Dark: Netflix's Time-Bending German Mystery Series {Spoilers from page 5}

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I've been listening to the official score and the featured songs on Spotify quite a lot. It's funny how many musicians i follow/like have turned up in the show, I've been a fan of apparat (title music) for over 15 years. Maybe there's some correlation with music taste and story content.

Or maybe someone traveled back in time to make you like those things. No such thing as chance, puppet!

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I've been listening to the official score and the featured songs on Spotify quite a lot. It's funny how many musicians i follow/like have turned up in the show, I've been a fan of apparat (title music) for over 15 years. Maybe there's some correlation with music taste and story content.

I actually found a the music a little off putting, usually as the one element I disliked of Dark was its mandatory music montage in every episode. It felt a little on the nose at times. Plus I watch with subtitles and most of the songs were in English. Otherwise I liked mostly every song, I just wished they didn’t go so overboard with it

The theme song is incredible though.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Or maybe someone traveled back in time to make you like those things. No such thing as chance, puppet!

Netflix has been investing in time travel to ensure customised subscribers. It's all in their algorithm.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I actually found a the music a little off putting, usually as the one element I disliked of Dark was its mandatory music montage in every episode. It felt a little on the nose at times. Plus I watch with subtitles and most of the songs were in English. Otherwise I liked mostly every song, I just wished they didn’t go so overboard with it

The theme song is incredible though.

It's probably my nostalgia for the "joy" that was Sons of Anarchy music montages :)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Late to the party on this, but I just finished binging both seasons, and I absolutely loved them. I’m a little less mad at Netflix now for canceling OA, and some other more out there shows when they bring us a gem like Dark. 

Fortunately this one is only three seasons so they can't cancel it prior to the story being completed.

I'm a little baffled and confused by people suggesting Hannah could be Noah's and Agnes' mother when they are all adults in 1953/54. Noah is an older teenager/young adult and Agnes preteenish in 1921. 

We finished both seasons in the past two weeks and it's the kind of show that keeps you up at night thinking WTF? I love it.

Speaking of the music, I rewatched the anime Steins Gate which is another story featuring time travel (won't say anything more in case anyone wants to watch it) and there is an audio cue of phones vibrating whenever anyone gets a message or a phone call that sounds so similar to one of the music themes that plays regularly in Dark. Given time travel is a relatively small genre and I suspect Steins Gate would be considered somewhat influential if you're playing in this space, I'm wondering if that bit of music is intentional or just a coincidence.

• 1 month later...

So... I guess I'm now finally joining the club of those who have seen the show up to the end of season 2. I purposefully avoided this thread for that very reason. And I really, really enjoyed it. Certainly one of the best shows I have ever seen, mostly because I really love it when a story forces you to think about it to get the most out of it. The entire way they put in twist after twist but rarely having to spell it out... it feels like they are appreciating a thinking audience that way.

Of course I am curious how it is going on. That cliffhanger with the introduction of alternate realities threw me off a bit. I hope that Martha only comes from a previous timeline where Jonas hasn't been born, the one old Claudia brought up at that point. This would then indicate that yes, you freaking can change the timeline!

Because I must admit, this utterly absurd adherence to predestination was starting to frustrate me beginning at the second half of season 1. It's still a great show, but it felt like all we have seen amounted to absolutely nothing. No changes were made whatsoever. If this cycle was necessary to set up the end, then it's fine with me, but it didn't even seem like setting up things, just treading down paths already taken. With some bits of dialogue making me wonder whether the characters even know how timetravel works in their universe. Noah not warning his younger self of Adam out of fear of himself not existing to confront him struck me as decidedly odd. If it's a cycle and each cycle has to be done anew by different versions of yourself, then Noah had already lived his life up to that point and warning young Noah would just influence this new incarnation of himself for the next cycle. He could then still confront Adam without problems. But I guess that is an expansion upon the Elizabeth problem. If it is indeed a cycle that has a beginning numerous iterations in the past, then the first Charlotte had to be the child of Noah with someone else and then the next Noah got together with the first Elizabeth instead of the previous' Noah's girlfriend. If the cycle came to being this way it would introduce the problem that both Elizabeth and Charlotte would be genetically different people with each iteration as the genetic material of Noah's first girlfriend fades out. A timeloop like this... just isn't feasable for such a long cycle.

Then again, I am still not sure whether the timeloop actually creates new iterations or not. As I said, the show feels ridiculously hesitant to allow characters to change even the tiniest details. All has happened already, all will happen exactly as it did. They didn't give us the tiniest shred of hope so far...

On 8/29/2019 at 4:37 AM, karaddin said:

Speaking of the music, I rewatched the anime Steins Gate which is another story featuring time travel (won't say anything more in case anyone wants to watch it) and there is an audio cue of phones vibrating whenever anyone gets a message or a phone call that sounds so similar to one of the music themes that plays regularly in Dark. Given time travel is a relatively small genre and I suspect Steins Gate would be considered somewhat influential if you're playing in this space, I'm wondering if that bit of music is intentional or just a coincidence.

I noticed that when the importance of the phone was explained, the explanation was basically exactly the same for why the TV downstairs in Steins;Gate was used for. I had the same association as you had and don't think it's a coincidence. I also think there is another link (Steins;Gate spoilers ahead):

Spoiler

Remember that the final solution to the bad future of Steins;Gate was to create a cycle in which their next iterations did the exact mistakes they previously did in order to go back in time and fix them in exactly the same way they did. Isn't this basically what Claudia and Jonas are trying to do? I wonder if it can also end in a similar way... the importance of Michael's suicide being the starting point is indeed awfully similar to Kurisu's murder being the starting point of Steins;Gate's cycle. I wonder... what was Houdini famous for again? :P

But honestly, there are so many references to other timetravel stories I have also noticed. The creation of the anomaly in season 1 immediately struck me as basically taken directly from Star Trek's "All Good Things" for example. However I have yet to see a single story that embraces predetermination so frustratingly hard as Dark does.

Because I must admit, this utterly absurd adherence to predestination was starting to frustrate me beginning at the second half of season 1. 

Actually this was the one thing I loved most about the show. I know it probably meant that any ending would almost always be totally unsatisfying, there was something incredibly powerful about the rigid idea of time the show sets up. It forces the writers into a corner that only something very clever will be able to get them out of, and I really liked that. 

Alternate realities is like an escape clause narratively and it gets over used by lots of other shows and movies in a very lazy fashion. 

The idea that everything that has ever happened will always happen and the past and the future are all linked up is such a powerful concept to get your head around, its the cornerstone of what makes the show great.

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The final cycle is about to begin. Will the loop finally be broken? Find out on June 27th

The time-twisting madness reaches its conclusion in a strange new world, where some things are quite familiar — and others are disturbingly not.

Can't wait. One of my favorite series.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Psyched for this.... this show is really well done... smart, excellent writing and an even better concept.... 

.... side note, it's a little odd that it's dropping on a Saturday.... I wonder why?

I believe June 27, 2020 is the day of the critical events in season 2, the activation of the dark matter and the apocalypse. I need to go back and re-watch.

15 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I believe June 27, 2020 is the day of the critical events in season 2, the activation of the dark matter and the apocalypse. I need to go back and re-watch.

Yup, it’s right there in Claudia’s notebook “June 27th 2020, the beginning of the third cycle” so it’s the only choice for the start of the third season.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I belatedly caught up with Season 2 of the The Dark last week, so I may have the unexpected pleasure of starting Season 3 knowing who most of the characters are. Though remembering how they're related to each other may still be a bit of a strain! 

Archived