NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

23 minutes ago, sperry said:

Their draft day trades were pretty impressive. Gave up nothing other than this year's late first and Jae Crowder, and got some really nice players. 

A lot of people killed them for giving up that first since LA was looking to get out from under Clarkson's contract anyway, but I think Nance is more than worth the late first.  The Cavs can play Nance now.  They may never be able to play that first round pick.  I'd rather have a capable PF/C who can play against Golden State than a late first that could easily bust.

What's interesting is the Cavs starters and OKC starters played to a standstill. But it was the new guys Nance, Clarkson, Hood that provided the edge. 

Though I do think it's only a matter of time before Nance takes over Thompson's role. He is now what Thompson once was. 

23 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

What's interesting is the Cavs starters and OKC starters played to a standstill. But it was the new guys Nance, Clarkson, Hood that provided the edge. 

Though I do think it's only a matter of time before Nance takes over Thompson's role. He is now what Thompson once was. 

All I know is that this Cavs team has been largely insufferable during the regular season since LeBron came back, so having a team full of young guys who like to move the ball and play scrappy defense feels incredibly refreshing.  It's like they traded for four Dellys.  

So the Wizards fell 27 points behind the Knicks before the Knicks suddenly remembered they weren't supposed to win games anymore and tanked like Greek Gods in the second half. I don't know who slipped Tim Hardaway Jr. some Benadryl in his Gatorade at halftime but bravo. 

We're basically at the All Star Game - the official kick off to tanking season - and I think we're in for the most epic tanking derby in memory. Other years have had a clear team that is so much worse than everyone else. Not this year. 6 teams have exactly 18 wins. 2 more have 19-20 wins and the Knicks desperately want to join this group. 9 teams jockeying to win the lottery.

Of that group the Nets are the only one with reasons to try as they don't posses their pick but they're pretty beaten up. Lakers would be the 10th team but they're in the same boat as the Nets...and with 23 wins I don't expect them to fall back into that group (unless Isaiah Thomas really is a Danny Ainge mole). 

Regardless, think it's going to be lit...and really embarrassing. 

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

So the Wizards fell 27 points behind the Knicks before the Knicks suddenly remembered they weren't supposed to win games anymore and tanked like Greek Gods in the second half. I don't know who slipped Tim Hardaway Jr. some Benadryl in his Gatorade at halftime but bravo. 

We're basically at the All Star Game - the official kick off to tanking season - and I think we're in for the most epic tanking derby in memory. Other years have had a clear team that is so much worse than everyone else. Not this year. 6 teams have exactly 18 wins. 2 more have 19-20 wins and the Knicks desperately want to join this group. 9 teams jockeying to win the lottery.

Of that group the Nets are the only one with reasons to try as they don't posses their pick but they're pretty beaten up. Lakers would be the 10th team but they're in the same boat as the Nets...and with 23 wins I don't expect them to fall back into that group (unless Isaiah Thomas really is a Danny Ainge mole). 

It's the disparity of talent in the league right now. Too many of the top 25 players are clustered together, and it's making the bottom of the league look dreadful. I'm not sure how you fix it though if guys are willing to take pay cuts to be on better teams.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Really need the Nets to remember how bad they are and lose a bunch more games.  I want a top five Cavs pick!

Sounds like this year has a lot of good players, so missing out on the top 5 might not be a big deal. 

Heard a crazy stat on the radio. The Rockets are now 28-1 when Harden, Paul and Capela start the game together.

The Warriors might need to look over their shoulders. Houston has caught them, and OKC isn't far behind. OKC might actually be a really bad playoff match up for the Dubs because they can get physical with them. 

Hard to believe in OKC, just seen them struggling so often and doing so poorly.

On the one hand you can say, well in a 7 game series they could be a difficult opponent for other teams and I tend to agree with that, they have that potential. But Golden State is surely too fluid and versatile to really be bothered by this OKC team.

Houston on the other hand, it took me a while to believe it, but they look legit. Maybe not good enough to beat GS legit, but better than any team in the East, or anyone else than GS. Harden has been phenomenal and Paul has had a strong season as well since he came back.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Hard to believe in OKC, just seen them struggling so often and doing so poorly.

On the one hand you can say, well in a 7 game series they could be a difficult opponent for other teams and I tend to agree with that, they have that potential. But Golden State is surely too fluid and versatile to really be bothered by this OKC team.

They're exactly the type of team that can give Golden State fits, though.  They've got a big who the Warriors really have no answer for in Adams, and beyond that they're a long, athletic, physical team, and those are exactly the types of teams the Warriors struggle with.  The Cavs beat them in 2016 by getting physical with them and by doing all the same dirty/illegal screens the Warriors are known for.  Granted, that was before Durant joined, but I still think that it's something they struggle with.  They're not a physically tough team, and adding Durant didn't change that.

They're exactly the type of team that can give Golden State fits, though.  They've got a big who the Warriors really have no answer for in Adams, and beyond that they're a long, athletic, physical team, and those are exactly the types of teams the Warriors struggle with.  The Cavs beat them in 2016 by getting physical with them and by doing all the same dirty/illegal screens the Warriors are known for.  Granted, that was before Durant joined, but I still think that it's something they struggle with.  They're not a physically tough team, and adding Durant didn't change that.

Thunder would have been a legitimate threat to the Warriors if Roberson hadn't gotten hurt. Unfortunately, they don't have anyone to replace him.

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

Thunder would have been a legitimate threat to the Warriors if Roberson hadn't gotten hurt. Unfortunately, they don't have anyone to replace him.

Yeah, he's definitely a big loss for them.  I still think they could give the Warriors some trouble without him, but I was kind of shocked they did nothing at the deadline knowing he was hurt.  OKC and Boston standing pat really surprised me.  Both of those teams desperately needed to make a move, and Boston especially because, at that point, we had no idea the Cavs would look so much better heading into the break.  The East felt there for the taking a week and a half ago.

As for OKC, the Warriors definitely look beatable this year.  The Thunder really should have been looking to make a move or two to give them an edge, especially since Paul George can walk this summer if things go poorly in the postseason. 

Yeah, he's definitely a big loss for them.  I still think they could give the Warriors some trouble without him, but I was kind of shocked they did nothing at the deadline knowing he was hurt.  OKC and Boston standing pat really surprised me.  Both of those teams desperately needed to make a move, and Boston especially because, at that point, we had no idea the Cavs would look so much better heading into the break.  The East felt there for the taking a week and a half ago.

As for OKC, the Warriors definitely look beatable this year.  The Thunder really should have been looking to make a move or two to give them an edge, especially since Paul George can walk this summer if things go poorly in the postseason. 

Nothing was available at a decent price. Thunder have to position themselves for more than just this year, because PG isn't going to resign if the cupboard is bare next year.

23 minutes ago, sperry said:

Nothing was available at a decent price. Thunder have to position themselves for more than just this year, because PG isn't going to resign if the cupboard is bare next year.

I don't know, man.  The Cavs got Rodney Hood and George Hill basically for free.  

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Yeah, I made that comment not realizing he was out for the year. That does change things a bit. 

On 2/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, Jaime L said:

Good thing there is no more pride left in Knicks fans. We'll take anything, and we'll eat a turd to get it. 

Archived