Hypothetical: The Hound takes Sansa to Robb and Cat. Do they marry Sansa to the Freys to pay off the bridge debt?

glassgardens

44 minutes ago, glassgardens said:

Does Sansa Stark become the bride of Black Walder or Lothar in an alternate universe in which Sandor Clegane successfully brings Sansa Stark to KITN Robb at Riverrun?

Thread title --- Hypothetical: The Hound takes Sansa to Robb and Cat. Do they marry Sansa to the Freys to pay off the bridge debt?

What is the bridge debt?

I’m a bit confudicated.

When did the Hound snatch Sansa from KL?

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

I think I can explain it better: If the Hound took Sansa with him when he left King’s Landing, would she be married to a Frey to fulfill part of the pact made when Catelyn bargained with Walder Frey in AGOT?

Yes. This.

The Starks owed the Freys for use of their "very important bridge." Walder Frey wanted a Stark to marry a Frey. If Robb was taken (by Jeyne Westerling or Talisa Maegyr), the next in line to be sold off was Sansa. The Starks were short on children to give away, so they talked Edmure into doing it instead.

I'm just wondering if Robb (and/or Cat) would have done that to Sansa.

11 minutes ago, glassgardens said:

Yes. This.

The Starks owed the Freys for use of their "very important bridge." Walder Frey wanted a Stark to marry a Frey. If Robb was taken (by Jeyne Westerling or Talisa Maegyr), the next in line to be sold off was Sansa. The Starks were short on children to give away, so they talked Edmure into doing it instead.

I'm just wondering if Robb (and/or Cat) would have done that to Sansa.

Considering what happened with Sansa’s last betrothal ...

IMO The Freys would have just ended up shipping Sansa back to the Lannisters after the Red Wedding anyway. After the Tyrells allied with the Crown and helped Tywin defeat Stannis at King's Landing the writing was on the wall for Walder Frey and just about everyone else. This is most likely when Walder made his decision to get in bed with the Lannisters. And with Sansa being the "key to the North" Tywin would still want control of Sansa instead of letting the Freys keep her.

Lose, Lose for Sansa. She'd be better running away with the Hound to Essos.

Yes, plain and simply Robb was desperate. Of course it was Arya who was initially offered, but they accepted this without having custody of her or knowledge of her whereabouts, as we see Robb gives her up for dead on the way to the Twins, and they know Sansa has been lost to them by way of her marriage to Tyrion. The reason Sansa was married off was because Tywin got wind of the Tyrell plot, during the conversation where Tyrion is told of this he advocates sending her back to her family and suing for peace, Tywin rejects this stating that Robb would marry her off to shore up his alliances, so it is not hard to assume that he would put her in a dress, marry her to a Frey and have Cat tell her to do her duty.

If the Hound had been at a Red Wedding, the outcome would have been a lot different. But even before that, I think he'd be gutted that his little adventure as a true knight ended with the rescued maiden tearfully sold off into another wretched marriage. So yes, I think he'd snatch her back, and away to Essos.

I think they wouldn't, and that's why:

1. One of Frey's daughters is getting married to Robb Stark, thus becoming future Lady of Winterfell, and her children will be next generation of The North's rulers, and Freys are getting access to northern resources.

or

2. Sansa married to Black Walder, she's moving to Riverlands to live in family castle of her husband, in Twins, this marriage won't contribute anything to Freys family.

While to marry one of Freys to Edmure Tully, will make that girl Lady of Riverrun, and her future children rulers of Riverlands.

Even if Starks will defeat Lannisters, then in case with first option, one of Freys will be Queen of 7K, while in case of second option they won't gain anything even out of victory against Lannisters. Sansa will be just a sister of 7K's King Robb, thus her husband will be King's brother-in-law. He will have about the same status as Jaime in Robert's court. Though he won't be Lord Commander of Kingsguards, thus basically he will be a no one.

Archived