Dark: Netflix's Time-Bending German Mystery Series {Spoilers from page 5}

AncalagonTheBlack

3 hours ago, briantw said:

It's also a show that I think really benefits from binging.  If this were a weekly show I'd probably forgot tons of little details between episodes, although the constant cliffhangers would be addictive as hell.

Agreed....as great as this show is, in hindsight, I'd hold off until the entire thing was done.... but this article helps a lot...

screenrant.com/netflix-dark-timeline-explained/

Still doing the rewatch. Pleased i am as it's very densely plotted.

It just occurred to me that it's a good thing ulrich/his wife/Hannah never saw Mikkel and thought "he looks just like Michael did when he was that age". The ensuing accusations could have been very awkward, especially if a DNA test was done. I'm guessing "Michael" never had any childhood photos in circulation in the past to limit this from happening. 

I do remember the show being very incestuous with everyone having affairs and potentially being related because of it especially with the time travel making groups of friends related. I'd forgotten Ulrich's dad was having an affair with mrs tiedermann's mum too

28 minutes ago, red snow said:

I do remember the show being very incestuous with everyone having affairs and potentially being related because of it especially with the time travel making groups of friends related. I'd forgotten Ulrich's dad was having an affair with mrs tiedermann's mum too

On rewatch you tend to notice the way that cycles of events seem to happen over the 33 years. 

What I will say having rewatched S01e01 is that I'd forgotten how beautiful the cinematography is on the show, its something you miss a bit when you are so locked into trying to work out whats going on. The open credits and the music are fantastic as well.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Still doing the rewatch. Pleased i am as it's very densely plotted.

It just occurred to me that it's a good thing ulrich/his wife/Hannah never saw Mikkel and thought "he looks just like Michael did when he was that age". The ensuing accusations could have been very awkward, especially if a DNA test was done. I'm guessing "Michael" never had any childhood photos in circulation in the past to limit this from happening. 

:) 

Well, that was a twist at the end of episode 4.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Any takers on the identity of Charlotte's mother? I'm betting Ines atm.

I'm going with Hannah, but I had to stop short of finishing Ep 7, and one more to go!!!

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that out of all the actor pairings, the young & the old, Jonas doesn't quite fit? Adult Jonas has brown eyes, while young Jonas has blue. I keep thinking there's a fake out there, despite all we're being shown.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Yeah, season two was fucking great.  Gonna be a long wait for season three.  Need future me to travel back in time and give me a USB drive with this shit on it.

If this is the result of a bootstrap paradox I really wouldn't want to risk creating one. You could get hacked and wind up leaking the episodes before theyve been created and them bam, the entire world is stuck in a 12 month loop.

On 6/26/2019 at 1:15 PM, Corvinus said:

Not buying it. (yet)

Complete season 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

I didn’t really follow those posts, what are you referring to here? Jonas being Adam? I’m really hoping that’s not true either, firstly it’s just the same twist from season one (strange character turns out to be Jonas) and secondly, they’ve set the bar so high with casting and he just doesn’t look like him. I know he’s disfigured, but his face shape isn’t right at all, compared to Old (middle now, possibly) Jonas and Young Jonas. He looks far more like Bartosz, I was hoping he’d get disfigured toward the end of the season. Plus it added up him wanting to save Martha (well, until the finale). Adam didn’t know anything he couldn’t have found out so I’ll say the jury’s still out.

Not sure how I feel about Elisabeth being Charlotte’s mum being Elisabeth’s mum. Until now we weren’t sure if there were any actual ‘bootstrap’ paradoxes, but that seems to be one. Not a big fan, I prefer the idea that there was a first loop and things have an origin (though there was certainly many a monologue to the contrary).

My head canon was that once upon a time, Claudia used the dark matter sphere to travel through time and told H.G Tannhaus about it, who wrote a crude book on the matter, which Claudia took back for a second loop, which gave him a head start and he wrote a slightly better book, and eventually the knowledge accumulated to the point where he could design a crude machine that harnessed it. The machine has been through loops and improved along with the book. We see various levels of complexity with the machines, the sphere, then the cave, then the briefcases, then possibly alt-Martha’s smaller device. 

I could talk all day about the series, but I’ll leave it there. Been dying to finish so I could talk about it. Thank god someone finally stopped pussyfooting around and made a proper time travel series.

Fantastic season finale again. Plenty of twists this season. Can't wait to see where they take the story next season.

So is Noah the only character with a real redemption arc?  Try as Jonas might, he seems to just make things worse.

Fantastic! Amazing! Incredible show!

Spoiler

I hope the writers know what they are doing (and so far everything indicates they definitely do) with introducing alternate worlds into the show's equation. I just hope they haven't bit off more than they can chew.

So, I'm pretty sure that Regina is Tronte Nielson's daughter with Claudia. Making Regina Ulrich's half-sister. It hasn't been revealed yet but I'm almost certain about this one. So Martha was unknowingly dating both her nephew and her cousin (Bartosz).

On 6/25/2019 at 12:11 PM, SpaceChampion said:

season 2 finale:

Hide contents

ok, there's a multiverse!  seems that's always the case with time travel stories.

I'd guess Hanna might be Noah's mom, making her Agnes's mom too, and the matrilineal progenitor of the Nielsen line.  Making her great-grandmoth to Ulrich, and great-great-grandmother to her own husband Mikkel, and great-great-great-grandmother to her own son Jonas.

I love the idea that Hannah is Noah and Agnes' mom! How about this to make it just a bit more convoluted, but with show it seems the more convoluted ideas win out. Hannah is Noah and Agnes' mom and Egon is their father. The way Egon and Hannah make eyes at each other in episode 7...Hannah gets pregnant has Noah, then gets pregnant again with Agnes, then for some reason goes back in time?

The reason Agnes hates Noah is because he raped her, and Noah is Tronte's father. The reason Noah did it was because Adam told him it had to be, same reason he killed, or allowed to be killed, Mads, Yasin, and Erik.

Where the heck did Charlotte's husband come from? Helge Doppler's son? Helge liked Claudia but she wasn't interested in him. There's been no other indication of a wife Helge had or any other woman he was interested in. Maybe he adopted his son? Maybe Noah gave him a baby to raise? I don't know but it's something that's going to tie into the story sooner or later.

I loved how in season one Woller was just there with his bandaged eye and no explanation for it was given, it wasn't even acknowledged, he was just there and his eye was like that. In season 2 it gets acknowledged and Woller is just about to tell Clausen when...he doesn't. Something important about why/how it happened is also going to be revealed at some point.

Just a great show, but trying to keep all the characters and relationships together...makes me go cross-eyed!

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Fantastic! Amazing! Incredible show!

Hide contents

I hope the writers know what they are doing (and so far everything indicates they definitely do) with introducing alternate worlds into the show's equation. I just hope they haven't bit off more than they can chew.

So, I'm pretty sure that Regina is Tronte Nielson's daughter with Claudia. Making Regina Ulrich's half-sister. It hasn't been revealed yet but I'm almost certain about this one. So Martha was unknowingly dating both her nephew and her cousin (Bartosz).

I love the idea that Hannah is Noah and Agnes' mom! How about this to make it just a bit more convoluted, but with show it seems the more convoluted ideas win out. Hannah is Noah and Agnes' mom and Egon is their father. The way Egon and Hannah make eyes at each other in episode 7...Hannah gets pregnant has Noah, then gets pregnant again with Agnes, then for some reason goes back in time?

The reason Agnes hates Noah is because he raped her, and Noah is Tronte's father. The reason Noah did it was because Adam told him it had to be, same reason he killed, or allowed to be killed, Mads, Yasin, and Erik.

Where the heck did Charlotte's husband come from? Helge Doppler's son? Helge liked Claudia but she wasn't interested in him. There's been no other indication of a wife Helge had or any other woman he was interested in. Maybe he adopted his son? Maybe Noah gave him a baby to raise? I don't know but it's something that's going to tie into the story sooner or later.

I loved how in season one Woller was just there with his bandaged eye and no explanation for it was given, it wasn't even acknowledged, he was just there and his eye was like that. In season 2 it gets acknowledged and Woller is just about to tell Clausen when...he doesn't. Something important about why/how it happened is also going to be revealed at some point.

Just a great show, but trying to keep all the characters and relationships together...makes me go cross-eyed!

There's a brief mention in season 1 about Peter Doppler. He moved to Winden in '87, so after Mads disappeared. Helge may have had a relationship with someone else, maybe someone who is simply not part of the larger picture.

A couple more questions...

Spoiler

How could Mikkel get Ruebella? I assume MMR vaccinations are as common in Germany as they are in the U.S. Was he just resistant to the immunization? I don't think Katharina could be an anti-vaxxer and principal of a school, maybe her job was also how she knew what Mikkel had so fast? 

Could the Higgs bosun dark matter sphere be sentient? I thought in one episode I heard a female voice coming from it and Adam was talking to it. It could have just been the camera work, showing the sphere as Adam looked at it but was talking to a woman off camera, someone the show didn't want to reveal was there with Adam just yet, like Agnes. However, I got the feeling that it was the sphere speaking to Adam and that it was the ultimate entity in charge of everything going on.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:04 PM, Corvinus said:

I just realized who the guy in the beginning is, the one that gets the pickaxe.

Hide contents

Bartosz

Yeah its not explicitly confirmed but its very very likely and fits all the info we have.

I just accepted that

Spoiler

Adam is Jonas because it seemed obvious from the setup, too obvious to count as a twist after season 1 so I'm not actually bothered by that. I think its quite fitting to have everything he goes through just make him more determined to stop everything but he just keeps making things worse. I guess at some point this is what turns Jonas into Adam - he gives up.

In his speech to Young Jonas he says there are 3 deaths in a lifetime - the death of naivete, the death of innocence and the death of life. I interpreted this as coinciding with the end of the seasons - in season 1 he loses his naivete and winds up in the future, in season 2 he loses his innocence with the sequence of events where he tries to force Martha into doing what he says to save her only to wind up getting her killed and goes back to the past with Magnus, Franziska and Bartosz and is on the path to become Adam. At the end of season 3 we'll see the death of Adam.

OK, regarding Jonas in the last few episodes of season 2

Spoiler

Was there a deliberate time skip, or did I miss something? The Jonas who takes Claudia 87 through the cave, and lastly goes to his house where he meets Martha only for Adam to come and kill her is not the same Jonas, who earlier had gone to his house and talked to his dad. The final Jonas is no longer wearing the yellow coat, and looks even worse for wear than yellow coat Jonas. I think after old Claudia came and got him, he did a bunch more stuff, including the big reveal regarding Mikkel's disappearance, possibly went to the future again, and then came back just before the apocalypse.

Archived