Video Games: May the force of your wallet be with you

Corvinus85

13 hours ago, Fez said:

We really using spoilers for a game from the '90s? Okay,

Reveal hidden contents

Nah, Aeries dies a long while after leaving Midgar. There's a pretty long pursuit of Sephiroth, through Kalm, Junon, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, and a bunch of other places before her death in an Ancients temple (or wherever it is). Before her death, you spend much more of the game outside Midgar than inside it.

Her death is around the halfway point of the game, which means if Square wants to divide the game into three, it'd be hard to end one of them at her death.

lol I was just following suit,  I don't remember really anything outside of Midgar other than the Lion Dog and Cid's rocketship so I'll trust ya on that.

10 hours ago, Slurktan said:

lol I was just following suit,  I don't remember really anything outside of Midgar other than the Lion Dog and Cid's rocketship so I'll trust ya on that.

I think FF7 is one of those games where pretty much all of the most iconic stuff happens in the first few hours of the game and relatively little later on. FF7's storyline is unnecessarily convoluted (although it's at least mostly intelligible, despite the awful translation) and the memorable moments definitely tail off towards the finale.

I also believe FF7 is the most returned/resold video game of all time (at the time anyway) which means a lot of people never saw much beyond the start of the game as they couldn't get on with it.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think FF7 is one of those games where pretty much all of the most iconic stuff happens in the first few hours of the game and relatively little later on. FF7's storyline is unnecessarily convoluted (although it's at least mostly intelligible, despite the awful translation) and the memorable moments definitely tail off towards the finale.

I also believe FF7 is the most returned/resold video game of all time (at the time anyway) which means a lot of people never saw much beyond the start of the game as they couldn't get on with it.

Other than the big death and a couple of the character designs, what actually is iconic about FF7? I guess the art design of Midgar itself is pretty neat, but I'm struggling to come up with much else. It was the first polygonal 3D RPG for a lot of people (and sold very well), which is why it looms large in video game history; but the game itself doesn't have much going for it.

I played it multiple times when it came out (and have a memory for video game plots), so I can somewhat recount the plot. But its pretty standard JRPG stuff, with very little "holy shit" potential, other than the big death. There's a reason that's almost always the only thing mentioned from the game.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Other than the big death and a couple of the character designs, what actually is iconic about FF7? I guess the art design of Midgar itself is pretty neat, but I'm struggling to come up with much else. It was the first polygonal 3D RPG for a lot of people (and sold very well), which is why it looms large in video game history; but the game itself doesn't have much going for it.

I played it multiple times when it came out (and have a memory for video game plots), so I can somewhat recount the plot. But its pretty standard JRPG stuff, with very little "holy shit" potential, other than the big death. There's a reason that's almost always the only thing mentioned from the game.

It's been a long time since I played it, but at the time I thought the plot twists surrounding Cloud towards the end of the game were fairly interesting. Sephiroth and Jenovah were relatively interesting villains, as was Shinra. The party you gather has relatively few duds. Sure, the plot is drawn out and in many ways cliched, but what JRPG isn't?

There's tons of nostalgia at play here, of course; for me, FF7 was the second 3D RPG I ever played, after FF9. I'm sure the fact that it was the first for many people is part of why it remains so iconic, compared to other 3D Final Fantasies. But I'd say it's still a very good game that managed to strike a chord few other JRPGs could and haven't since it came out.

Whether it'll survive the transition to three games is another question. I get the reasons for splitting it, though I also suspect that it is partially a cash grab. I'm not sure I understand how the Midgar stuff can sustain an entire third of the game. Based on how part 1 reviews, I'll probably pick it up and see how I feel from there.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The music is massively iconic.

Yes.  Another one like that is FF3/6j.  I have recently been playing that on my phone.  The music in South Figaro, the Phantom Train, the Veldt, the overworld theme... every bit of it comes back to me like it was just yesterday that I played it for the first time.

I think another big factor in FFVII was the marketing.  Maybe there were other games that got decent commercials (I know there's that infamously terrible Zelda one from the 80's) but I remember seeing Cloud on the train on TV and the other spots and it just felt like a whole new era of gaming was being born.

FF VII is also memorable because it was used to sell the Playstation. Before it, not everyone was going to buy it (or expected to buy Nintendo), but this caused people to switch, so in many ways it was the first Sony game anyone played, their first experience with a Playstation. 

47 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

FF VII is also memorable because it was used to sell the Playstation. Before it, not everyone was going to buy it (or expected to buy Nintendo), but this caused people to switch, so in many ways it was the first Sony game anyone played, their first experience with a Playstation. 

It’s why I bought one.

My first games while waiting for FFVII were Tekken 2 and a game I had never heard of called Wild ARMS.  Turns out WA was my first 3D JRPG. :lol: I came to love that little game.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:11 PM, AndrewJ said:

Fitting your bill perfectly - The original Knack is looked upon with a lot of disdain. i never really saw anything of that game. But I saw a "quick look" of Knack 2 a little while back. It looked to be a moderately fun platformer that was playable in Co-op. It's probably not something I'd play myself, but it would be very suitable for co-op with an 11 year old. I think the second game was a bit better received than the first.

Good suggestion, thanks.  It looks like a light-hearted platform co-op with enough combat and fun moves to keep it interesting.  It should be a good complement for the darker Diablo III and Viking Wolves of Midgard.  Definitely looks a better fit than Ratchett and Clank. 

8 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

GodDammit, men! Your continued impotence has driven me to drastic measures.

I think I'm going to re-install SWOTOR

I don’t know who you’re talking about, cause it sure ain’t me... but it’s never a bad thing to fire up KOTOR again.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Nah dawg. Swotor, not Kotor.

Hmmmm... Trying to decide if you still mean Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO but you just accidentally included an extra O; or is there another game that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head?

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Hmmmm... Trying to decide if you still mean Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO but you just accidentally included an extra O; or is there another game that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head?

Yes. I mean the MMO

14 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yes. I mean the MMO

Ooooooh... there’s been a tickle in the back of my mind about reinstalling it the last couple of weeks. 

Get out of my head PQJ!!!!!

Just now, Rhom said:

Ooooooh... there’s been a tickle in the back of my mind about reinstalling it the last couple of weeks. 

Get out of my head PQJ!!!!!

I've wandered the desert for so long, Rhom!

I kinda enjoyed the stories for the badguys, but the bounty hunter line is fucking dumb. I have no interest in being a Sith Warrior, and the only good guy line that looks fun is the Smuggler but you know it's going to be watered down stupidity.

The lack of vision displayed by the people who've run Star Wars since the early 90's truly is stunning. Of course they settle for the low hanging fruit of always having the rebellion use nonleathal special weapons and the weird need to make everyone with a morally dubious job be a secret altruist is upsetting.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I kinda enjoyed the stories for the badguys, but the bounty hunter line is fucking dumb. I have no interest in being a Sith Warrior, and the only good guy line that looks fun is the Smuggler but you know it's going to be watered down stupidity.

Smuggler story is really funny in parts, as you might expect. It is certainly the most fun of the Republic-side. The Jedi ones are both awful. Trooper is okay in Act 1 but after that is just boring military tripe. 

Sith Inquisitor and Imperial Agent are the best storylines by far. Hell, now you've got me wanting to play again!

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The lack of vision displayed by the people who've run Star Wars since the early 90's truly is stunning. Of course they settle for the low hanging fruit of always having the rebellion use nonleathal special weapons and the weird need to make everyone with a morally dubious job be a secret altruist is upsetting.

My first character was a Trooper.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, but then I played an female Chiss agent.  It was like a blue James Bond... but a gal.  That storyline was a ton of fun.

I have other characters in various stages of progress.  I remember liking my Sith Sorcerer, his name was Anasurimbor and my goal was one day to have the title Darth Anasurimbor.  Sadly, I think I lost the name in one of the many server mergers.

Archived