Where Whores Go

Darry Man

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Darry Man said:

Maybe we should be focusing on tracking down these types of incidents involving whores, at least to start. Maybe it is the inequitable exchange of violence and payment that creates the bloodmagic necessary to create the Others.

I debated long and hard about replying to this because it opens up a huge can of headcanon worms, but what the heck.  If you want to dive into the idea of hoary whores and bloodmagic, take a look at two teenage girls in the story that oddly enough have a lot of prostitution symbolism around them even though they aren't actual practicing whores:  one silver-haired Daenerys Targaryen, moon-of-my-life married to her sun-and-stars, and pale-as-frost winter rose Lyanna Stark, supposedly the love interest of the dragon prince.  

Both ladies have a surprising amount of connections to brothels and whores (I haven't ferreted this all out yet), both have "icy" elements to them, and I suspect that blood magic is involved in BOTH cases with the birth of their children.   Your idea of a trade of violence & payment fits in well here  - it definitely applies to Dany in the tent ceremony with MMD (she endures a terrible "violation" that results in Rhaego's death, but receives a "payment" of three dragons), and IMO we'll learn of something similar with Lyanna.    I'm hoping that Winds will drop more clues about their association with prostitution because there is definitely that undercurrent in their stories.

• 4 months later...

This thread really caught my imagination!

Hoar and hoarfrost seem such archaic terms (I'd never heard them before) so the fact GRRM uses them in the books does seem worth looking into. (Well, he may have just been using his thesaurus for the word 'ice', seeing as it features so much in his story, too). I like the symbolism and word-play, though, so I did some quick searches going on the assumption that there could be connections here.

Three figures seem closely related to whores.

1. Jon's mother is accused of being a whore:

Toad stepped close. "The little lordling has a mouth on him," he said. He had pig eyes, small and shiny. "Is that your mommy's mouth, bastard? What was she, some whore? Tell us her name. Maybe I had her a time or two." He laughed.

... which brings us to Lyanna again. Elsewhere on the forum it has been speculated that the female line of the Starks (Eddard's mother) might be of wildling stock. Was there once interbreeding with the icy Others? If nothing else, it re-inforces the Ice + Fire motif.

2. Tyrion's whoring is renowned, obviously. He married a whore once. He falls in love with a whore. Then he weds Sansa: could this be foreshadowing for her becoming an ice-queen figure?

3. Littlefinger. He owns whores. In fact, he is the de facto lord of all whores in Kings Landing. He mentions them here in one of his first conversations with Eddard:

"Every inn in the city is full, and the whores are walking bowlegged and jingling with each step."

For some reason this imagery just reminds me of the way zombies lurch around. Maybe just me though... :)

Bonus: There are also the Three Whores - 3 huge trebuchet which are used in the Battle of Blackwater:

The gate was open. Inside, three great trebuchets stood side by side in the market square, peering over the battlements like three huge birds. Their throwing arms were made from the trunks of old oaks, and banded with iron to keep them from splitting. The gold cloaks had named them the Three Whores, because they'd be giving Lord Stannis such a lusty welcome. Or so we hope.

Foreshadowing for Stannis' battles in the North? A battle with the Others?

Problem is, once I accept the deliberate hoar-whore connection, there's a whole bunch of delicious possibilities that open up. How devious do we give GRRM credit for being, I guess is my question. 

On 05/04/2018 at 11:15 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

"Every inn in the city is full, and the whores are walking bowlegged and jingling with each step."

For some reason this imagery just reminds me of the way zombies lurch around. Maybe just me though... :)

Mmm, me too. Looking forward to a whole new culture opening up - the culture of the walking undead.  And it adds a certain spice to the standard 'your mother is a whore' remark.

That quote has another good pun in 'bowlegged' too - 'bow' as in bent, and 'bow' as in bowing/submitting. All those poor whores are controlled, unfree - and surely all those poor wights are the same.

In Dorne, the people are 'unbent, unbowed, unbroken', and I can't remember any whores there. There is a lot more free love than the rest of Westeros though - just another form of the freedom the Dornish love so much.

Problem is, once I accept the deliberate hoar-whore connection, there's a whole bunch of delicious possibilities that open up. How devious do we give GRRM credit for being, I guess is my question. 

How devious? Very! :)

ETA

A little quote linking whores and the dead:

[Tyrion] This girl is as good as dead. I have just fucked a corpse. Even her eyes are dead....

TYRION VI - ADWD

Archived