My Podcast: Celtic Myths & Legends

Theda Baratheon

1 minute ago, Seli said:

It was another nice episode, I don't think I'd ever heard of this story before.

Your narration was really nice, I did enjoy the bits where you really went into storytelling mode.

A lightly weird thing: with my earphones in it did sound like you were moving in front of the microphone.

Thank you! 

Yes the audio quality wasn't so good in this episode. I was basically panicking because I hadn't uploaded anything in awhile and so just rambled on about what I had just been studying lol. Also my chair is very squeaky and I was adjusting my weight a lot getting comfortable when recording. I might go back to using music to sneakily hide some of the smaller noises! 

I will definitely try and go into storytelling mode at some point properly. At present I've been quite conversational but I look forward to telling a folk tale as a story & not just a series of events one of these episodes.

Thank you so much for listening! ^_^

I am considering (if the podcast gets a little bit more popular) setting up a patreon for it though. At the moment Facebook ad costs & hosting it on a website costs are all coming out of my own (reasonably poor student) pocket lol so it would be nice to be able to get a better plan on the website & upload more content (I'm restricted to 50mg a month which is roughly 1 half hour ep) and some more ads on Facebook to kick start it but it's too early days yet & feels way too cheeky to ask people for money for something that really is just a hobby for me even though I've had to pay for it on some months when I haven't uploaded anything it's been my choice to do that. 

Are we sure that this isn't just a story of a really long lad's night out? Because it feels like it's just a bunch of goons going about peeping on girls and having a grand old time.

I love that about half the story is about them sailing up to an island and upon seeing what is on it deciding "fuck that shit" and just leaving. Literally this if you just changed silly for any other adjective

Giants seem to be very important in Celtic myths. We already had Big Bad Bran and we know about Finn McCool (That name sounds so anachronistic, I always imagine him wearing a backwards cap and sunglasses), Balor of the Fomorians is a giant, and it isn't hard to find other giant's though somewhat more obscure. I am always really curious where that comes from, because to my knowledge these giants are never portrayed as Christians. Obviously the reading could be that they represent the godless, sometimes savage pagans, especially in this story, but the common nature of them across the board suggests that this is something distinctly Celtic. Contrast it with the giants in Scandinavian mythology, and you see very distinct ideas of who or what giants are. Seems like this is something that really managed to survive within the Irish culture as the two worlds, pagan and Christian, came together.

Now I want a episode all about comparative giant mythology.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Are we sure that this isn't just a story of a really long lad's night out? Because it feels like it's just a bunch of goons going about peeping on girls and having a grand old time.

I love that about half the story is about them sailing up to an island and upon seeing what is on it deciding "fuck that shit" and just leaving. Literally this if you just changed silly for any other adjective

Giants seem to be very important in Celtic myths. We already had Big Bad Bran and we know about Finn McCool (That name sounds so anachronistic, I always imagine him wearing a backwards cap and sunglasses), Balor of the Fomorians is a giant, and it isn't hard to find other giant's though somewhat more obscure. I am always really curious where that comes from, because to my knowledge these giants are never portrayed as Christians. Obviously the reading could be that they represent the godless, sometimes savage pagans, especially in this story, but the common nature of them across the board suggests that this is something distinctly Celtic. Contrast it with the giants in Scandinavian mythology, and you see very distinct ideas of who or what giants are. Seems like this is something that really managed to survive within the Irish culture as the two worlds, pagan and Christian, came together.

Now I want a episode all about comparative giant mythology.

Lads on tour!!!! Lol.  I love that. 

The only casualties are one of his step brothers dying, 2 being lost to an island and then one bloke chopping his own hand off (I think) so not too grisly really! Definitly mostly a grand old time. 

The whole pagan v ChristIan thing is pretty interesting because that's how people have always viewed it but...I honestly personally don't read any inherent anti-pagan sentiments in this text, other scholars certainly have but to me the only vicious person they encounter before their quest is the man of the church community who mocks Máel Dúin for not avenging his father.

Ooh. ..giants...that would be a very interesting episode to do but would require a good bit of research - will definitely consider covering this in the future!  

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Lads on tour!!!! Lol.  I love that. 

The only casualties are one of his step brothers dying, 2 being lost to an island and then one bloke chopping his own hand off (I think) so not too grisly really! Definitly mostly a grand old time. 

The whole pagan v ChristIan thing is pretty interesting because that's how people have always viewed it but...I honestly personally don't read any inherent anti-pagan sentiments in this text, other scholars certainly have but to me the only vicious person they encounter before their quest is the man of the church community who mocks Máel Dúin for not avenging his father.

Ooh. ..giants...that would be a very interesting episode to do but would require a good bit of research - will definitely consider covering this in the future!  

I was actually reading an article in the Guardian the other day about the rise of men dying on stag dos, so this seems pretty par for the course.

I agree  that there was much in the way of anti-pagan bias, in fact, I went into it expecting a lot, but in the end it wasn't anything particularly egregious, unless some of the bad islands represent some old Celtic beliefs that are now lost to time. I for one truly hope that the Celts had a belief that somewhere out there was an island full of people just screaming, but the explanation you presented is more likely. I just wonder if their inclusion isn't perhaps evidence that this story is based on an older story that the Christians co-opted, but in order to keep things familiar one has to leave certain elements intact. We see this all the time with Christians, they come in, they co-opt holidays, certain traditions, and often taking bits and pieces of stories or tropes that are culturally significant and use them in their own tales that espouse their beliefs.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the Irish have always had something of a concept of a large Ireland, and of Irish culture, and while cultural tradition would vary somewhat place to place, there must have been cultural touchstones throughout the land that even the introduction of Christianity couldn't do away with entirely, similar to how things went with the Christainization of Scandinavia. The priests back then couldn't have all been Romans, there had to be a large population of native Irish priests who were doing the work, and even if they had converted religions, their culture and those touchstones remained.

I think Irish Immrama are Monastic in nature so they are Christian however it's absolutely possibly that they are often based on older Irish stories.  They are certainly using Irish mythology (with its allusions to old paganism and beliefs) to delight audiences. At the end of the text the author claims he wrote it to delight people and as such it seems that this text in particular is first meant to delight rather than solely contain strict Christian propaganda if you will.

what is so interesting about it is the fact it uses elements of Irish mythology set within a Christian context & moral code to entertain. So it's arguably using both Christian and pagan elements. The Ireland in which it was written had been Christian for centuries but it still opens up an interesting dialogue about how the medieval Irish viewed their pagan past. Much like the Mabinogion does in Wales. 

3 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I was actually reading an article in the Guardian the other day about the rise of men dying on stag dos, so this seems pretty par for the course.

I agree  that there was much in the way of anti-pagan bias, in fact, I went into it expecting a lot, but in the end it wasn't anything particularly egregious, unless some of the bad islands represent some old Celtic beliefs that are now lost to time. I for one truly hope that the Celts had a belief that somewhere out there was an island full of people just screaming, but the explanation you presented is more likely. I just wonder if their inclusion isn't perhaps evidence that this story is based on an older story that the Christians co-opted, but in order to keep things familiar one has to leave certain elements intact. We see this all the time with Christians, they come in, they co-opt holidays, certain traditions, and often taking bits and pieces of stories or tropes that are culturally significant and use them in their own tales that espouse their beliefs.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the Irish have always had something of a concept of a large Ireland, and of Irish culture, and while cultural tradition would vary somewhat place to place, there must have been cultural touchstones throughout the land that even the introduction of Christianity couldn't do away with entirely, similar to how things went with the Christainization of Scandinavia. The priests back then couldn't have all been Romans, there had to be a large population of native Irish priests who were doing the work, and even if they had converted religions, their culture and those touchstones remained.

Adding from my last post (forgot to quote you there) Echtrae were the old Irish literature that seems distinctly pagan, taking place in a Celtic/Irish "Otherworld" I might do an episode on "Orherworlds" as the same exists in Wales. 

18 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I found it on pocket casts, and I have added it! Look forward to listening, and thank you for providing more podcasts for my commute!

It keeps popping up on random apps and stuff which I'm very happy about it!! Glad to know where people are listening to it as well! Thanks so much! :D

On 4/12/2018 at 2:44 AM, GrimTuesday said:

I love that about half the story is about them sailing up to an island and upon seeing what is on it deciding "fuck that shit" and just leaving. 

Yeah, that was funny as hell. I would’ve been thinking the same thing if I was part of that crew. Were the ants giants, normal size or just abnormally bigger on that one island? I mean at least it wasn’t spiders.

That was a really fun and wild one, just not knowing what craziness they would run into next. This would be a good cartoon movie, or something. 

Great job as usual and I look forward to the next one.

8 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, that was funny as hell. I would’ve been thinking the same thing if I was part of that crew. Were the ants giants, normal size or just abnormally bigger on that one island? I mean at least it wasn’t spiders.

That was a really fun and wild one, just not knowing what craziness they would run into next. This would be a good cartoon movie, or something. 

Great job as usual and I look forward to the next one.

Lmao. It' actually a pretty funny text. My fave bit is when they get to the island with the beautiful hostess and they keep asking her to sleep with Maél Dúin and that she's there to housekeep for him and she's just like "LMAO AS IF, FELLAS" and then kicks them off her island and hides it 

I would love to watch a cartoon of this lol

And thank you! :D

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Hi guys! Was wondering what would people be more interested in next episode: 

Breton folklore
Scottish Folklore
Manx folklore ???

cheers!

I probably know the least about Manx folklore (even though with this set this sin't saying much), so I'd like to hear about that most. But any of these will have new things for me.

6 hours ago, Seli said:

I probably know the least about Manx folklore (even though with this set this sin't saying much), so I'd like to hear about that most. But any of these will have new things for me.

Breton folklore please. I have a bit of Breton ancestry so that would be interesting.

7 hours ago, Seli said:

29 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Breton folklore please. I have a bit of Breton ancestry so that would be interesting.

Interesting!!! Facebook was much the same, people more interested in breton folklore but twittrer has been overwhelmingly scottish folklore lol! just to confuse me! Thank you for your answers :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived