NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't believe how unenthusiastic I am about the Wolves this year. Their style of play is unwatchable. It's like the four main dudes are just trading playing iso ball. Pass the freaking ball! 

Reminds me of when LeBron came back to Cleveland and I thought it would be fun.  It wasn't.  He brought all of his drama with him in year one, and the entire season was one giant bitch fit from various players on the Cavs, along with tons of shade on Instagram and Twitter.  I remember when the team added Frye and Jefferson and they basically just called out everyone on what a bunch of dumb fucks they were being.  :lol:

Team is fun right now, though.  Only took four years for them to not be a joyless mess in the regular season. 

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Bagley is a stud, I just can’t shake the Duke stigmatism from my thoughts of him in the league.  For most of the ‘15 season and even up to the draft, everyone thought Jahlil Okafor was a surefire first overall pick as well.

Not gonna lie, I thought Okafor was gonna be a superstar. 

9 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I am already stressed out about the draft, though it's months away. My opinion on whom to draft changes every hour, and that assumes we are still in top-3 pick range. At any one point in the last month, I've decided on Bagley, Doncic, or Ayton as our sure-fire star. 

Yes, we need to get top 3 badly. I haven't seen too much of Ayton, or any of Doncic, but any one of those 3 seem to be a pretty safe pick from all the stuff I've been reading... and the internet is never wrong.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Not gonna lie, I thought Okafor was gonna be a superstar. 

Yes, we need to get top 3 badly. I haven't seen too much of Ayton, or any of Doncic, but any one of those 3 seem to be a pretty safe pick from all the stuff I've been reading... and the internet is never wrong.

Don’t forget Michael Porter.  He is potentially great if you are willing to take an injury risk.

Honestly, he seems destined to the Sixers where every top pick sits out a year before they play.

An agreement was in place to move the Charlotte Hornets to Louisville in 2002

But UofL Athletics Director Tom Jurich and basketball coach Rick Pitino blocked it because they did not want to share an arena (or a town) with a pro team.

They went to New Orleans instead.

I could have been watching AD, Boogie, and Darius Miller all this time! :tantrum: 

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

An agreement was in place to move the Charlotte Hornets to Louisville in 2002

But UofL Athletics Director Tom Jurich and basketball coach Rick Pitino blocked it because they did not want to share an arena (or a town) with a pro team.

They went to New Orleans instead.

I could have been watching AD, Boogie, and Darius Miller all this time! :tantrum: 

I've always wondered if a pro team would work in Louisville. It seems like a big enough market with a rich basketball tradition. Hell, it might be the only state that prefers basketball to football. I feel like the league needs to expand to 32 teams, and Louisville might be a great location for the second team (Seattle obviously gets a team in this scenario). 

Now here's where Commissioner Tywin really fixes the NBA. First things first, there are no more conferences or even divisions as we know them now. One month before the season, we're having a lottery. Teams will be randomly selected and placed into 8 new divisions (which for the time being can just be called A-H, but we'll come up with some sick names for them). Each team plays their new division rivals four times, twice at each teams place, and you play all non-division teams twice, once at both teams place. This leaves us with a 68 game schedule, which would give players more time to rest between games and does away with resting players during games. It also makes games more valuable and the fans will be more invested in each game. And it does away with some of the problems with traveling.

Now the fun stuff: playoffs. Each division champion gets slotted 1-8 by their record. Then we can do one of two things. We can either let the next best eight teams in and slot them by record, or we can let in each second place team and slot them by record. I prefer the former, but am perfectly fine with the latter. What makes this fun is you might randomly get a division that has Golden State, Cleveland and Houston in it. Do we leave a top 10 team out or not?

Anyways, we're also shortening up the rounds. The 1st round is now three games, the second is now five, and the semifinals and finals will remain at seven. The reason for doing this is to allow for the greater chance of upsets. The 14th best team can beat the 3rd best team if the defend home court and pick one of the two road games off. I think this will foster great competition.

And at the end of this gauntlet of a season, we crown a champion, go into the offseason, and do it all again next year.

Whatchya think?

Dunno if anyone caught Celtics-Rockets, but the Celtics absolutely stole one tonight. They were down by as much as 26 and managed to get within 1 with a few seconds left. Then Marcus Smart drew two consecutive offensive fouls on Harden (a little floppery, but Harden lost his cool) and the Celtics escaped after not having led at all until the final couple of seconds.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:36 AM, Red Tiger said:

I knew OKC would be a dissappointment, but I didn't expect them to be 8-12 at this point. Cracks are beginning to show in that defense.

Looks like Melo accepting his role playing off the ball and letting Russ be Russ, has turned this team around. They could be very dangerous come playoff time. Need to make a move to add a little depth though.

Isaiah Thomas debuted for the Cavs tonight and he looked pretty damn good.  Scored 17 points in 19 minutes off the bench and put up a +17.  He and Wade were just tearing it up together.

Also, Wade looks like a different player on the Cavs this year.  Dude looked borderline done last year, but he's been one of the best defensive two guards in the NBA this year and should get serious Sixth Man of the Year consideration.  I thought he'd look better with the Cavs than he did with the Bulls last year, but I didn't think he'd look this good.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was a savage beatdown the Raps put on the Cavs tonight.  Sure it likely was cause LeBron decided to open Drake's new club the night before but whatever.  I also know that's likely not the result of a series but I do think the Raps have a much better chance against them this year.  One big reason?  Isiah Thomas.  I like IT alot and he is really good, but he is not good against the Raps particularly when Lowry is out.  Why?  Then he gets smothered by Delon Wright.  Wright may not be a superstar in the league but he is really quick on D and is legit a foot taller than IT at the PG position. IT couldn't do jack shit whenever Delon was on the floor.

I just want this season to be over so LeBron can bolt to Houston or something. I don't even care if the Cavs don't make the playoffs, EVERY player on this team should seek another organization ASAP.

Even when the Cavs win, watching this team play is just awful. I can't STAND teams that play lousy defense and rebound like shit. All these old legs and all this garbage about effort. Come on man, what does the media expect to happen, that this team is suddenly gonna find the fountain of youth. Gawdayumn, at least Kyrie is having fun on a team when he's healthy, but this is just miserable all-around. I am DISGUSTED.

On 1/19/2018 at 8:08 AM, Red Tiger said:

I just want this season to be over so LeBron can bolt to Houston or something. I don't even care if the Cavs don't make the playoffs, EVERY player on this team should seek another organization ASAP.

Even when the Cavs win, watching this team play is just awful. I can't STAND teams that play lousy defense and rebound like shit. All these old legs and all this garbage about effort. Come on man, what does the media expect to happen, that this team is suddenly gonna find the fountain of youth. Gawdayumn, at least Kyrie is having fun on a team when he's healthy, but this is just miserable all-around. I am DISGUSTED.

Maybe you should relax and go out for a walk.  I feel for you after today's loss.  

Regardless of their anemic defense, LeBron is still the best player in the NBA and the King of the East.  The Cavs will likely trade for DeAndre and/or Lou Williams.  When LeBron's 7-year streak of Eastern Conference championships ends, I'll stop thinking his team is the favorite to go to the Finals.  

However, 2018 looks like it could be the year his streak snaps.  The Cavs will not sweep the first two rounds of the playoffs and be fresh for the E.C.F.

32 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Maybe you should relax and go out for a walk.  I feel for you after today's loss.  

Regardless of their anemic defense, LeBron is still the best player in the NBA and the King of the East.  The Cavs will likely trade for DeAndre and/or Lou Williams.  When LeBron's 7-year streak of Eastern Conference championships ends, I'll stop thinking his team is the favorite to go to the Finals.  

However, 2018 looks like it could be the year his streak snaps.  The Cavs will not sweep the first two rounds of the playoffs and be fresh for the E.C.F.

Oh im not mad and a loss does not bother me. Im disgusted because of the brand of basketball that is actually being played. I just don't like watching any of it. If a team I like plays a nice brand of basketball and happens to lose, so be it, but this is just overall lousy.

8 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh im not mad and a loss does not bother me. Im disgusted because of the brand of basketball that is actually being played. I just don't like watching any of it. If a team I like plays a nice brand of basketball and happens to lose, so be it, but this is just overall lousy.

This has been the Cavs' regular season since LeBron came back.  He doesn't even remotely give a shit until the playoffs start and he's a constant drama queen, which is why the Cavs haven't been any fun to follow in the regular season despite being one of the best teams in the NBA since he returned.  Ironically, I watched damn near every Cavs game after he left and they were terrible, but now that he's back and they're a contender every year I barely watch the team until the playoffs start because I agree, it's disgusting the way they play sometimes.

19 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh im not mad and a loss does not bother me.

You're lucky, I feel like putting my fist through a wall when the Sixers continually give up double digit leads.

20 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Im disgusted because of the brand of basketball that is actually being played. I just don't like watching any of it. If a team I like plays a nice brand of basketball and happens to lose, so be it, but this is just overall lousy.

Yeah, my least favorite player has always been Carmello.  Continuos ISO plays are selfish and boring.  That and the fact that he appears to take rests on defense, make him a waste of talent in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

You're lucky, I feel like putting my fist through a wall when the Sixers continually give up double digit leads.

Yeah, my least favorite player has always been Carmello.  Continuos ISO plays are selfish and boring.  That and the fact that he appears to take rests on defense, make him a waste of talent in my eyes.

I was never a fan of him either. Not much of a passer, lousy defender, pretty good rebounder but didn't really become a post-presence like LeBron was for Miami, but hey as long as a player scores a ton of points people will love him.

Archived