Dark: Netflix's Time-Bending German Mystery Series {Spoilers from page 5}

AncalagonTheBlack

Can't watch as in Berlin. 4 episodes into the rewatch and it's filmed really well. The amount of times they cut from jonas to old jonas seems even more obvious second time around. There's one scene where jonas is lying on the floor in the attic and i thought it was the older one.

Also pretty shocking how much i had forgotten. 

It's going to be Thursday before i get to start season 2 though and i have a weekend getting in way of bingeing. Why couldn't it have been released at the beginning of June when i had nothing to do?

I've now binged all eight episodes of season two, and I think they really outdid themselves.

It's a real struggle remembering how all the characters relate to one another, but I love the moral ambiguity and relentlessly depressive atmosphere. 

This show is everything I could ever want in a time travel series!

It's just utterly brilliant.

I am continually amazed by the casting, not only did they find actors that look so much like they could be the younger/older version of their counterparts, they are all do great performances! Are some of them even related in real life? 

Minor spoilers for S2, episodes 1 & 2:

Kind of weird watching this after watching Chernobyl earlier this month. One is fantasy one is reality, yet still there's a familiar tone to both. Scenes at the plant, the hints at the nature of the Apocalypse, Jonas with the Geiger counter (click click click click click...*chills!* ), even mentioning Chernobyl itself and warning Jonas about acid rain. This show has me constantly thinking back to previous scenes as more secrets and details emerge and sometimes I momentarily forget and feel Chernobyl was just another previous part of Dark.

Claudia is a chimera, she has two different eyes, I never noticed that last season. I think extra effort was made to make me notice them this season though. That might mean something. We'll see.

One thing though, with the Higgs boson and Hadron Collider talk, I know this show is going to end up being fuel for Mandela Effect and such conspiracy theorists. :rolleyes:

Struggled with the start of the season due to not doing a rewatch but damn this second season was amazing. The puzzle just keeps turning this way and that as details slot in but never feels like there isn't an end shape it will all slot into.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:46 AM, karaddin said:

Hide contents

5) I thought there was some very nice hinting that Egon's wife leaves him for Agnes. The actresses had amazing chemistry and there was more than one scene with contact that seemed very intimate - particularly when Agnes was helping Doris get her clothes straight to go see the Dopplers. It may be spurred on by a behaviour change like you suggested but I don't think that will be the primary motivation.

Sorry to double post but I also needed to say

Spoiler

I called this one and feeling pretty satisfied lol. Excellent subtle hinting in S1.

So the major familial connections still unexplained are:

Who are Noah and Agnes parents/are they originally from the future or the past? Does this question even make sense in a fixed time loop.

Who is Wöller's mother? The line to his sister to "call mum" after he bought the truck has no purpose if that's not going to link in somewhere down the line. They could be '53 Hannah's descendants?

My overall picture of the timeline at this point is that it's a spiral with travel to the points directly above (33 years in the future) and below (33 years in the past) easier than other travel and can be done via the stable wormhole and the portable chest device. Travel outside this can be done but we've only seen it from the energised dark matter orbs.

Ultimately it feels like causing a bootstrap paradox outright breaks reality and time is actually stuck on this period (1921-2052 for sure, maybe a bit longer)

We started a rewatch of season 1 last night and it’s amazing how much I don’t remember. Things are coming back as we go but as it started, I didn’t remember anything. I’ll 2nd, 3rd or whatever everyone who says a rewatch is likely vital.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yep after one episode of season 2 I realised there was so much I had forgotten. Faces seemed familiar but I couldn't for the life of me remember how they connected to other people.

I think a rewatch is absolutely vital to the enjoyment of this show.

I am halfway through season two right now and I don't think I would have the slightest clue what the fuck was going on had I not watched season one again right before.  Only things I really remembered were where a few of the main characters ended season one, like Jonas in the future and Ulrich in a 1920's jail.

25 minutes ago, briantw said:

I am halfway through season two right now and I don't think I would have the slightest clue what the fuck was going on had I not watched season one again right before.  Only things I really remembered were where a few of the main characters ended season one, like Jonas in the future and Ulrich in a 1920's jail.

I stopped half way through the first episode and read a refresher which helped. My big problem was remembering which faces go with which names - apparently having more than one face per name really messes with your brains usual method of doing that. I was ok by the third episode though.

I'll do a rewatch of both seasons.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Ulrich is in an 1953 jail.

season 2 finale:

Spoiler

ok, there's a multiverse!  seems that's always the case with time travel stories.

I'd guess Hanna might be Noah's mom, making her Agnes's mom too, and the matrilineal progenitor of the Nielsen line.  Making her great-grandmoth to Ulrich, and great-great-grandmother to her own husband Mikkel, and great-great-great-grandmother to her own son Jonas.

15 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

There is a season one recap on Netflix, I don’t think it auto-plays when you start season two.

I burned through the entire season in two or three days.  Forgot how addictive the mystery is once it gets rolling.  Been putting off the rewatch but now I am glad I did.

It's also a show that I think really benefits from binging.  If this were a weekly show I'd probably forgot tons of little details between episodes, although the constant cliffhangers would be addictive as hell.

Archived