The Cyberpunk thread

C.T. Phipps

22 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

A lot of Akira is based within Japanese culture and Japanese gang violence. I'm not saying it couldn't be reapdated for a different audience, but it would be hard.

I guess what I'm saying is that it wouldn't be AKIRA per se but it's entirely possible to do a great adaptation set in another culture and adjusted appropriately.

Like, no, you couldn't do the Seven Samurai in America--that'd be stupid.

But you could do the Magnificent Seven.

BTW, is there any book with better dialogue than Snow Crash?

"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the f***ing sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest mother****er in the world... Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest motherfucker in the world. The position is filled.

"This is America. People do whatever the **** they feel like doing, you got a problem with that? Well, too bad. Because we have a right to. Why? Because we have guns and no one can fucking stop us.”

“See, the world is full of things more powerful than us. But if you know how to catch a ride, you can go places."

“When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.”

Archived