Why Arya Did Not Reveal Herself In Harrenhal

R. Bolton

I'm not sure if it had been asked before, I've skimmed the pages and couldn't find anything relevant.

Why Arya didn't reveal herself to Roose Bolton when he took control of Harrenhal? Wasn't it safe to come out, then? It kinda bugged me. She is his princess now, a sister of his king. She could finally have ended her misery and save her friends, too; but she continued to play along the serving girl.

If I recall correctly, she felt uncomfortable with him. Perhaps she didn't trust him well enough to reveal herself, and considering the Red Wedding, with good cause apparently. Based on how northern lords treated Donella Hornwood, it seems like they can only be trusted so far.

In that chapter, she never indicate judgement about him (and no remarks of any northern lords' trustworthiness) as it was too early for that and she could not possibly know about Lady Hornwood. There were no hints of future treason like RW yet, even for the reader.

She was cautious, not trusting any Northman just because they were sworn to Robb. She rightly assesses that Robett and Helman are trustworthy but not quickly enough:

"She wished that Robett Glover and Ser Helman Tallhart would come back to Harrenhal, though; they had marched too quickly, before she'd been able to decide whether to trust them with her secret." (Arya X)

Roose clearly failed this test. As well as her intuition and his obvious creepiness, the alliance with the Bloody Mummers, pessimism towards Robb and hunting of the wolves were good signs that she should not reveal her identity to him.

On 27/11/2017 at 7:50 AM, R. Bolton said:

I'm not sure if it had been asked before, I've skimmed the pages and couldn't find anything relevant.

Why Arya didn't reveal herself to Roose Bolton when he took control of Harrenhal? Wasn't it safe to come out, then? It kinda bugged me. She is his princess now, a sister of his king. She could finally have ended her misery and save her friends, too; but she continued to play along the serving girl.

She did not reveal herself to Roose because she did not trust him enough to say it, and also because she felt uncomfortable with him. But it's a good question.

But I even have doubts about what would have happened if she told him so.

Ned Stark wisely prepared Arya to be alert to possible dangers, remembering the quote where he warns her "We've come to a dangerous place......."

I'm sure conversations like that left a lasting impression as Arya was in survival mode from the moment she fled KL. She would be very cautious about just trusting anyone after seeing Ned executed.

Archived