How Much Did Jon Snow Care?

Why do you say that?

Jon almost broke a very serious vow by abandoning his post to attempt to support his family, and would likely have been killed by his own kingly brother had he not been brought back to the Wall. He later tries to lead the Wall into a war to save his sister and is stabbed for it. 

54 minutes ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Rereading the series, it's obvious that Jon cared about his family and was saddened by their death.

But does anyone else get the feeling that he did not care as much as he should have?

It's not a matter of caring nor the degree of caring.  It's about making appropriate judgment and setting priorities.  Jon made many terrible decisions, committed treason, betrayed his sworn brothers, and destroyed the wall because of his feelings for Arya.  He can care a little or a lot but he should have placed the needs of the wall above the needs of the Starks.  

3 hours ago, zandru said:

Seriously? When did this happen? You might think someone would have noticed, it being 700 feet tall and something like 100 leagues long...

:lmao: That's a new one. Usually the Snow haters stick to the treasonous-lying-bastard who betrayed the NW to steal Ramsay Bolton's wife stuff. Now he has destroyed the wall too! Jon Snow is on bad a** m'fer

9 hours ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Rereading the series, it's obvious that Jon cared about his family and was saddened by their death.

But does anyone else get the feeling that he did not care as much as he should have?

I get what you are saying. Despite the fact that he almost breaks his vows I would have just expected him, & all of the Stark kids, to think about the deaths of the rest of their family a little more. I guess I've just chalked it up to the fact that they have so much other stuff going on they are basically focusing on their own survival right now.

When Tyrion's POV became more about dwelling on the past while drinking and pissing, it didn't read well. Catelyn's chapters towards the end, while better written than Tyrion's moping tour, still had a heaviness to them that was difficult to read.

In retrospect, I noticed a tendency to avoid showing characters while their grieving is the worst or when they first get the worst of the news, not just with Jon, but with most of the time with most of the characters. We don't get to see Cersei at her worst over Joff, and we only see Catelyn at her worst through Jon long after she has learned about Bran. We aren't in Sansa's head while Ned is beheaded. I think we typically don't see a great deal of mourning not because it's meant to indicate that the character in question isn't as affected, but as a courtesy to the reader. If we saw all of the characters grieve their respective loses to the degree that they actually feel upset about them and see the frequency that they think on these loses, I think the series would be intolerable for me to read.

I think that when we're told that a character is grieving, as readers we're supposed to use our imaginations somewhat to bring that into proportion respective to the character.

The argument can be made that his dealings with Alys Karstark show just how much he loves his family, even distant kin.  Alys is blood (both of them acknowledge the relationship) and Jon feels and behaves brotherly towards her.  He is the closest thing to Ned among all the children, which makes sense, given Ned's upbringing.

On 15/11/2017 at 11:11 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

:lmao: That's a new one. Usually the Snow haters stick to the treasonous-lying-bastard who betrayed the NW to steal Ramsay Bolton's wife stuff. Now he has destroyed the wall too! Jon Snow is on bad a** m'fer

:lol:

You forgot to say that Ramsay is the true lord of Winterfell, and dad Roose the Warden of the North! :rolleyes:

On 11/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

The welfare of the Starks should no longer be his concern.  He can still remember them with fondness if he chooses to do so but he cannot and should not ever fight on their side against any of the other houses.  

We don't get the immediate reactions to news of their deaths for the most part, but during his chapters in Dance he reads depressed an fatalistic. He also jumped off to kill Thorne after he heard about Ned's imprisonment and nearly lost it when he heard that fArya was alive.

What bugs me about Jon, that why did not he tell Jeor Mormont the whole truth about Craster's sacrifices? He just told Mormont, that Craster gives his sons to the wood. I think Mormont and the rangers of the Night Watch thought of some bloodthirsty deities of the wildlings, and not of the Others. They were aware about the sacrifices, but did they know who Craster's "gods" were?

For the Stark family he has alwas did what was possible in his position.

Archived