What if Ned Stark attempted to install Jon Snow as King after the TOJ?

Frey Kings

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

In this world as it is set now, the small people don't really chose shit. If you read the World book, Princess and the Queen, Rogue Prince, and now even Sons of the Dragon, you will see that it is all political maneuvering by the upper, imperial level decision makers like the High Septon or Archmaesters, etc. This is not a democratic society and what the smallfolk want means nothing. For one, look at the many Faith/7-sparrow revolts that have happened because the smallfolk did not agree with the way the uppers were making decisions that were contrary to the tenets of their faith. And this includes crowing Aegon I where "the people" were ignored because there is a clear division and out of touch reality with 99% of the lords contrary to the smallfolk opinions...

"When Queen Visenya placed a Valyrian steel circlet, studded with rubies, on her brother's head and Queen Rhaenys hailed him as, "Aegon, First of His Name, King of All Westeros, and Shield of His People," the dragons roared and the lords and knights sent up a cheer...but the smallfolk, the fisherman and field hands and goodwives, shouted loudest of all."

I didn't say smallfolk.  I said people.  The nobles are people.  And yes, nobles and common all suffered during the rebellion,

3 minutes ago, Josette DuPres said:

I didn't say smallfolk.  I said people.  The nobles are people.  And yes, nobles and common all suffered during the rebellion,

The nobles follow whoever gives the most gold, and sometimes that means forgoing their own morals. So yes, nobles are people, but the smallfolk also count, and will count more as the story goes on.

And what I referenced above was about Aegon the Conquerer, not fAegon the Griffonfyre. Not sure if I was clear on that.

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The nobles follow whoever gives the most gold, and sometimes that means forgoing their own morals. So yes, nobles are people, but the smallfolk also count, and will count more as the story goes on.

And what I referenced above was about Aegon the Conquerer, not fAegon the Griffonfyre. Not sure if I was clear on that.

Who King Aerys chooses is who the people will/have to accept and given that Rhaegar is seen as the cause of the war his star will have dropped significantly.  A prince who followed his penis and caused a war that brought suffering and expense is not going to be preferred over Viserys.  I will even venture to say that Rhaegar's stupidity and the way he handled his affair with Lyanna, whether it produced a child or not, will be seen very negatively. 

Who King Aerys chooses is who the people will/have to accept and given that Rhaegar is seen as the cause of the war his star will have dropped significantly. 

Unless they revolt, as they have done for various reasons in the past. And where are the receipts for this decree?

A prince who followed his penis and caused a war that brought suffering and expense is not going to be preferred over Viserys. 

We readers, and very few people, truly know what the Rhaegar/Lyanna story is. Most people have a rather nice view of Rhaegar, including Eddard. Viserys was showing Targ madness like his father at around eight years old.

I will even venture to say that Rhaegar's stupidity and the way he handled his affair with Lyanna, whether it produced a child or not, will be seen very negatively. 

Hmmm, maybe, maybe not. We have no idea what the truth is here.

And what do you think Aerys meant when he said Elia "smelled Dornish"? Just curious.

What reason could Ned give for this act of madness?  Your question assumes Jon is the son of Rhaegar and he's legitimized.  Alright, the first is technically possible among other fatherhood possibilities but the second is impossible.   The child of that pair is a bastard. 

Ned wanted to end the war and this is not the way to do it.   

6 hours ago, Texas Hold Em said:

Ned wanted to end the war and this is not the way to do it.   

Perfectly sums it up! 

To think Ned would try to crown a baby misses the whole point of his character. He’s not power hungry like Tywin nor is he interested in reestablishing a dynasty he just rebelled against and overthrew. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, Bael's Bastard said:

Viserys was never king in anyone's mind except his own. Aerys might have made him his heir, but if so, that choice died with him. That might have changed had Viserys been stable enough to fulfill the marriage pact signed between Oberyn and Darry, and invaded Westeros and claimed the Iron Throne. But he wasn't, and he couldn't. He was just an exiled son of a dead king with a queen's crown. And if the Targaryens had won the war and Rhaegar and/or his son lived, I doubt Aerys would have found much support if he had tried to assert Viserys as his successor over Rhaegar and his son. In certain circumstances a king might be able to choose their heir, but I doubt that would have flown in a case where there were clear male heirs and a clear succession.

Only the king can make that decision.  The fact is, King Aerys chose Viserys to inherit after his death.  King Viserys III became the king of the seven kingdoms when Aerys died.  Rhaegar's family lost their claim, forever, as soon as Aerys chose Viserys.  So all of Rhaegar's children and future children lost their claim, forever.   

54 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Only the king can make that decision.  The fact is, King Aerys chose Viserys to inherit after his death.  King Viserys III became the king of the seven kingdoms when Aerys died.  Rhaegar's family lost their claim, forever, as soon as Aerys chose Viserys.  So all of Rhaegar's children and future children lost their claim, forever.   

In no reality is that true. Rhaegar's family, including his younger brother Viserys, lost their claim when Robert Baratheon became king. At least until one of them acquires the kingship and asserts and is accepted as a result of their Targaryen claim. And as of now, the only person claiming Aerys named Viserys his heir after Rhaegar's death is Yandel over a decade later, probably based on the word of Grand Maester Pycelle, a proven liar and manipulator, and the person single handedly responsible for advising Aerys to welcome the last minute cowardly traitor Lannister murderers into KL to carry out their butchery. Pycelle could have easily invented this otherwise unattested claim, since poor baby Aegon would have already been murdered by the time he sent any account to the Citadel anyway. And it would be beneficial to an anti-Targaryen faction at the Citadel interested in manipulating Robert into assassinating Daenerys the last known Targaryen.

7 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

In no reality is that true. Rhaegar's family, including his younger brother Viserys, lost their claim when Robert Baratheon became king. At least until one of them acquires the kingship and asserts and is accepted as a result of their Targaryen claim. And as of now, the only person claiming Aerys named Viserys his heir after Rhaegar's death is Yandel over a decade later, probably based on the word of Grand Maester Pycelle, a proven liar and manipulator, and the person single handedly responsible for advising Aerys to welcome the last minute cowardly traitor Lannister murderers into KL to carry out their butchery. Pycelle could have easily invented this otherwise unattested claim, since poor baby Aegon would have already been murdered by the time he sent any account to the Citadel anyway. And it would be beneficial to an anti-Targaryen faction at the Citadel interested in manipulating Robert into assassinating Daenerys the last known Targaryen.

I agree.  Jon's parentage would certainly be suspect given the kidnapping story.  Placing a 'Stark' on the throne would be suicide for Ned and Jon.  In spite of the fact that Robert claims that he never wanted the throne and that it should have gone to Ned and then to Jon (Arryn).  Of course, we are meant to think this should be Ned as regent to Jon (Lyanna's son).   Cersei makes it quite clear that Ned should have taken the throne (from Robert) with all the peril that would involve.  The only safe course of action was to return to Winterfell where his first duty lies.  

Archived