Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daenerys Targaryen's slave

Tyrell Glass: Trade Wars

Recommended Posts

Let's say that in 285 AC  Willas Tyrell finds the solution of creating clear glass.With the help of an alchemist, along the years, Willa's creates superb Telescopes, Binoculars, Microscopes, etc.

 

How does this effect the economy? And how does the East, specifically Myr, react to House Tyrell creating firmly superior glass products?

Edited by Daenerys Targaryen's slave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Let's say that in 285 AC  Willas Tyrell finds the solution of creating clear glass.With the help of an alchemist, along the years, Willa's creates superb Telescopes, Binoculars, Microscopes, etc.

 

How does this effect the economy? And how does the East, specifically Myr, react to House Tyrell creating firmly superior glass products?

You should ask the author how this would change his story that he is two decades into 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Not the story, but the economy.

I can't imagine that Myr would be okay with one of their most lucrative products being made completely irrelevant.

you assume that the author would let that happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Nope. Unlike robots, glass is a product already in the making, part of the economy.

Ok I got one how would an introduction of a minimum price per unit of alcohol by Aegon the Conqueror affect the Reach, would the Arbor diversify into leisure to supplement their economy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a serious note, I think it's important to also think about the demand for those kinds of lenses, considering it's a bit of a luxury good. The people that come to mind for me are maester's (including those at the Citadel), scholarly inclined highborn, and ship captains (spyglasses/telescopes). And once you buy one you don't necessarily need to buy another for a long time... Unless you like collecting telescopes...

And if you've already invested in a Myrish one, how economical is it to spend (likely) more gold on buying this one? How much does Myr actually rely on this monopoly on the market that they have?

If you just wanted a way for House Tyrell/the Reach to be in conflict with Myr it'd be more understandable to have them disrupt the Myrish lace market. Lace is either made from animal products or crops, which is more in tune with the interests of the house. Perhaps they come up with a technology to make weaving more intricate or quick (e.g., bobbin or filet lace). You hear more about myrish lace in the courts than lenses as well, meaning it's a more in-demand market. It's all the rage with highborn ladies of means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 10:29 PM, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

 

Not the story, but the economy.

 

I can't imagine that Myr would be okay with one of their most lucrative products being made completely irrelevant.

What would Myr do? Invade 7 Kingdoms or sue them for patent rights?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tygett Lannister said:

What would Myr do? Invade 7 Kingdoms or sue them for patent rights?

Pretty much nothing. Patents were pretty much non-existent in the middle ages. Apparently Venice did have patents for glass making, but they were for ten years. Unless they conduct a bilateral trade agreement with the Iron Throne, probably granting them favorable trade rights in Myr, they likely are going to get shit for compensation or enforcement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It turns out that making eye glasses with magenta lenses turns the wights into their pre dead selves. Once you capture the wight, and strap the goggles on, the wavelengths of Walker powered mind control starts reversing, and through the animation energy, the brain regains it’s former functionality and memory network. The sales of the lenses will follow a geometric progression. Willas will be elected the new Chief Technology Officer of Westeros Incorporated, as he will bring corporate structure to the governing body of the survivors of the hostile takeover;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Pretty much nothing. Patents were pretty much non-existent in the middle ages. Apparently Venice did have patents for glass making, but they were for ten years. Unless they conduct a bilateral trade agreement with the Iron Throne, probably granting them favorable trade rights in Myr, they likely are going to get shit for compensation or enforcement. 

oh rly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×