Dark: Netflix's Time-Bending German Mystery Series {Spoilers from page 5}

AncalagonTheBlack

God I love this show. Can’t remember the last time I was this hyped for a season of TV. I’ve completely immersed myself in it again for the last week, rewatched it, made copious notes, been all over r/DarK. The concept in the trailer of...

Spoiler

the two worlds being two halves of the same loop, with the same origin point is so exciting.

Can’t wait.

34 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I recently rewatched the series so finished S1 for the third time, and S2 for the second.  Hyped!!!

I'm debating whether to just rewatch S2 or, like you, do my third watch of season 1. I'm very tempted but then again, I also have the feeling that I will want to rewatch the whole thing again once it's complete as I suspect/hope there will be reveals in S3 that will make me want to rewatch the whole thing to see how it all hangs together.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I'm debating whether to just rewatch S2 or, like you, do my third watch of season 1. I'm very tempted but then again, I also have the feeling that I will want to rewatch the whole thing again once it's complete as I suspect/hope there will be reveals in S3 that will make me want to rewatch the whole thing to see how it all hangs together.

I was kinda torn on this, you could argue you’d be better off just watching a recap on YouTube and then saving the complete rewatch for all three seasons. I did a complete rewatch, but mainly cos I’m furloughed at the moment with nothing better to do.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I was kinda torn on this, you could argue you’d be better off just watching a recap on YouTube and then saving the complete rewatch for all three seasons. I did a complete rewatch, but mainly cos I’m furloughed at the moment with nothing better to do.

I'm just doing an at home course at moment so there's probably time although I've a ton of other stuff to watch. Says a lot about the quality of the show that i prioritize a rewatch over new stuff (or says something about the quality of other shows). The last time i did season rewatches before a new season were the first two seasons of GOT and first 3 seasons of lost. And "the booth at the end" still annoyed that show disappeared.

I’m going to (probably foolishly) try and rely on some recap videos/summaries instead of rewatching the first 2 seasons. Hope I’m not too lost right off the bat...

Really hyped for the final part though. This and Ozark are by far my favorite Netflix series. And Dark is criminally under the radar. It deserves so much larger of an audience. 

Apparently Netflix France confirmed that there will be a recap available for S1&2 when S3 drops. Not sure how thorough it will be though, or how thorough it can be really. Sometimes official recaps bug me as they specifically remind you about relevant things for the coming episode, which tips you off as to what it’ll be about.

So I finally had the time and Netflix access to with this series and it was as great as everyone said.     I finally got most of the family connections they've shown figured out by the middle of season 2.  They threw in Charlotte and Elizabeth after that, but that mother-daughter-grandmother relationship is straight forward in comparison to the some of the others.   Though it did show that Jonas' plan to stop his father's suicide would have had much larger ramifications that just his own erasure from existence, as at a minimum it would have erased Charlotte, Elizabeth and Franziska as well.

A few ideas bouncing in my head after watching this.

The time travel appears to have been made possible by the nuclear incident that happened off screen a year or so before Claudia took over as head of the nuclear power plant in 1986.   That incident created a natural time bridge as well as the supply of God particles in the radioactive drums that appear to power the portable time machines and somehow created the unstable bubbles in 1921 and 2052 (which appears to have been created on the day of the apocalypse in 2020).  

The natural time bridge existed below the bunker across all times, but was not accessible until Adam's men excavated the tunnels starting around 1921 and finishing sometime before 1953.   Jonas' closed the tunnels somehow in 2019, and then he and Claudia reopened them in 2020 just before the apocalypse, sending Katarina to another time or even another world on the day of the apocalypse.   The tunnels seem to locked on three times, the present, 33 years in the past, and 33 years in the future.   It makes sense that you couldn't go further back in time through the tunnels if you entered in 1953 because the tunnels didn't exist before that, but I wonder if the future 2052 was actually accessible in 2019, but our main characters seemed to only choose the path to 1986 when they entered in 2019.  Until Jonas got launched into the future when his older self closed the tunnels in 2019.

So I assume Adam knew alternate Martha would save his younger self on the Day of the apocalypse.  So not only would he have known about the alternate worlds, is it possible he is not our older Jonas, but an older Jonas from an alternate world?    This is why he doesn't care if he destroys this world, and can shoot Martha, because it is not his Martha.  The alternate world seem more technologically advanced than ours, based on Martha's device, which may explain one thing that bothered me.  If the world ends in 2020, where did the futuristic flashlight come from, but now it may have come from Alternate Martha's world.

How far back in time has Adam gone? He seemed to have had time to build a pretty elaborate bunker system below Winden that appears to be in place before 1921, and most of the technology for the different time travel devices appear to be more steampunk based than futuristic, except of course their power source, the God particle.  

Can't wait to see how they wrap everything up in Season 3.

36 minutes ago, Leofric said:

The time travel appears to have been made possible by the nuclear incident that happened off screen a year or so before Claudia took over as head of the nuclear power plant in 1986.   That incident created a natural time bridge as well as the supply of God particles in the radioactive drums that appear to power the portable time machines...

There’s a few interpretations of the incident (it was summer 1986 FYI): it may have created the cave wormhole itself. Or it may have simply created the fuel, and as Noah says, Stranger Jonas actually creates it when he tries to destroy it using that fuel. Or maybe you need both; Stranger and incident are both equally responsible, and the creation needed both to bookend it’s existence. I personally prefer the first or third, as I’m still clinging to the possibility that this loop has iterations and has been looping around and around an absurd number of times (the alternative being that there is only one loop, and it is what it is. The second interpretation makes the entire premise of time travel a bootstrap, as you need time travel to exist for it to be created).

...and somehow created the unstable bubbles in 1921 and 2052 (which appears to have been created on the day of the apocalypse in 2020).

I think Adam built the 1921 bubble, and the 2052 one is the consequence of the end of Season 2, so essentially the apocalypse aftermath.

The natural time bridge existed below the bunker across all times, but was not accessible until Adam's men excavated the tunnels starting around 1921 and finishing sometime before 1953.  

I’ve always pictured it that the wormhole bridges 53, 86 and 19, and no other periods. They excavated in anticipation that it would exist by the summer of 53.

Jonas' closed the tunnels somehow in 2019, and then he and Claudia reopened them in 2020 just before the apocalypse, sending Katarina to another time or even another world on the day of the apocalypse.   The tunnels seem to locked on three times, the present, 33 years in the past, and 33 years in the future.   It makes sense that you couldn't go further back in time through the tunnels if you entered in 1953 because the tunnels didn't exist before that, but I wonder if the future 2052 was actually accessible in 2019, but our main characters seemed to only choose the path to 1986 when they entered in 2019. 

Again, I would argue that if you could reach 2052 from 2019 then you should be able to make the reverse journey, which wasn’t possible as Jonas couldn’t return that way. So I think the wormhole is locked to 53-86-19, between summer and November when it’s open (though I confess, I have no idea what Jonas reopening the cave does to this theory).

So I assume Adam knew alternate Martha would save his younger self on the Day of the apocalypse.  So not only would he have known about the alternate worlds, is it possible he is not our older Jonas, but an older Jonas from an alternate world?    This is why he doesn't care if he destroys this world, and can shoot Martha, because it is not his Martha. 

Have you seen the trailer for Season 3? As for the first sentence, I can’t see how else Jonas makes it out alive so yea I guess Adam must’ve known.

How far back in time has Adam gone? He seemed to have had time to build a pretty elaborate bunker system below Winden that appears to be in place before 1921, and most of the technology for the different time travel devices appear to be more steampunk based than futuristic, except of course their power source, the God particle.

Good question, we really have no idea what restrictions his own bubble has, other than we know it can break the 33 year cycle.

58 minutes ago, Leofric said:

If the world ends in 2020, where did the futuristic flashlight come from, but now it may have come from Alternate Martha's world.

There’s some uncertainty as to how ‘apocalyptic’ the apocalypse actually was. As you say, there seems to be technological advances (the light, the drone copter things). It’s possible it affected Winden and some area around it, but the rest of the world is OK. The only people we see are people who actually want to be there; Jonas because he needs to get home, and everyone else seems to believe this Sic Mundus prophecy that the portal will lead them all to paradise or whatever it is.

37 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Again, I would argue that if you could reach 2052 from 2019 then you should be able to make the reverse journey, which wasn’t possible as Jonas couldn’t return that way. So I think the wormhole is locked to 53-86-19, between summer and November when it’s open (though I confess, I have no idea what Jonas reopening the cave does to this theory).

We know the tunnel bridge was closed from November 2019 until it was reopened in June 2020, so can assume it was also closed in the same 7 month time period 33 years into the future, the same time period that original Jonas was stuck there, so that was why he couldn't use the tunnel to return, and had to use the bubble in the nuclear power plant instead.    And if the tunnel is open after June 27 2053, could you possible leap frog further into the future to 2086.

47 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

There’s some uncertainty as to how ‘apocalyptic’ the apocalypse actually was. As you say, there seems to be technological advances (the light, the drone copter things). It’s possible it affected Winden and some area around it, but the rest of the world is OK. The only people we see are people who actually want to be there; Jonas because he needs to get home, and everyone else seems to believe this Sic Mundus prophecy that the portal will lead them all to paradise or whatever it is.

I forgot about the drone ship, so yeah, the apocalypse may have been more localized, and not the end of the entire world.

4 hours ago, Leofric said:

...but our main characters seemed to only choose the path to 1986 when they entered in 2019. 

Ulrich travels from 2019 to 1953.  He takes the left fork, whereas Jonas took the right one.

3 hours ago, Leofric said:

We know the tunnel bridge was closed from November 2019 until it was reopened in June 2020, so can assume it was also closed in the same 7 month time period 33 years into the future, the same time period that original Jonas was stuck there, so that was why he couldn't use the tunnel to return, and had to use the bubble in the nuclear power plant instead.    And if the tunnel is open after June 27 2053, could you possible leap frog further into the future to 2086.

Ah yea, good point. The problem with the wormhole being open longer than a fixed period is, what happens in say, 2002? Does that ‘count’ as the future of the 86 opening or the past of the 2019 one? We know that from 2019 you can go to 53 or 86, so it matters as to what your options would be. It’s much cleaner if the cave is only open for a fixed period of time, so it’s basically a giant M on a straight timeline - whichever time you go in, the other two are you options. So hopefully it’ll closed again in Season 3, and make it two offset M’s, but not leave us with the awkward question of where the overlap is.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

Ulrich travels from 2019 to 1953.  He takes the left fork, whereas Jonas took the right one.

Ah that's right, toss out that theory.   haven't had time to talk with anyone else on this so good to bounce ideas around.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Ah yea, good point. The problem with the wormhole being open longer than a fixed period is, what happens in say, 2002? Does that ‘count’ as the future of the 86 opening or the past of the 2019 one? We know that from 2019 you can go to 53 or 86, so it matters as to what your options would be. It’s much cleaner if the cave is only open for a fixed period of time, so it’s basically a giant M on a straight timeline - whichever time you go in, the other two are you options. So hopefully it’ll closed again in Season 3, and make it two offset M’s, but not leave us with the awkward question of where the overlap is.

Based on what briantw pointed out, and the season 3 trailer talking about a third cycle it makes more sense for the tunnels to be closed system   that only allowed travel for a short period of time in November of 1953/1986/2019 and then again was opened again in June of 2020 by Jonas/Claudia , though we don't know for sure if it now connects 1954/1987/2020, or based upon the bright lights Katarina saw, it is now doing something new because of the apocalypse, such as accessing the other world.     

If I remember correctly no one used the tunnel to travel in season 2 before Jonas/Claudia went in to open it and Katarina at the end, they all traveled using the portable devices or the things under the church in 1921 and in the reactor, though I am not sure, as it was confusing with everyone always taking the devices into the caves to use them, even though at the end older Jonas and alternate Martha both use their devices outside of the cave system.

7 hours ago, Leofric said:

If I remember correctly no one used the tunnel to travel in season 2 before Jonas/Claudia went in to open it and Katarina at the end, they all traveled using the portable devices or the things under the church in 1921 and in the reactor, though I am not sure, as it was confusing with everyone always taking the devices into the caves to use them, even though at the end older Jonas and alternate Martha both use their devices outside of the cave system.

I’m just rewatching Season 2 now, I’m trying to remember if there was a scene where someone tried the caves and there was just solid dirt behind the cave door? Or I might have imagined it. But I’m pretty sure nobody uses them. Its worth asking though, seeing as the Stranger’s creation of the caves seemed to work backwards (i.e their existence was projected into the past from the date of their creation), but we don’t know how what Jonas did differed from what Stranger did. 

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m just rewatching Season 2 now, I’m trying to remember if there was a scene where someone tried the caves and there was just solid dirt behind the cave door? Or I might have imagined it.

That happened when Jonas tried using the passage in 1921. 

Archived