Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

I'm very much a PC gamer, but have recently tried to give my PS4 a little more attention. It's been sitting next to my Amazon fireTV for a year, gathering dust. Anyways, played a little more of the FFX redux, but didn't get that itch to really dive into it.

I had pre-ordered No Man's Sky when its hype train was chugging along. I hit a game-ruining bug after about three hours of gameplay and was so upset that I simply never even put the disc back in. Well, I did. I figured out a few more important gameplay features that I'd completely missed the first time through I never even was aware that the Down arrow button that lets you summon your ship to your location, which really opened up some real exploration. Duh. Now I have a happy little base on a really beautiful world, and am totally content in exploring that system. I am terrified of the space combat portion of the game - part of why I never got into consoles is my total uselessness at thumb-control movement in any first-person setting, so I simply cannot manage to even keep a pirate on the screen without flailing about and running into an asteroid.

Anyway, I'm happy that it won't end up a 60 dollar waste. Perhaps it'll give me enough practice with the controller that I can play all those fantastic console games that I've avoided the past decade.

I actually thought the mini-Direct was a bit of a disappointment. Hey, here's some Wii U games that not only weren't good enough to buy a Wii U for, they weren't good enough for you to have heard of most of them. I am actively disinterested in Hyrule Warriors; I played TWEWY and I loved it, but I have a hard time seeing how it's going to translate well to the Switch. And, you know, I played it already. Likewise Dark Souls -- it's a great game, but how many times are we going to buy it? Kirby might be good; a lot of those games are just too easy, even for kids, but it's worth a shot. I have never really liked the Donkey Kong Country series, although I've beaten the first one more than once. I'll be glad to have Ys VIII, though the games are preeeeeeeetty generic, and I'll be interested to see how Fe and Celeste turn out.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

some of those moons seem super well-hidden. I reached the Seaside kingdom and decided to backtrack and spend some more time in all the kingdoms I've already been to, and I've only been able to find slightly more than half the moons in each one.

Just an FYI... after you "complete" the game, a lot more moons appear in each of the lands for you to go collect. So it's impossible to collect them all first time through.

I "finished" the game and went back to collect more moons in a couple of the lands, but then moved on to attack my growing backlog of games. I may pop back to do more moon collecting at a later date.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:09 PM, Rhom said:

All this talk of Witcher 3... I bought it maybe black Friday PSN sale in 2016 (???) and it has been sitting on my hard drive all that time.  At some point, I should probably play it.  :D 

I've had it since around the time it came out and just decided to play it. I'm on day 2 and obviously still in the overwhelmed stage. Don't know why I kept putting it off but this should keep me occupied for the next few months. 

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

All I know of this era comes from Dynasty Warriors.

Because of this, I assume that Lu Bu is an incredible badass and you are best off running if he spawns on your map.

Yup, Lu Bu was a monster. Dian Wei was always my go-to in those games.

Glad more Switch games were announced as I'm winding down with Zelda. I'll probably play Skyrim or Mario for a bit after. I might get Dark Souls when it comes out as I never played any of them. 

As someone who didn't have a Wii U, using Wii U games as releases to fill up times when no new games can come out is fine by me. That said, few of the games announced today appeal to me (I will probably get Dark Souls again if the price is right). I hear great things about the Donkey Kong game, but I don't know if I'd put down so much money for a 2D platformer. I'm hoping Smash Wii gets released on the Switch: that I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I'm slowly playing through Nier Automata. I just got past "ending B" and am now in the C section. To my mind it's a very inconsistent game: I love the music, the atmosphere of the world, and some of the levels (the amusement park in particular). But the combat is pretty dull, the story is all over the place, the characters are not particularly interesting, and the side quests are terrible. I'm also annoyed that the game makes you play through the same first 12 hours all over again, this time as a different character who is less fun to play as (so many tedious hacking minigames). I hear the game really picks up at the point I'm at, but I feel like it's not a good thing if it takes 20 hours for a game to become very good. Here's hoping I enjoy the rest more.

Switch is doing well with filling its library with multi-platform titles, but a somewhat concerning sign is that those titles are mostly either games that came out originally on PS3/X360 or were released on current and previous generation PS / XB hardware. It appears that the flagship third party games built for current generation PS/XB consoles and PC with no PS3/X360 version are not likely to find their way onto Switch any time soon. Which possibly means 3rd party support for Switch may dry up as time goes on, and particularly when third parties start developing for XOX+ and PS4Extra-pro (or whatever they will be called).

43 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Switch is doing well with filling its library with multi-platform titles, but a somewhat concerning sign is that those titles are mostly either games that came out originally on PS3/X360 or were released on current and previous generation PS / XB hardware. It appears that the flagship third party games built for current generation PS/XB consoles and PC with no PS3/X360 version are not likely to find their way onto Switch any time soon. Which possibly means 3rd party support for Switch may dry up as time goes on, and particularly when third parties start developing for XOX+ and PS4Extra-pro (or whatever they will be called).

True, but I don't think anyone was really expecting games that tax the Xbox One and Playstation 4 on the Switch. The thing is basically a high end tablet. That Bethesda got Skyrim and Doom to run on it was impressive.

I still hold out a glimmer of hope that Rockstar can and will do a paired down GTA V spinoff in the vein of Vice City Stories on the Switch. 

21 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Finally! Found out today that the next DLC for Stellaris will include planet destroyers. I can't even play the current version anymore knowing everything that's going to change in 2.0.

I'm looking forward to that. I'm enjoying the current version  although it is a bit too easy on bigger maps for my taste. Currently I'm playing tiny galaxy games with a 5x crisis on insane which is lots of fun because you have to min/max like crazy to win. 

I got me and my girlfriend a switch for Xmas and Zelda is lots of fun. When I realized that Link can climb I was amazed... Comes from playing too many Bethesda games I guess(at least Morrowind had levitation). It is my first console and I'm positively surprised. I had a gameboy as a kid though and played with my cousins on their NES. 

Deep in the Blood and Wine expansion for Witcher 3. This expansion is enormous, it's got about as much stuff to do in it as Velen by itself (not quite Velen+Novigrad combined though).

I'm 76 hours into the game and I can see getting a fair bit more out of it, but I'm intrigued at how people got up to 100+ hours in the game. Either I've missed an absolute metric butt-ton of sidequests somewhere (not impossible) or people have been playing on the hardest difficulty level and spending three times longer in combat than I have.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Deep in the Blood and Wine expansion for Witcher 3. This expansion is enormous, it's got about as much stuff to do in it as Velen by itself (not quite Velen+Novigrad combined though).

I'm 76 hours into the game and I can see getting a fair bit more out of it, but I'm intrigued at how people got up to 100+ hours in the game. Either I've missed an absolute metric butt-ton of sidequests somewhere (not impossible) or people have been playing on the hardest difficulty level and spending three times longer in combat than I have.

I dunno, my run in W3 was a little over 100 hours IIRC and that was without any DLC. But I think I play games slower than the average person, my runs in games are always longer than most people's seem to be. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Have you even gotten to Skellige yet?

Because if not, it's another map that's damn near as big as Velen/Novigrad and there are a billion things to do there.

I ended up getting 150 hours out of the base game and the two expansions.  I did a ton of side quests and got three or four full witcher armors though.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Have you even gotten to Skellige yet?

Because if not, it's another map that's damn near as big as Velen/Novigrad and there are a billion things to do there.

I ended up getting 150 hours out of the base game and the two expansions.  I did a ton of side quests and got three or four full witcher armors though.

I've completed the entire main quest (Ciri went off to be empress and the Empire conquered the North, which was a bit of a bummer, but I had to kill Radovid as he was such an arsehole). Been to Kaer Morhen and Skellige, done the Hearts of Stone expansion, done every single notice board side-quest, completed all of the treasure hunts and witcher contracts in the main game and I'm now in the Blood and Wine expansion.

The only things I haven't done are the Gwent-related quests (I find Gwent fairly tedious). There's still a fair few question marks dotted around the main map and Skellige and I haven't methodically wiped out every monster nest and liberated every town (I've done a fair few though). Unless those question marks are covering up a lot of entire lengthy sub-quests, there's not much more to do on the main map.

ETA: I've completed 243 quests, failed 3, and have 26 outstanding.

ETA(2): According to one online source there's 268 quests in the base game alone. One guy who is convinced he 100%ed the game and both expansions (since it doesn't tell you) says he has 353 quests in total in his log. So there's a fair bit more I haven't discovered, probably mostly through those question marks. That was after he'd put into 600 hours (!) into the game, which seems rather excessive.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:26 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

(I will probably get Dark Souls again if the price is right).

$40. Which isn't bad for a re-master, though I'm not sure how much prettier the switch version will be than the original. 

17 hours ago, RumHam said:

$40. Which isn't bad for a re-master, though I'm not sure how much prettier the switch version will be than the original. 

I think I'd buy it for that. I have the PC version, which runs terribly, so as long as it works it'll be an improvement for me!

@Werthead

Sounds like you've pretty much done most of what Witcher 3 has to offer. I've got 98 hours on TW3, after beating the main game, doing most of the major sidequests including monster contracts, beating Heart of Stone and doing about half of Blood and Wine. These sorts of open world games can really vary in playtime. In any case, I definitely wouldn't go after the points of interest- those can be fun if you're already on your way somewhere, but they're rarely worth seeking out.

I'm very excited for the new Stellaris expansion too. It's been a while since I've played, but this seems like the perfect time to get back into it.

Finally got promoted to Petty Officer in Elite Dangerous' Federal Navy (and got permit for Sol system), and outfitted my Asp Explorer for deep-range exploration.  I can jump just over 33 ly, got a 6C class fuel scoop which is very fast, and no weapons.

I launched from one of Earth's orbital statio s and am currently sitting in a system approx 800 ly to the 'north' with undiscovered planets.

My plan is to go north a few thousand ly, then west to Colonia near the core where theres a station.  From there I'll unfit my srv, shields and some heatsinks to increase jump range, and head to Beagle Point on the far edge of the galaxy.

Finished Witcher 3.

88 hours in all, with both expansions done, main stories, and all the sidequests, the Witcher contracts and noticeboards I could find. I also went back and redid the last four or five story quests in Blood and Wine as I got the "ultra grimdark" ending which wasn't how my Geralt was rolling. That was a good idea as the alternate quests (in the fairytale otherworld) were much funnier and more entertaining

Some of the treasure hunts in Toussaint remain but they shouldn't take any more than an hour or so to finish off.

Still a few occupied towns and monster nests knocking around though, and so many of those question marks, but I agree they're not worth knocking myself out over. It was fun to fully upgrade the house, stick up that ridiculous portrait of Geralt, shove a few spare armour sets up and then chill out with a drink with Triss.

My biggest complaint in the game is that the war in the main game got short shrift. It really doesn't make sense for Dijkstra to flip out and 1) assume he can rule Redania himself (when he's been the eternal middle-man) or 2) turn on and attack Geralt when he's with Roche and Ves. Dijkstra knows that Geralt is capable at this point of taking out dozens of men single-handed (he's seen him do it!) so taking him and two battled-hardened guerrillas in combat with just a couple of guards is insane. Maybe if I hadn't sided so much with Roche in Witcher 2 it would have been different. But even then, Roche and Ves ride out to the battle at Kaer Morhen and help you out in W3 by itself whilst Dijkstra tells you to piss off no matter what you do (at best he'll give you a paltry amount of gold), so Geralt owes Roche big-time and owes Dijkstra nothing. But if you kill Radovid (no choice there, he was massive dickhead) and Dijkstra, then Nilfgaard will automatically win the war.

The Empire winning did kind of work out though, as Redania regained its freedom (I'm not sure how, I'm assuming it's a nod at Adda probably surviving W1 but they didn't want to go into that as console players never got to play it) and Ciri ended up empress-in-waiting in my playthrough.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

My biggest complaint in the game is that the war in the main game got short shrift. It really doesn't make sense for Dijkstra to flip out and 1) assume he can rule Redania himself (when he's been the eternal middle-man) or 2) turn on and attack Geralt when he's with Roche and Ves. Dijkstra knows that Geralt is capable at this point of taking out dozens of men single-handed (he's seen him do it!) so taking him and two battled-hardened guerrillas in combat with just a couple of guards is insane. Maybe if I hadn't sided so much with Roche in Witcher 2 it would have been different. But even then, Roche and Ves ride out to the battle at Kaer Morhen and help you out in W3 by itself whilst Dijkstra tells you to piss off no matter what you do (at best he'll give you a paltry amount of gold), so Geralt owes Roche big-time and owes Dijkstra nothing. But if you kill Radovid (no choice there, he was massive dickhead) and Dijkstra, then Nilfgaard will automatically win the war.

Definitely. The ending to the assassination of Radovid quest is one of the weakest parts and choices in the game, and I was disappointed with how the political side of things panned out. I think in my playthrough, with Radovid dead and Ciri choosing to be a Witcher, Nielfgard just rolled over everyone. In general, I wish the war had gotten more attention in the game itself.

I finished the final, ultimate ending of Nier: Automata. 

Spoiler

Ending E is pretty clever, with the "credits" fight being joined by other players and the final choice to help someone else out by destroying your game data. My choice was made easier since I don't ever intend to return to the game.

The final stretch of route C is much better than what came before in Route B and the beginning of Route C, especially the A2 sections with Pascal's Village. But it's was too little, too late for me; I was just playing to get the game over with after all the tedium. Despite all the hype, I found the endings to be pretty disappointing (notwithstanding E's cleverness). The plot still makes zero sense. YORHA fabricated the existence of humans so that the androids would have purpose, and keeps making androids, but then needs to wipe out the androids when they start figuring it out... What? Still, I appreciate the game's boldness, creativity, and willingness to take risks, even if the whole thing doesn't really hang together and if the highlights were mainly very early on- the amusement park and the machine cult in particular. It's a very weird game, in good and bad ways, and I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. But that soundtrack is phenomenal.

Archived