Dissecting Names

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Yes, him too. 

There is also another Ossifer. 

Ossifer Lipps in Alayne sample chapter. 

Now, Ossifer Plumm died while having sex with his wife, Elaena Targaryen, one of the maidens from the Maidenvault. 

The second Ossifer, Lipps, was flirting with Myranda Royce. Myranda's husband died while having sex with her. 

Myranda's sigil looks like a moon in prison. Moon, a symbol of woman. 

Moon in a prison, maiden in a tower. 

A husband having sex with his bride and dying. 

Elaena and Alayne. 

Suspiciously similar occurrences, don't you think?

ETA: Royce is an old name derived from the word rose, as someone said before.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:38 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Roose is to boast, praise.

Bolton is Bolt(house, dwelling-place, mansion, hall, castle, temple”) + Tun(enclosure, homestead, town”)

So home of boasting perhaps?

And a ruse is an action intended to deceive someone; a trick. 

I don't know if it's mentioned before but Durran is to dare.

Durran godsgrief certainly dared when he took Elenei to wife.

This one was mentioned before I think, Elenei is coming from Helen of Troy.

The name Helen is proposed to be related to sun, torch, moon, venus.

Helen is Daughter of Zeus and Leda, sister of Castor and Pollux and of Clytemnestra and wife of Menelaus. Paris kidnapped her and War of Troy started.

Now when you mentioned Durran, every time I hear Argella Durrandon, I think of the hardened clay in Minecraft.  I just can't help myself. The name just evokes it.  

I have been suffering with this crossover for a while.

"The wolves can be only tamed with bones." 

There is this purple-eyed dragon. Wolves. Squids. Rose. Ocelot. Bat. Spider. Zombies.

There is Alium. 

The last update had Trident and Turtles, not to mention Cod, Parrot or Seaweed. 

Next time I expect deer, comet and dwarf.

Petyr - Originating from greek to mean stone. Littlefingers old sigil is the stone titan of Braavos.

Bael - One of the seven princes of Hell. He was in charge of gathering knowledge, and satisfying all cravings. He was said to take the form of a human, cat, and a toad.

ish - Having the characteristics of

Littlefinger is a servant to the three-eyed crow (death), which is also why he chose a mockingbird as his sigil. He is mimicking what the crow wants him to do by setting people against each other, and causing war. Now Bael is said to take the form of a human, cat, and a toad, while there is no toad that comes to mind, there is a cat. Balerion the cat is a vicious, one-eared tom cat that prowls around the red keep. The Order of the Greenhand did an awesome video on the connections between Littlefinger and Bael if you want to go more in depth.

On 8/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, kleevedge said:

Petyr - Originating from greek to mean stone. Littlefingers old sigil is the stone titan of Braavos.

Bael - One of the seven princes of Hell. He was in charge of gathering knowledge, and satisfying all cravings. He was said to take the form of a human, cat, and a toad.

ish - Having the characteristics of

Littlefinger is a servant to the three-eyed crow (death), which is also why he chose a mockingbird as his sigil. He is mimicking what the crow wants him to do by setting people against each other, and causing war. Now Bael is said to take the form of a human, cat, and a toad, while there is no toad that comes to mind, there is a cat. Balerion the cat is a vicious, one-eared tom cat that prowls around the red keep. The Order of the Greenhand did an awesome video on the connections between Littlefinger and Bael if you want to go more in depth.

Oh wow, I had no idea the name Peter originated from the Greek word for stone. I have very little doubt that Petyr is the stone giant in Bran's vision. 

21 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh wow, I had no idea the name Peter originated from the Greek word for stone. I have very little doubt that Petyr is the stone giant in Bran's vision. 

Ya he could also be the giant in the Ghost of High Hearts vision, "I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow."

13 hours ago, kleevedge said:

Ya he could also be the giant in the Ghost of High Hearts vision, "I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow."

No doubt, but that vision did not include stone. 

On 4/14/2018 at 10:37 AM, By Odin's Beard said:

Let's look at the Martell family, with the hypothesis that they represent the weirwoods.

Martell means "war hammer" in French

Oberyn = Oberon Earlier Auberon, from Old French Alberon, partial loan translation from Middle High German Alberich, literally ‘elf king, fairy king’.  "A fictional character in medieval and Renaissance literature, the king of the fairies, appearing for example in William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream."

(astronomy, moons) The outermost major moon of Uranus (Sky god in Greek myth).

Oberyn: king of the fairies, child of the Sky God, War Hammer, called the Red Viper (sounds like a Red Comet)

Doran means "they brown" in Spanish, also "exile, wanderer or stranger" in Irish, Hebrew name of Greek origin, meaning "gift."

Doran's wife Mellario,  mellar is Spanish for "to nick, to dent"  "to diminish, to lessen, to reduce"  and Latin mellāre  "make or collect honey" and malar is Spanish for "kill"

weirwood paste = honey, the weirwoods bleed people dry to make "honey."

Both names indicate the declining power of the weirwoods,

Many of the weirwood's avatars are wanderers, collecting information, but Doran hardly ever goes anywhere because of his poor health. 

The weirwood Brienne sees is described as "pale stranger"

"That's the Stranger coming, Penny. The Black Goat, the Pale Child, Him of Many Faces, call him what you will. That's death."

Doran means "gift", the gift that the Faceless Men give is Death.

"the Stranger was neither male nor female, yet both, ever the outcast, the wanderer from far places, less and more than human, unknown and unknowable. Here the face was a black oval, a shadow with stars for eyes."

The weirwood wandered here from far places, it is not native to Planetos.

Elia, the Prophet Elijah.  "God performed many miracles through Elijah, including resurrection (raising the dead), bringing fire down from the sky, and entering Heaven alive 'by fire'. The Book of Malachi prophesies Elijah's return 'before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD', making him a harbinger of the Messiah"

Weirwoods raise the dead, and they were fire brought down by the sky, and they can bring fire down from the sky.  Get hyped, because the great and terrible day of the Lord is coming soon.

"He jabbed his bony finger back at comet and castle. "There comes the Harbinger! Cleanse yourselves, the gods cry out, lest ye be cleansed! Bathe in the wine of righteousness, or you shall be bathed in fire! Fire!"

They all have reference to celestial bodies in their names, Oberyn a moon, Doran a wanderer (planet), Elia a meteor shower, and their last name means "war hammer" --they arrived on a weirwood asteroid, Red Comet.

I am with you on Doran being the Stranger but i think his last name Martell derives from Charles Martell. GRRM said the Rhoynar were based off the Moors, and Mors Martell happened to have married Nymeria. The Moors eastern expansion ended at the Rhone river and was ended by a man named charles martell. This sounds a lot how Nymeria had fled the rhoyne and instead of being defeated by a Martell, she married one. I got to give credit for this theory to Order of the Greenhand

Random thought but I was thinking about Euron being on Oakenshield could be a reference to Thorin Oakenshield. Thorin meaning thunder and Euron saying

I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last.

Just a random ass connection which probably doesn't mean anything. Also he ironically captains a ship called silence

On 8/6/2018 at 5:21 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Also remember the Bael, a citrus fruit. Whoever "eats petyr's fruits" they get a sour taste. Ned with Goldcloaks, Cersei with Joff's betrothal and wedding... B)

• 2 weeks later...

The best I can come up with for R'hllor is

arrollar (first-person singular present arrollo, first-person singular preterite arrollé, past participle arrollado)

1. to dumbfound
  2. to roll, to roll away
  3. to sweep away
  4. to wind
  5. to run over, knock down

The name R'hllor has an obvious Lovecraftian cosmic horror influence, and I think he is the red comet and he is going to sweep away the whole civilization on Planetos when he comes back around the sun.

I just read "The Color out of Space" and there is a lot that George pulled from that story.  A meteor lands on Earth that is actually an alien, it poisons the surrounding land and sucks the lifeforce of the creatures around it.  It lives in the bottom of a well, it makes the trees move on their own, it drives people insane, it attracts lightning to itself to absorb the energy, and eventually it launches itself back into space.

Gregor Clegane

Eliphas Lévi, in Le Grand Arcane ("The Great Mystery", 1868) identifies "egregors" with the tradition concerning the "Watchers", the fathers of the nephilim, describing them as "terrible beings" that "crush us without pity because they are unaware of our existence."

"the Grigori are countless soldiers of human appearance, 'their size being greater than that of great giants' "

Nahar is hebrew and arabic for "river" or perhaps "kill"

Jogos means "rightful" in hungarian and Nhai means "to chew" in Vietnamese, the "rightful eaters"

On 7/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Roose is to boast, praise.

Bolton is Bolt(house, dwelling-place, mansion, hall, castle, temple”) + Tun(enclosure, homestead, town”)

So home of boasting perhaps?

Cool info about Bolt.    Thanks!  I didn't know that the name is associated with homes/dwelling and it is actually my last name.

On 5/14/2018 at 3:14 PM, Seams said:

Why does GRRM give us several examples of two people with the same first name going head-to-head against each other?

Areo and Arys are another example. Hotah even points this out in his inner monologue.

"Even their names sounded oddly alike: Areo and Arys." (AFFC, The Captain of Guards)

Both have a few things in common - they are sworn shields to high nobles and have taken oaths of celibacy.

5 hours ago, Lynesse said:

Areo and Arys are another example. Hotah even points this out in his inner monologue.

"Even their names sounded oddly alike: Areo and Arys." (AFFC, The Captain of Guards)

Both have a few things in common - they are sworn shields to high nobles and have taken oaths of celibacy.

Very nice catch! I wonder whether they also tie into Aerys, the late king.

I've wondered whether Areo Hotah's surname involves wordplay on "oath". We know that Arys has broken his celibacy oath in his sexual activity with Arianne. (Hmm. I wonder whether her name is the female version of Areo / Arys?)

After my initial puzzlement over the two Humfreys going head-to-head, I sorted out a complex string of symbols (some might say a ridiculously far-fetched string of symbols) and concluded that the two of them represent the opposition of "bitter" and "sweet" in GRRM's world of literary themes. He has said that the conclusion of the series will be "bittersweet," and I think he is giving us hints all along about that outcome.

So the Areo / Arys conflict might be a similar conflict. If the "oath" association is correct, it might be a conflict between keeping one's vows and breaking one's vows.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, Seams said:

Very nice catch! I wonder whether they also tie into Aerys, the late king.

I've wondered whether Areo Hotah's surname involves wordplay on "oath". We know that Arys has broken his celibacy oath in his sexual activity with Arianne. (Hmm. I wonder whether her name is the female version of Areo / Arys?)

After my initial puzzlement over the two Humfreys going head-to-head, I sorted out a complex string of symbols (some might say a ridiculously far-fetched string of symbols) and concluded that the two of them represent the opposition of "bitter" and "sweet" in GRRM's world of literary themes. He has said that the conclusion of the series will be "bittersweet," and I think he is giving us hints all along about that outcome.

So the Areo / Arys conflict might be a similar conflict. If the "oath" association is correct, it might be a conflict between keeping one's vows and breaking one's vows.

Oakheart could also be something oath related

On 4/28/2018 at 12:10 AM, Luddagain said:

Odin's Beard

Yes Jon has some Baldur connotations BUT I think GRRM who knows his mythology has also woven into his story in addition to Norse and Welsh mythology other key Indo European core beliefs - especially the idea of the dying god and his rebirth.

Now the Baldur story is one such myth and I am inclined to think that Jon and Bran are BOTH Baldur. Jon is the dying winter component - hence the link with the name Jack Frost who was a European winter "dying God."  Another name was Jon Barleycorn. He was killed at harvest time. Bran is the rebirth Summer element. Hodor's body I think is the vehicle for this rebirth. It is of course also possible that Hodor is Jon Barleycorn hence the concept of body sharing - like a seed in a grain of corn.

The Jon Barleycorn reference with regard to Jon is further strengthened by the appearance of a black brother whose name is Tom Barleycorn. The word barleycorn comes up a few times in the novels, but Tom seems to be there to warn us that we might think of it as a proper noun as well. 

On 8/14/2018 at 5:32 PM, kleevedge said:

Random thought but I was thinking about Euron being on Oakenshield could be a reference to Thorin Oakenshield. Thorin meaning thunder <snip>

There is another Oakenshield in the story, which is one of the castles of the Night's Watch, and it is given to Tormund. I do think this is a nod towards Thorin Oakenshield. Tormund is described like this:

He was not a tall man, Tormund Giantsbane, but the gods had given him a broad chest and massive belly. Mance Rayder had named him Tormund Horn-Blower for the power of his lungs, and was wont to say that Tormund could laugh the snow off mountaintops. In his wroth, his bellows reminded Jon of a mammoth trumpeting.

Not a tall man and Horn-Blower for the power of his lungs: We have both the dwarf and the thunder reference in the same quote. 

Roose definitely refers to a ruse. Too bad the characters in-world don't dissect names. 

A bit of fun Martin seems to have had some fun with the Clegane brothers. Both names are initially derived from Greek. Alexander in case of Sandor is a compound name. The prefix alex- designates something that repels or defends against. It is a component do the greek words for bulletproof, lightning rod and parachute denoting that these items protect from bullets, lightning and fall. Thus Sandor is a defender against men. Gregor in modern greek means fast or quick, but its original meaning was more mental, meaning to awaken, to be alert. Pretty apt names for dogs, no? 

Alexander was also the epithet of Paris, the one who stole Helen of Troy. Now, that is where his propensity comes from. Though Sandor after two tries still hasn't gotten it right. Gregor also seems to have an awakening moment at the hands of Qybern. 

Archived