Most Adaptable Works of Fantasy

The Prince of Newcastle

7 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

Is Thomas Covenant among the 'most adaptable'?  The protagonist is, you know, sort of a dick even aside from being a rapist.

You could get around that by just doing the second trilogy instead. Linden's a much easier pill for the audience to swallow. On the other hand, the CGI needed for the Sunbane would eat into the budget like there's no tomorrow.

I believe Amazon bought the rights to a LOTR television series. It's coming.

I'd like to see Xena RE adapted. We can leave the cheesy 90's fight scenes and dialogue in the 90's, but there's good stuff to work with there. They could adapt it like GOT and make it much more gory, political, etc.

I really want to see a GOOD adaptation of the Clan of the Cave Bear.

Mostly, I'd like to see spin offs of sub plots I want more of.

16 hours ago, Ajûrbkli said:

Is Thomas Covenant among the 'most adaptable'?  The protagonist is, you know, sort of a dick even aside from being a rapist.

That’s why I said nobody’s gonna do it. I still think it would work though, if done right.

9 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

You could get around that by just doing the second trilogy instead. Linden's a much easier pill for the audience to swallow. On the other hand, the CGI needed for the Sunbane would eat into the budget like there's no tomorrow.

I’d hate to see that. Covenant being a complete piece of shit, while also being the world’s only hope, is kinda the whole point.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was going to mention Novik then I remembered both her series and stand alone have been optioned already.

Surprised no one has tried to do Soulless yet.

They have? Nice! I think Uprooted would make good TV, though I suspect the fairy-Tale/folklore tone would probably give it a smaller audience.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was going to mention Novik then I remembered both her series and stand alone have been optioned already.

Considering the Temeraire books are all dragons all the time, many, many, many dragons, like most of Patrick O'Brian 's Aubrey and Maturin series are all ships all the time, on which the Temeraire series is modeled, and Got seemingly can't afford even three dragons . . . .

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Considering the Temeraire books are all dragons all the time, many, many, many dragons, like most of Patrick O'Brian 's Aubrey and Maturin series are all ships all the time, on which the Temeraire series is modeled, and Got seemingly can't afford even three dragons . . . .

WETA my friend, WETA.

Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time, Andrzej Sapowski’s Witcher books and Patrick Rothfuss’s The Kingkiller Chronicle are currently being adapted for the screen. Not to mention  Westeros and Middle Earth spinoffs.

Seems like there is way too much fantasy headed to the screen... the bubble will eventually burst. Many or most of these series will not survive into 2nd or 3rd seasons. Starz’s Camelot series only lasted one season. Too much competition in the TV field these days.

On 11/15/2017 at 9:12 PM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

An Elric movie has been in development hell for decades.

It's never going to happen, of course, but I think my own little Wise Phuul would make an OK miniseries (damn it, a man can dream...).

There's a Snow Crash and Ringworld show being made right now.

Anything is possible.

“Adaptability” is probably low on the priority list of studio executives who decide what shows/movies get made.

”Profitability” tops the list. Managing the marketing expense is one of the keys to profitability. How to market cost effectively? Adapt the books with the largest readership. 

Harry Potter, 50 Shades of Grey, Lord of the Rings, Stephen King novels...

So which fantasy novels will be headed to the screen next? Probably something from Brandon Sanderson... not because it is “adaptable” but because some studio executive believes it might be profitable.

Mind you, the Dark Tower business confuses the hell out of me.

They had an entire series of book to adapt that were a license to print money and chose to utterly butcher the story, thus making no point to it.

My crazy theory is the executives couldn't imagine it succeeding with what Roland does at the end of the first book.

Archived