound job doesn’t fulfill her fantasies of being a spy. Villanelle (Jodie Comer) is a mercurial, talented killer who clings to the luxuries her violent job affords her.

Killing Eve topples the typical spy-action thriller as these two fiercely intelligent women, equally obsessed with each other, go head to head in an epic game of cat and mouse.

Killing Eve premieres Sunday, April 8 at 8/7c on BBC America.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived