NBA 2017 - 18: A Shot at Parity

Relic

On 2/15/2018 at 11:28 AM, Jaime L said:

We're basically at the All Star Game - the official kick off to tanking season - and I think we're in for the most epic tanking derby in memory. Other years have had a clear team that is so much worse than everyone else. Not this year. 6 teams have exactly 18 wins. 2 more have 19-20 wins and the Knicks desperately want to join this group. 9 teams jockeying to win the lottery.

Agreed it's going to be an an interesting 'derby,' and as a Magic fan it's really annoying how the worst teams have all clustered, but let's not pretend this is any type of unique season in terms of tanking.  The worst team having 18 wins at the ASB is actually an incredible improvement compared to recent years.

10 hours ago, sperry said:

Thunder would have been a legitimate threat to the Warriors if Roberson hadn't gotten hurt. Unfortunately, they don't have anyone to replace him.

Can't believe Andre Roberson is worth an entire article.  But yeah, not a believer in the Thunder.  They'll lose easily in the second round.  Or maybe even the first.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Agreed it's going to be an an interesting 'derby,' and as a Magic fan it's really annoying how the worst teams have all clustered, but let's not pretend this is any type of unique season in terms of tanking.  The worst team having 18 wins at the ASB is actually an incredible improvement compared to recent years.

It seems like a few more teams than usual are tanking, but yeah we've seen seasons where teams barely even make it to double digits (if that), so it's not as if this is some absurdly abnormal year.  There are just a bunch of teams that are equally shitty rather than a tiered system that ranges from absolute dog shit to merely normal dog shit.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

It seems like a few more teams than usual are tanking, but yeah we've seen seasons where teams barely even make it to double digits (if that), so it's not as if this is some absurdly abnormal year.  There are just a bunch of teams that are equally shitty rather than a tiered system that ranges from absolute dog shit to merely normal dog shit.

Right, that was what I was trying to say.  Unfortunately I worded it kind of dickish.

13 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

No the fans were robbed.  Another forgettable slam dunk contest.  

I dunno, there were at least 3 incredible dunks in the contest. Overall, it was a pretty good contest. Not the best, but far from the worst. 

On 2/17/2018 at 0:21 AM, dmc515 said:

Yeah I'm not saying it's going to be an epic tanking season because these teams are worse than ever - think all (except maybe the Suns at times) have pretty shown a decent level of competitiveness thus far. Think it'll be epic because they're so tightly bunched. Taking a couple games off could mean the difference between the #1 lottery odds and #8. 

There is a decent amount of LeBron hate in here, so im curious what people ahve to say about his comments in response to "shut up and dribble" -

"It lets me know that everything I've been saying is correct, for her to have that type of reaction," James said Saturday during a wide-ranging interview at the Los Angeles Convention Center that covered Ingraham's comments, the pride he feels in the "Black Panther" movie, with a primarily black cast, and gun control following the Parkland, Florida, high school shooting this week.

"But we will definitely not shut up and dribble. I will definitely not do that. I mean too much to society, I mean too much to the youth, I mean too much to so many kids that feel like they don't have a way out, and they need someone to help lead them out of the situation they're in."

James pointed out that Ingraham was incorrect for saying that he'd graduated from high school "a year early."

"I also wish she would have did a little bit more fact-checking, because I actually did finish high school and didn't leave early," James said. "I graduated high school. You know, to be an African-American kid and grow up in the inner city with a single-parent mother and not being financially stable, and to make it where I've made it today, I think I've defeated the odds. I think I've defeated the odds, and I want every kid to know that, and I want everybody to know that the youth, they can do it as well.

"That's why I will not just shut up and dribble because I mean too much to my two boys here, their best friend right here, my daughter who is at home, my wife, my family and all these other kids that look up to me for inspiration and trying to find a way out, and find some leeway on how they can become as great as they can be and how those dreams can become reality."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/ct-lebron-james-laura-ingraham-20180217-story.html

I'm neither the LeBron lover nor a LeBron hater so I don't know if my opinion counts ;) but here's my 0.02$.

LeBron is right that he means too much to society, at least in the way he clarifies later on. He and quite a few other athletes most definitely shouldn't just shut up and dribble (or whatever they are doing in their respective sports) since they have the power to influence large numbers of people, a lot of young people included. That's why it's important for them to pay more attention to their words and actions than an "Average Joe". On one hand, they have the power to point out different injustices in society, help attract attention to important matters etc. and on the other they can tell people the Earth is flat. With great power comes great responsibility and all that.

As a Celtics fan, I've been up and down on LeBron. I probably became a permanent Bron fan when he brought a title to Cleveland. I still think he makes plenty of mistakes, and I don't think it's a good idea to pass passive-aggressive notes on his teammates and his team through social media.

That said, I very much admire his willingness to engage on tough social issues. I wish more athletes were like LeBron. Really, this dude has been famous since he was like 15 years old and stupendously wealthy and unaccountable since he was 18, and we should be amazed at how decent and giving he turned out to be. He's a huge fucking improvement over the Barkleys and Jordans of the world.

I agree with baxus. I am a big Bulls fan and have had a personal dislike of LeBron for a long time. For every two times he rubs me the wrong way, he gets something right. I really liked his response to that woman's absolutely idiotic message.

In the same vein, I am currently peeved at my all time favorite non-MJ Bull, Jimmy Butler. Dude asks not to be put in the ASG for rest? Come on my dude! You're still my avatar on the basketball forum! You can't tell me that spending 8 minutes goofing off with the guys is that awful. It was important to your young, impressionable fans to see their hero in the hero game. What a selfish move, whether it was his ego-driven distaste of superteam type guys, or simply that basketball under Thibs is just that exhausting that one of the most durable athletes in the sport didn't want to jog half-assed on a 2v1. 

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

That said, I very much admire his willingness to engage on tough social issues. I wish more athletes were like LeBron. Really, this dude has been famous since he was like 15 years old and stupendously wealthy and unaccountable since he was 18, and we should be amazed at how decent and giving he turned out to be. He's a huge fucking improvement over the Barkleys and Jordans of the world.

Athletes shouldn't be considered role models.  Too often they are condemned by the media when they commit criminal acts.  Or lauded by the media when they are performing P.R. duties or giving to charities in the form of tax deductions.

I understand that millions of children are going to aspire to be them but it's the job of the parent(s) to enforce the idea that athletics should always take a backseat to academics.

LeBron seems like a good guy but he takes himself too seriously.  Last year he became overly sensitive and attacked Barkley personally while complementing himself as a role model.  When in fact, Barkley is more grounded in reality when it comes to his status as a sports celebrity and a citizen.  On several occasions you hear Charles explain to fans that he was simply good at putting a ball in a hoop.  

Everything LeBron states about social issues in America is simply an echo we constantly hear from the left.  Which isn't necessarily always a bad thing, but he brings nothing new to the table.  If he wanted my respect and the respect of millions of other Americans,  he would tell the children who look up to him; the odds of them becoming famous athletes/rappers are highly against them.  That education is the best investment to make in their young lives.  That they should respect women and be responsible adults.  To not be like his father and the millions of other black fathers who abandon their children. 

Archived