Dissecting Names

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

On 20/11/2017 at 9:47 PM, Pikachu101 said:

Does anyone know what Tyrion means? 

I'm really not sure. There is a name that is similar in pronunciation, Tirion, which means "gentle". It can be used for boys but it is usually used for girls. That is a real-world example. Spelling-wise, the element Tyr- could hold allusions to the Norse-Germanic God of Law, Justice and War and Tyr itself means "god" in Old Norse. The element -rion could refer to the Irish word for "king" and the -ion could be an allusion to the word "lion" or just an elaboration of Tyr.

Funnily enough, the God Tyr was known as the "maimed god" because he only had one hand, which is a better allusion to Jaime. However, Tyrion's feeling of comradery with the cripples, bastards and broken things means that Tyrion feels metaphorically maimed while his brother literally becomes maimed? (Incidentally, Jaime is probably related to the many variants of the name James, which means "supplanter", which is self-explanatory. As has been stated above, Cersei is probably a creative variation on Circe, which is a reference to the Greek sorceresses from the Odyssey who turned men into pigs and was exiled to an island for murdering her husband.)

1 hour ago, Pikachu101 said:

Lyanna means "god has answered" wonder if this links to Jon's name meaning "gift from god" and him being Azor Ahai ...

Nice. God has answered with his gift. Depending on which God gave it, it may or not be a good gift lol 

On 20/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Pikachu101 said:

Does anyone know what Tyrion means? 

I think Tyrion sounds like Tyrian. Tyrian Purple was produced by the ancient Phoenicians from Murex snails they found around a place called Tyre. Because they had to use thousands of snails to dye a small amount of fabric, clothing in Tyrian Purple colour was very expensive. Only very rich people, like royalty or high nobility, could afford it. Well, Tyrion is from a rich family. 

Tyre is also a Biblical name meaning strength; rock; sharp. Tyrion has a sharp mind, and his home is Casterly Rock. He may not have that much physical strength, but you could argue a lifetime of putting up with people’s prejudices has made him strong in character.  

On 2017. 11. 19. at 11:41 PM, Faera said:

On reflection, looking at the name Sandor, it could have a similar source for its name. I think either Behind the Name or Wiki also note that the name Alexander can also be related to "helper of men" or "protector of men" as well. The aspect of "helping" and "defending" feels like it fits Sandor more than Sansa, given that he often ended up doing the "right thing" despite himself. Plus Sandor/Alesander doesn't feel like much of a leap. Many of GRRM's names feel like twists and creative spellings/variations on our own names.

On 2017. 11. 20. at 11:42 AM, Luddagain said:

Some names sort of deliberately link to foreign parts of Europe  so Sandor and Gregor have a very Russian or Slavic feel.

On 2017. 11. 20. at 7:21 PM, YOVMO said:

I always wondered in Sandor was French...as in Sans D'or or "without gold"

Sandor (Sándor) is an existing name, which is neither Slavic, nor French, but is the Hungarian version of Alexander. I wonder if there could be a connection between Sandor Clegane and Alexander the Great, but I don't see much, except for the fact that they are both warriors. In Hungarian Sándor is a very  common name, and you can find lots of people with this name, including a famous 19th century outlaw (this "connection" is probably accidental though). 

Frey may refer to Freya, but it also evokes the various meanings of fray.

On ‎21‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 1:09 AM, LiveFirstDieLater said:

"Daenerys" is also an anagram of "Ser Dayne"

From a SSM

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

Rhaella + Ser Arthur Dayne = Danaerys!

On ‎25‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 0:27 AM, Davos the Dragonslayer said:

It is in all turkic languages. Qar in azeri turkic, kar in anatolian turkic and so on.

On ‎25‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 2:06 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I love this. Very ironic. 

This is Maggy the Frog's prophecy, part of it, anyway.

"Aye." Malice gleamed in Maggy's yellow eyes. "Queen you shall be . . . until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear."

The old woman was not done with her, however. "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds," she said. "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

A few things on Val

Val looked at him with pale grey eyes. "He always climbed too fast." She was as fair as he'd remembered, slender, full-breasted, graceful even at rest, with high sharp cheekbones and a thick braid of honey-colored hair that fell to her waist.

He is stone and she is flame. The king's eyes were blue bruises, sunk deep in a hollow face. He wore grey plate, a fur-trimmed cloak of cloth-of-gold flowing from his broad shoulders. His breastplate had a flaming heart inlaid above his own. Girding his brows was a red-gold crown with points like twisting flames. Val stood beside him, tall and fair. They had crowned her with a simple circlet of dark bronze, yet she looked more regal in bronze than Stannis did in gold. Her eyes were grey and fearless, unflinching. Beneath an ermine cloak, she wore white and gold. Her honey-blond hair had been done up in a thick braid that hung over her right shoulder to her waist. The chill in the air had put color in her cheeks.

The outside air seemed even colder than before. Across the castle, he could see candlelight shining from the windows of the King's Tower. Val stood on the tower roof, gazing up at the Wall. Stannis kept her closely penned in rooms above his own, but he did allow her to walk the battlements for exercise. She looks lonely, Jon thought. Lonely, and lovely. Ygritte had been pretty in her own way, with her red hair kissed by fire, but it was her smile that made her face come alive. Val did not need to smile; she would have turned men's heads in any court in the wide world.

With the little monster, like as not. He's taken a liking to one o' them milkmaids, I hear."

He has taken a liking to Val. Her sister was a queen, why not her?

Valonqar = Val on snow.

Valonqar is Val confirmed!

Sorry to derail but I couldn't resist, I just had to crack these pots.

To get back on track, here's a small addition

Kermit somehow reminded me the word "kürmet", an Old Turkic word with the meaning very strong.

Kermit Tully, a young lord who commanded the "Lads" during the Dance of the Dragons, slays Borros Baratheon, a grown man. And since we all know how big and strong Baratheons are, I thought it could be related.

22 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Frey may refer to Freya, but it also evokes the various meanings of fray.

Freya had a brother called Freyr, though he's more typically called just Frey in English, who was a fertility god of marriage, which suits Walder Frey quite well. Clubbed together with the noun "fray", referring to a scramble or contest or quarrel, it suits the family situation really, really well as they are all clambering to be the new Lord of the Crossing after their overly fertile father finally dies because their current few potential heirs will likely kick most of them out.

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Valonqar = Val on snow.

Valonqar is Val confirmed!

Sorry to derail but I couldn't resist, I just had to crack these pots.

Even though I know you were joking, that would be so good. Val is a younger sibling too, so, she's as likely as any other younger siblings outside the obvious Tyrion and Jaime theories.

As for Val's name, as I said before on the face of it she and her sister both seem to have been named after nature-based things (Dalla = "Dale" and Val = "Vale" or "Valley"). It can also be a short-form for names like Valen/Valerie/Valentina, which all mean "Strong" However, the name "Val" might also have allusions to various Norse words, such as Valkyries and Valhalla, with the word Valr used in both words to refer to the dead or the slain. It might also be linked to the word "walh" = foreigner, other, stranger. All fun little indicators that Val might play a bigger role than we may realise.

2 hours ago, Faera said:

Even though I know you were joking, that would be so good. Val is a younger sibling too, so, she's as likely as any other younger siblings outside the obvious Tyrion and Jaime theories.

As for Val's name, as I said before on the face of it she and her sister both seem to have been named after nature-based things (Dalla = "Dale" and Val = "Vale" or "Valley"). It can also be a short-form for names like Valen/Valerie/Valentina, which all mean "Strong" However, the name "Val" might also have allusions to various Norse words, such as Valkyries and Valhalla, with the word Valr used in both words to refer to the dead or the slain. It might also be linked to the word "walh" = foreigner, other, stranger. All fun little indicators that Val might play a bigger role than we may realise.

Am I? Then why did I go through all that effort and put some quotes? Val on Qar is real people! 

Back to being serious, Wasn't Jon thought of Val being like a warrior princess? So Val being strong and being Valkyrie makes more sense than Val being Vale.

23 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Back to being serious, Wasn't Jon thought of Val being like a warrior princess? So Val being strong and being Valkyrie makes more sense than Val being Vale.

Oh, I agree. I really do think there is more to Val's name than the nature theme that seems to follow all the wildling women. Still, the "Val" aspect of the word "Valkyrie" is associated with death and strangers, so there is that too.

Durran > Duran in Turkish means standing, from durmak, to stay or to stop. There is also the name Turan, land of the Tur in Persian and refers to Central Asia - I think there is a connection to Turkic peoples that live there. 

Don > don has several different meanings in Turkish, don means underwear, donanmak means dress up or be equipped. Don also means hail, as in precipitation type, and donanma means fleet. So Durrandon could mean standing hail and refer to the long night and the hearsh winter? 

Artur is a Turkish male name and means attractive - not used by Turkish people though. 

Dayne > Dane aka Great Dane - I am talking about the dog. Sirius is known as the dog star, the brightest star and related to Ancient Egyptian history and mythology. House Dayne seem to be inspired by Ancient Egypt? 

1 hour ago, Faera said:

Oh, I agree. I really do think there is more to Val's name than the nature theme that seems to follow all the wildling women. Still, the "Val" aspect of the word "Valkyrie" is associated with death and strangers, so there is that too.

Now that you mention, there was a thread, or a thread containing several posts, regarding the names of Val and Dalla. I'll add it here if search yields anything    Here 

Well stanger is the god of death as we all know. She may yet brind death to someone(Shireen?) But Val and perhaps Dalla may actually be a strangers to the wildlings themselves.

"There sits the only king I mean to bow my knee to, m'lords," he thundered. "The King in the North!"

This is Greatjon. Since he is a great lord and his grandfather thought Hother has the makings of a maester, we can safely assume they have maesters in Last Hearth.

"Before I go, one question. Did you kill Jarl, my lord?"

And this is Val.

Her, a wildling's, speech is proper when even maester trained Greatjon uses "m'lord".

Archived