Dark: Netflix's Time-Bending German Mystery Series {Spoilers from page 5}

AncalagonTheBlack

24 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Prediction.... someone will try to adapt this as a movie for Americans audiences, and it will suck. 

Damn this is a good show. 

It seems that, by the standards of foreign language shows, Dark is very successful. Whether that makes it not worth a remake, I don’t know. I doubt it. They did it with The Returned as I recall and I didn’t finish the first episode of that.

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

It seems that, by the standards of foreign language shows, Dark is very successful. Whether that makes it not worth a remake, I don’t know. I doubt it. They did it with The Returned as I recall and I didn’t finish the first episode of that.

Returned is a really good comparison. That is a show that blew me away in its original form but lost everything that made it interesting when converted.

I think the fact that Dark is a peculiarly German makes it all the more special, especially as a non German. It adds to the mystery and the intellectual nature of the show , seeing as how I’m forced to read subtitles ( don’t watch dubbed versions people... EVER) and there is just an assumption of the exotic and dangerous in those oppressive German forests.

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

The thing about Dark, is that because it's so well written and nuanced --which is the reason all of us nerds on this site dig it so much-- there's no way to cram this much story into a 2-hour movie... Yet, I'm sure some studio exec will get it green-lit and they'll hack it to pieces .... kind of like the Dark Tower... 

If HBO or Netflix decided to re-make it as a tv show, then I'd be excited...   

The only thing that’d peak my interest is if they waited till ageing technology was literally perfect, and affordable for a TV show, so they could have the same actors play all the time periods. Even then, it’d take some doing to make it as good. 

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Prediction.... someone will try to adapt this as a movie for Americans audiences, and it will suck. 

Damn this is a good show. 

Not impossible though, I liked 'the Bridge' mostly.

I wonder if one solution to unravel this whole thing is to prevent the construction of the power plant, which will lead to the whole town of Winden dying off essentially, but potentially still allowing for people to exist, but spread out, leading very different lives. 

Oh man, I didn't even think to look here for a Dark thread. I love this show so fucking much. The thing that blows my mind the most is the near perfect casting for the same character through the years. I seriously thought Ulrich was just put into old man make-up until the internet told me differently (yeah, I know, this has probably already been said, but they are really fucking good at casting for all of them).

I think it's being released midnight Pacific time.

Some thoughts on the first episode S3.

Spoiler

So the first thing to address this season is something that I had, and still have, some big reservations about. I'm talking about the parallel universe / alternate version of history. From the end of last season this got me feeling rather worried.

One of the elements of S1 of Dark that really appealed to me was that it seemed to be built on a premise that everyone is stuck in a loop, that cannot be broken or changed. Everything that happened will happen again etc. That was an incredibly powerful construct narratively. One of the things I liked about it was that it created an enormous challenge for the writers.. how do you end a story that has its ending already determined. 

The show has gone in a slightly more scifi direction from that point, with further time periods and the apocalypse.. which I also still have reservations about. 

Alternate universes seems like an easy way out of the prison the writers have created, a way to break the loop from the outside. It's not very satisfying however as a concept, its a bit tired and feels like something anyone would write. I was quite scared they would just use it write their way out in a rather obvious hand wavey kind of way.

So S301 was a mixed bag for me. The alternate timeline stuff was interesting, seeing how many little parts change and which stay the same (people are better looking in this universe for some reason). I did actually enjoy seeing the story repeated from a different perspective, although that in itself is in some ways frustrating. 

Having Jonas and Martha being almost mirroring each others journeys in one way is interesting, but on the other hand it feels a little derivative. I really liked the 'romance' element for them as it was previously set up, because it was utterly hopeless, they could never be together. While that might sort of remain true, I do hope there isn't some happy ending there. 

Other notes:

- The scarlipped time triplets who burn down the house, again quite a cool idea that the same person from 3 times is working together at the same time.. it all felt a little staged in its choreography though. I am interested to know what is going on there.

- What was that 'Star wipe' video effect between dimensions. That wasn't great. Surely they could have found a better filter than that. 

Overall I really enjoyed episode one, I still have misgivings, but I am quietly confident that the show will deliver as well considered story and won't do anything stupid. It has always delivered for me before.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Some thoughts on the first episode S3.

Spoiler

Alt-Woller regains his eye, but lost something else is hilarious.

Ulrich is still a dog.

Not going to post about the other changes (nor things that didn't change) but I appreciated all the little differences.

I'm on ep. 3.

Oh, regarding ageing of the child actors

Spoiler

They seem to be suggesting that alt-Mikkel actually is older than Jonas-world Mikkel.  He's old enough not to need a babysitter.  Obviously a way to deal with the actor's aging.  I don't mind even though it doesn't make any sense if you want to get down to biology.  They probably could have just had Mikkel not exist in this timeline.  Or they could have cast a different actor to play Mikkel that looks sufficiently different to acknowledge that it isn't biologically the same Mikkel (being a few years older) but Ulrich and Katerina named him the same.

I'd say after 2 episodes in, I really needed to do a proper rewatch. There are so many open threads, characters in different times, doing different things at different points. I realised there were so many little elements where I didn't quite remember what had happened. The recap really didn't help all that much either.

Might have to have the Dark Wiki guide open the entire time.

This is the website I use btw, it is very well made.

https://darknetflix.io

And done.  No worries guys, it stuck the landing.  :thumbsup:

Some of the intertwining timelines were confusing but I think I followed most of it.  Maybe in a year or 33 I'll do a rewatch. 

I think some of the middle episodes are just on the edge of being tiresome to see repetition of scenes or dialogue we've seen before, but didn't cross the line.  YMMV.

At no time did it feel they were making it up as they were going along.  It obviously followed a plan and they had to figure it out right from the beginning.  What a feat!

Four episodes in, minor spoilers...

Spoiler

Jonas should really have learned by now not to trust older versions of people residing in supervillain lairs who send him somewhere to perform a task.

6 episodes in:

Spoiler

Hmmm, really not sure about all this. Last few episodes have felt like they are repeating the same plot points over and over. Makes sense I guess in a show about history repeating itself. But how many times can I watch someone say ‘They lied to you.. you need to do this instead’. It must have happened 10 times by now.

Plus I’m not sure the alternate dimension has helped the storyline. It feels like it’s just added another layer of unnecessary complexity to the plot. Now there are a million threads running in all different directions.

And the missing element is a human story, which is what makes the show so great. Nothing has hit me as hard as Ulric going back in time to find his son. 

Im not really complaining, think things will pick up. But that’s where I am

Just a warning to avoid the wiki with the family tree that was linked to on the previous page, or at least fix the settings not to spoil the final episode reveal.   The episode gives evidence indirectly, the wiki explicitly confirms it.

Archived