NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So much for that hot start, right?

Yeah I actually got excited for about five minutes.  Shoulda known better.

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I've got to say, you have an odd assortment of sports teams you root for (Yankees, Niners and Magic, right?)

Indeed I do.  Parents were from the bay area so dad made sure I was a niners fan.  Wasn't a tough sell in the early nineties.  He also wanted me and my brother to be (SF) Giants fans, and I still root for them, but growing up in upstate NY we could watch the Yanks every day.  Never got into the Knicks.  Not sure why (my brother's a Knicks fan), but I latched on to the Shaq/Penny era once the latter was drafted.  He was my favorite player, our family dog was named Penny.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO SEE HIS TERRIBLE HAIR FOUR TIMES A YEAR NOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Loved that hair!

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The one thing I don't get though is why wasn't LeBron double teamed?

Well, he'd been intentionally losing games for a month at that point, so why bother guarding him?  We just didn't know the team had already informed him of moves that they intended to make, which motivated LeBron to actually try to win for the first time since December. 

If you're LeBron, and staying isn't attractive with this revamped roster, and I can see why it wouldn't be, Houston jumps out in a big way as the team that would create a genuine and immediate challenge to Golden State. If he could somehow end up at OKC with George and Westbrook that would be similarly great, but I have no idea if there is any chance of that scenario.

Of course, in Houston, he would play with not one but two ball dominant players / ball handlers who love bringing up the ball, which is what he does as well. That's the thing that doesn't look so great. All the other stuff looks great, the basketball IQ and sheer amount of skill, the fact that all 3 guys shoot the ball quite well.

The Lakers..... maybe, assuming others come as well. But if George stays in OKC then I'd want to go to OKC somehow, who then need to offload Carmelo of course, which is hardly a loss given what we have seen this year.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The Lakers..... maybe, assuming others come as well. But if George stays in OKC then I'd want to go to OKC somehow, who then need to offload Carmelo of course, which is hardly a loss given what we have seen this year.

Westbrook, Lebron and George would be a delight to watch.  They're all capable of playing good D (and capable of playing very disinterested D), they can all shoot, attack and pass.  I don't know how Lebron would feel about shipping out Melo, since they're friends, but he has no part on such a roster.  Being a fan of both Lebron and Westbrook, I'd love to see it, and a showdown between Lebron/Westbrook and Curry/Durant would be so epic just for the staredowns alone. 

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

If you're LeBron, and staying isn't attractive with this revamped roster, and I can see why it wouldn't be, Houston jumps out in a big way as the team that would create a genuine and immediate challenge to Golden State. If he could somehow end up at OKC with George and Westbrook that would be similarly great, but I have no idea if there is any chance of that scenario.

Supposdely, LeBron is privately very happy with the moves that the Cavs made, and it's gone a long way toward bridging the relationship between him and the Cavs.  Private speculation from people close to LeBron is that he is much more likely to sign another 1+1 in Cleveland now than he was two days ago, and it's even possible he could do a five year max, although that depends almost entirely on if the Cavs can use the Brooklyn pick to trade for a star.  It's been said that LeBron might be willing to max out in an effort to recruit the right guy.

22 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah I actually got excited for about five minutes.  Shoulda known better.

They have talent though. They should be good soon, especially in a weak East.

Indeed I do.  Parents were from the bay area so dad made sure I was a niners fan.  Wasn't a tough sell in the early nineties.  He also wanted me and my brother to be (SF) Giants fans, and I still root for them, but growing up in upstate NY we could watch the Yanks every day.  Never got into the Knicks.  Not sure why (my brother's a Knicks fan), but I latched on to the Shaq/Penny era once the latter was drafted.  He was my favorite player, our family dog was named Penny.

Now that you say that I think you explained it once before.

Loved that hair!

You're dead to me. 

:P

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Supposdely, LeBron is privately very happy with the moves that the Cavs made, and it's gone a long way toward bridging the relationship between him and the Cavs.  Private speculation from people close to LeBron is that he is much more likely to sign another 1+1 in Cleveland now than he was two days ago, and it's even possible he could do a five year max, although that depends almost entirely on if the Cavs can use the Brooklyn pick to trade for a star.  It's been said that LeBron might be willing to max out in an effort to recruit the right guy.

I find that a little hard to believe. Every report I've seen describes a horrible relationship between LeBron, Gilbert and Cavs senior management. 

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Westbrook, Lebron and George would be a delight to watch.  They're all capable of playing good D (and capable of playing very disinterested D), they can all shoot, attack and pass.  I don't know how Lebron would feel about shipping out Melo, since they're friends, but he has no part on such a roster.  Being a fan of both Lebron and Westbrook, I'd love to see it, and a showdown between Lebron/Westbrook and Curry/Durant would be so epic just for the staredowns alone. 

If you're the NBA, such a matchup is absolutely mouthwatering.

It is to me as well. 

On a related note I sometimes hear arguments against LeBron moving West, saying that if he stays in the East he is at least guaranteed a spot in the NBA finals. I can't believe that would really be in his mind. What difference does it make to face Golden State in the Conference finals or in the finals, you've got to beat these guys either way and you pick the best chance at doing so.

Besides, with Boston emerging in the East there is not even a guaranteed final spot in Cleveland anymore.

Something pretty cool about all these deadline day trades is how cool it makes LeBron look.

By that I mean he is really this uber boss that they just won't touch. That whole roster gets upended, avariety of big names get thrown out, which has to be painful because there was definite promise, and part of the reason this is being done is probably also to appease LeBron and not let him go into free agency with a sour taste about the Cavs in his mouth. Sure, it's also about getting better, but I bet that figured into it as well he could have walked for sure if they hadn't thrown out half the team, and that threat is enough.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I find that a little hard to believe. Every report I've seen describes a horrible relationship between LeBron, Gilbert and Cavs senior management. 

Most of those reports are more than a little hyperbolic.  Gilbert and LeBron are never going to be friends, but the moves the Cavs made, and the fact that they took on money and consulted with LeBron on the trades, went a long way toward showing that Gilbert remains committed to spending what it takes to win, and that's really all LeBron wanted to see.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They have talent though. They should be good soon, especially in a weak East.

Meh, they were in a much better position with much more talent before the 2016 offseason, when they traded Oladipo (and Sabonis) for Ibaka and signed Fournier and Biyombo (not saying Fournier was necessarily a bad signing, but Biyombo certainly was).

They haven't hit on a real star in the draft since Howard.  I am hopeful this draft could be it, like I said I think all of the top 5 I mentioned could be that guy.

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now that you say that I think you explained it once before.

I think I have too.  Used to it though - it's understandably a common question.

8 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Westbrook, Lebron and George would be a delight to watch.

Unless Anthony opts out I don't see how they make room for all 3.

27 minutes ago, briantw said:

Most of those reports are more than a little hyperbolic.  Gilbert and LeBron are never going to be friends, but the moves the Cavs made, and the fact that they took on money and consulted with LeBron on the trades, went a long way toward showing that Gilbert remains committed to spending what it takes to win, and that's really all LeBron wanted to see.

Maybe. I just think LeBron is going to leave because he's going to get beat in the Finals again so he'll have to start over somewhere else. I suspect he'll try and pair up with another max player and the two of them will try to find a team with cap space and a talented young core that's still cheap (an no, not the Lakers). 

10 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Meh, they were in a much better position with much more talent before the 2016 offseason, when they traded Oladipo (and Sabonis) for Ibaka and signed Fournier and Biyombo (not saying Fournier was necessarily a bad signing, but Biyombo certainly was).

Yeah, all around bad moves outside of signing Fournier. The Biyombo one really confused me. Why throw a ton of cash at an unproven talent who plays a position that you don't need? 

Archived