Farmer's Life For Me

Dr. Pepper

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

This is so badass.  My mind is blown.  Spent hours googling last night.  I'm pretty well convinced to not get started with any animals until we can afford to include a donkey.  Did you have to do any specific training for the donkey to know how to herd the goats?  Did he just naturally defend them all?

How many acres do you keep?

I did nothing to train him in any regard. He just is who he is. I don’t do the goats anymore and moved, reduced my herd to two horses and the donkey. In the goat era I was on 11.6 acres, now they are on 5. Ed remains indespensible

22 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

@Elder Sister, how are your bees?

They swarmed last year - I haven't had bees this year at all.  I've been thinking about getting a couple of hives and giving it a go again - my old hive is still out there somewhere...they visit my yard and I swear at them for being ungrateful.  :D

3 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

They swarmed last year - I haven't had bees this year at all.  I've been thinking about getting a couple of hives and giving it a go again - my old hive is still out there somewhere...they visit my yard and I swear at them for being ungrateful.  :D

RUDE!   Give it another shot!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, Lily Valley said:

Geese aren't CUDDLY.  Donkeys are CUDDLY and CUTE.

I guess you've never been kicked, stepped on or bitten by a donkey.  Ever try to give a donkey de-wormer med when the beast was trying to buck, kick, rear, roll and bite you to prevent that?  Good times!   Donkeys can be ridden and they can pull carts.  But long eared doggies they are not.

edt:  this includes mini donkeys, which describes the above behavior.  The Uni of Nevada, Reno does use donkeys to guard it's sheep flocks from coyotes.  

My neighbor down the block has chickens and bees in her back yard, in the city.  Some cities zoning laws allow for small livestock.  The chickens have destroyed every green plant in her yard and it's pretty barren.  Gotta keep those birds penned up for really small scale farming. 

50 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

My neighbor down the block has chickens and bees in her back yard, in the city.  Some cities zoning laws allow for small livestock.  The chickens have destroyed every green plant in her yard and it's pretty barren.  Gotta keep those birds penned up for really small scale farming. 

Yeah, I remember that sort of thing from the homestead days.  We fenced off a patch of raw wilderness 50-60 feet each way around the chicken coop.  Talking fireweed, bamboo of sorts, tough as wire brush, small and big trees, that sort of thing.  Inside of a few weeks, the chickens ate or killed damn near all of it.  Turned the enclosure into a sort of black stain on the ground where only the biggest, toughest plants survived (literal trees). 

41 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Greenhouse!

That's what I go with these days: old plastic storage totes on rude tables (made from damaged interior doors and scraps) inside a greenhouse.  You grow stuff in native dirt outdoors, you get weeds.  Lots of weeds.  Pulling weeds sucks.  You also get nasty things that like to munch on roots and plants. 

Archived