Happy (USA) Thanksgiving!

drawkcabi

AKA Turkey Day

AKA Christmas: Part One (Nope, you're mistaken if you say that's Halloween's AKA, Halloween is Christmas: The Prequel)

No big turkey dinner here, no big shopping planned for tomorrow, I've let go my interest in the NFL. But I celebrate today with loved ones in my life, very thankful they are there, my parents, my dog, my internet family here on this board. I'm thankful that extended family members care enough about how myself and my parents are doing to call us today and wish us well. I'm thankful that we were available to dogsit my aunt's corgi for her, and thankful that this is one of the sweetest dogs ever and enjoy having her here immensely over the holiday. I'm thankful that in little more than a week I'm taking a trip with my good friends and I'm bringing home a new puppy. One of the Starz channels is running Planes, Trains, and Automobiles all day, maybe I'll catch that. If Dutch is on I'll catch that too.

All in all it's all it's a nice day for me, spending it at a speed and in a fashion that's good for me and I wish everyone reading this whether in the U.S. or not a very, very, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

13 minutes ago, Kelli Fury said:

Fuck your genocidal, belittling, racist holiday.

Yup.

Holidays are hard on me.  I hate chatting with family.  I also have 5 DAYS  off work.  I still can't remember what sleep is.  Still, Fuck this bullshit.

28 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

Regardless of the holiday Drawk, when family gets together it seems like the airing of the grievances ends up happening. I was pleasantly surprised this year that even the ardent shoppers in the family have decided that Cyber Monday is a better time to start shopping than going to a store on Thanksgiving night. 

Of course, how silly of me.

As much as I detest the Friday after Thanksgiving, don't even want to call it by that name, and would never participate in it, and don't get people who like to do so, upon consideration, apparently it is the more honest about what the holiday is really about. Consumerism, fighting, herd mentality. No rosy stories about the first Black Friday where there was only one Tickle Me Elmo left and the soccer mom and the hillbilly dad who were viciously fighting over it graciously came together and decided to let the grandma with a bad hip have it, "and lo, upon that act came a bright light as a stock boy came out of a back room, bringing with him a new shipment of Elmo dolls. It was a miracle indeed and everyone rejoiced...before pushing and shoving one another to buy as many of the dolls as they could so they could sell the extras online at exorbitant fees."

11 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

Fuck your genocidal, belittling, racist holiday.

This is among the myriad of reasons that I celebrate by throwing a "Thanks for Nothing" party every year. I hope to always remember that my ancestors greeted a native people by passing out diseased blankets to those that were cold, and participated in hundreds of other forms of genocide. I personally find the myth surrounding the holiday not only inconsiderate to American Indians, but also dangerous in that it teaches the majority culture of whites that they hold no responsibility.  

Archived